Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I bought the Mopar splash guard /mini mudflaps a long time ago. Just tried fitting them with the supplied parts, and it looks like there is something not provided..... The front ones are designed to just pop in with some odd looking plastic rivet. The instructions show some weird clip that is not provided with the set. Anyone got any ideas? It's the wing nut looking image ? But the rivet is plastic! Dig 4 with the little 2x next to it? What is it ?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
That is a plastic rivet tool. I have a link to one in my article on the splash guards Splash Guards / Front License Bracket , but I don't recall paying $26 for it!

I think I would consider just buying a few black aluminum screws to use in their place. That would make the splash guards removable too, in case you need to ever change the side marker light.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Yes, you just remove the two OE pop clips and replace with the plastic rivets using the rivet "gun" (push down on the two "wings" twice, or use a regular rivet gun, and as the "shaft" is pulled through it splays outwards around the rear face of the wheel arch liner) since the OE clips are not strong enough to secure the mud flaps. Being able to remove the fittings is not a bad idea, but I'm not sure that a self tapping screw (into plastic) will be very secure, I'd see about using sone sort of flat head screw with a nut, but i'm not sure how accesible it is to get behind the wheel arch liner. Alternatively you could just drill out the rivets, they are only plastic.

Reactions: ameridan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies, I have to admit I never considered a plastic rivet gun 😂. Had run a search but nothing had come up for me, so thanks for sharing the link.

I had a look at the fittings and trying to work out if I want the guard outside the liner, or behind the liner. If behind the liner then the fit against the edge of the front sill is better..... What have people done here before?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mopar's illustrators are seriously challenged. The instructions that came with my brake, accelerator, and dead pedal covers resembled cave drawings. I found some Mazda instructions, which were much better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mopar's illustrators are seriously challenged. The instructions that came with my brake, accelerator, and dead pedal covers resembled cave drawings. I found some Mazda instructions, which were much better.
Oh I've had that fun last year when I put in the dead pedal, which us harder on the RHD. I bought the dead pedal for the MX-5, and equally poor instructions, I wonder were they all Mazda drawings?...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a plastic rivet tool. I have a link to one in my article on the splash guards Splash Guards / Front License Bracket , but I don't recall paying $26 for it!

I think I would consider just buying a few black aluminum screws to use in their place. That would make the splash guards removable too, in case you need to ever change the side marker light.
I had a look and the lower rivet position is into plastic, however the upper one is into metal on the wing, ideally a big plastic screw here would be ideal, or I could coat the upper metal screw in PTFE tape so as not to chip the paint. Thanks for the link to the website earlier, was very helpful and I've been dipping in and out of it over the last 3 years of 124 ownership, it's a great resource. 👍

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I understand the desire for language-free global instructions, but they need to be adequate to indicate what is being illustrated. They really seem to fail when nouns are not available to describe unfamiliar items and when verbs are not available to describe special actions.

Sometimes, 10 words are worth 1,000 pictures!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Adding to Magoffin's observation: There is q difference between simplifying to reach a wider audience and dumbing something down to the point you lose the audience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts