Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep....it's sort of a review of an MX5 RF....but I also agreed with the premise of his article. That it's "more fun to drive a slow car fast".

Based on the rate that a lot of people on the forum are rushing to modify the h.ell out of their 124s, I'm not expecting a lot of agreement, but I think this guy has got it right...

http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/02/when-slow-is-fast-the-mazda-mx-5-rf/

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I will tell you this: I have my 124, and I have a 700 whp Challenger. I'm having more fun driving my 124, and I'm starting to consider selling the Challenger.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Shark:
I wholeheartedly agree. Exactly what I was alluding to in a previous post comparing my fast cars(Vette, 911) to the 124. I have a couple of friends who own Challengers, and I always tease them about their "useful" 700 whp. Where are you going to use that?? To quote the Grateful Dead..."Trouble ahead, trouble behind...."...I'd rather have controllable fun....

·
Registered
870 Posts
Yep....it's sort of a review of an MX5 RF....but I also agreed with the premise of his article. That it's "more fun to drive a slow car fast".

Based on the rate that a lot of people on the forum are rushing to modify the h.ell out of their 124s, I'm not expecting a lot of agreement, but I think this guy has got it right...

http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/02/when-slow-is-fast-the-mazda-mx-5-rf/
An excellent article, and we should all subscribe to the premise of driving a slow car fast...a slap on the wrist
is much preferred to a tow truck and an ambulance ride....don't ask...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Fully agree! And the photography!!! Excellent review.
...And I wish the 124 got the same left instrument as the RF, rather than the dumb "5% range" thermometer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I will tell you this: I have my 124, and I have a 700 whp Challenger. I'm having more fun driving my 124, and I'm starting to consider selling the Challenger.
You and I have chatted before as a former Charger and Challenger owner and although mine was only 370hp, I have been having a lot more fun with the 124 the past couple weeks as well. Definitely continue to feel that I made the right choice.

·
Registered
726 Posts
My 2010 Corvette Grand Sport had 436 HP, which I rarely used, given that most of my driving is in the city and I don't track. Funny, I'm driving my 124 much more aggressively than I drove the Corvette. Today I was scolded by my partner to "slow it down and take it easy", lol.

No, I'm not going to add the HP mods many members are getting. The 124 is a blast just the way it is.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fully agree! And the photography!!! Excellent review.
...And I wish the 124 got the same left instrument as the RF, rather than the dumb "5% range" thermometer.
Yep....the pics are amazing and it is a spot on review of the car.

My wife constantly curses the Abarth's speedometer increments. The MX5's are in 20kph increments (20/40/60/80/100 etc). The Abarth's are at 30kph increments. Aus speed limits are (typically) 40, 50, 60, 80, 100 & (occasionally) 110. So a lot of the time you are guessing with the Abarth's 30/60/90/120 markers. Actually, I really liked the additional digital readout on the BRZ and it would be nice if both the MX5 & 124 had this.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And I should add - normally on the same stretch of road :mad::mad:
Yep. Set to intentionally confuse the motorist and generate maximum "speed revenue" collection.

That's the way it works in Aus.....and especially in f#<&ing Victoria!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I learned this expensive lesson when after decades of riding Harleys I switched to Ducati. Sport bikes have to be going stupid fast to be entertaining. That gets downright dangerous! 60 mph on a hog is more fun that 120 on a Duc! Same for the Fiat. I have driven a Ferrari at high speed and I like the Fiat better. YMMV.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I've had 4 Harleys' over the years along with several other sport bikes and I currently have a Super Blackbird, which is the 4th one since I find it to be probably my favorite one in regards to comfort and speed; however, I feel the opposite and have more fun going fast or slow (mostly fast) on the Bird as compared to any of the Harleys. In regards to the topic of this thread I do not think I can pick one over the other but I can say that I would rather drive the Porsche, Viper, Vette. Hemi, Ferrari, etc. I once had over some of the more slower cars any day of the week: a slow car will always be slow no matter how you drive it! And I am not sure what defines "slow" or "fast": top speed, 0-60, as compared to what, etc.

·
Registered
956 Posts
If by "slow" car, he means under 150 mph top speed, I will agree. However, I'm not ever going to be satisfied with a Prius or a Smart Car (dumb car). When I want to pass someone, I want to get it over quickly. That's why I bought, and modified, the Spider.

·
Registered
476 Posts
in many areas of the US a fast car is useless as there is too little room to get going without interacting with others. very few places you can drive 70-150 and even fewer where it is legal. meaning if you try to enjoy the car you will probably be pissing off and/or scaring others on the road and risking a hefty fine and maybe lose license. just not very practical in my mind. a 124 taken on a back road around here will be tons of fun a viper will feel throttled, just not designed to go slow. IMO

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If by "slow" car, he means under 150 mph top speed, I will agree. However, I'm not ever going to be satisfied with a Prius or a Smart Car (dumb car). When I want to pass someone, I want to get it over quickly. That's why I bought, and modified, the Spider.
Agree. When I mean a slow car I mean something slower than 0-60mph in around 6 to 7 seconds. I would consider this "brisk" performance but, these days, it's by no means "fast" (although 15-20 years ago it would have been). For me a 6 to 7 second car is more than adequate these days.

Reactions: hefbadr

·
Registered
956 Posts
Agree. When I mean a slow car I mean something slower than 0-60mph in around 6 to 7 seconds. I would consider this "brisk" performance but, these days, it's by no means "fast" (although 15-20 years ago it would have been). For me a 6 to 7 second car is more than adequate these days.
Under that criteria, my Lusso is a fast car, of course 0-60 is not the ultimate measure of performance. (5.98 < 6 to 7)>:)

Reactions: Cakewalk

·
Vendor
3,662 Posts
I find "fun to drive" really hard to quantify. I personally find the 124 fun to drive in a wide variety of conditions. It's fun to put through the city, and it's fun on the back roads near my home.

I don't think it has a lot to do with power, although more power makes an already fun car more fun.

Most 60's European sports cars are fun to drive, but really slow. For example, a 67' Fiat 850 is fun to drive, I don't think anyone who has driven one would say otherwise. However under perfect conditions it might manage 0-60 in 16 seconds, that involves a lot of clutch slipping and two shifts at 7000rpm. It's fun, but it takes a long time. Handling is great, up to a point, but nowhere near as good as a newer car.The weight of that cast iron block behind the rear axle tries to make the car swap ends.

Contrast this with a late model Buick Lucerne with a Northstar V8. That car has pretty good performance, but it's not really fun.

Fiat does a really good job of making cars fun to drive. Even my 500L, which is really dull by Fiat standards is still pretty fun.

Greg

·
Retired Moderator
669 Posts
I have to agree 100%....let's look at my last 3 cars before this one...a 2010 Corvette Grand Sport manual tranny with 830 HP, a 2010 Corvette Grand Sport manual tranny with 436 HP and a 2015 Corvette Z06 manual tranny with 650 HP...now to the bold statement...I find the Fiat 124 the most fun I have had driving a car in several years including these 3 cars...I could explain why but I think most of you already know why...:D

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The Fiat is a more engaging drive at lower speeds. You have to work it to get it to go. With a big [engined] car just push the right foot. G-forces are fun - look at the popularity of rollercoasters - but when you have to work to make it happen, it takes it to another level.

As an aside, way back when computers were new, to play a game, you had to type the code in from a print out in a magazine. Which could take an hour or so, and if you made a mistake, you could spend another hour or so debugging it. Then you can move a 'block' left and right, to avoid the other 'blocks'. And you loved it! It was a really, really cool game! Because you had to make it!

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I wish high powered cars were as easy as pushing the pedal. Traction and stability play a huge role, and it requires finesse. There are different kinds of cars for different kinds of fun, and I love having all kinds of fun.

Reactions: Cakewalk
1 - 20 of 40 Posts