Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You've seen the cars.. A one-of-a-kind. That's has parts on it..that you would love to have. Well this one has two parts..that I can see..that I want. But more than likely will never attain. But! It give me motivation to look and new goals!!

The first one is the quad head lamps on the from facia. Man that's sexy!

Second one is the two lower red piece on the front lower splitter. This would complement the rid lip spoiler/splitter..greatly.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree with your taste in cars and mods.

I can't help you with the rare as unicorns - quad driving light setup,

But I saw a very similar front splitter on Brian Goodwin's forum. I don't believe the part was available from him but it was on a customers car that he got to drive. If you ask him nicely he may be able to get some more info on if or where it is available. You will note it is a little different but great looking nonetheless. scroll to the bottom of page 10 for pics.
http://www.mazdatalkforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3567&start=135

Good luck with your obsession:D

·
Vendor
3,653 Posts
Anyone know more about this car:

That's not a factory Rally car, I am curious if it really runs in competitive events or if it's just for the look. Either way I like it, I am just curious about it.

Greg

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
That car does look like a standard 'replica': the quad lights look like a single bolt-on piece, standard 4 bolt hubs. Does appear to have a tan top, though. Nicely done, though: I do like the OZ wheels.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Actually, for the light pods, you could make a carbon fiber or fiberglass mold and make some...the only 'harsh' part is drilling holes to mount them. I'd copy the factory. The interesting thing about the factory grille mounted lights is that they are at the very outside - right where the tow attachment is.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love that factory car set up too @Greg

I found that car on Instagram and it appears to be in Japan. other than that...no more info then that. Also appears they changed the seats and the splitter and headlight surround are a glossy finish.
@SteveWy that is an option. Was hoping for a part though...

·
Registered
211 Posts
...as for the lower two pieces. Just have your paint shop guy paint them. easy peasy
I am not sure if it is that simple. I am looking for a way to spruce up the front of my Abarth and thought some body coloured paint would be the best option. But I went to two different body shops and they both recommended against it saying that the material used for the lower grill surround is not meant to take paint. It is designed to resist scuffs, scratches and chips and the paint will not bond well with it. They both said it could be done but no matter how they prepped it, it would become a chipped mess in less than a year.

I hope someone tries it though and can prove them wrong.

Reactions: Mike34

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
That car does look like a standard 'replica': the quad lights look like a single bolt-on piece, standard 4 bolt hubs. Does appear to have a tan top, though. Nicely done, though: I do like the OZ wheels.
The tan top is interesting. Looks like an Italian tri-color stripe on top. The license plate is a giveaway that this is a street car. The white O.Z. Leggenda was my first choice for my wheels. I was disappointed to learn that they do not make a center cap for it. I wound up buying my second choice the O.Z. Formula 4. I worked the Abarth logo into their center cap. One of the other members has done this with their grey wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
The license plate is a giveaway that this is a street car.
Not really, rally cars are all required to be street legal and registered with plates. They have to transit between stages on public roads. Even WRC cars, take a look and they all have plates, at least on the rear.

·
Vendor
3,653 Posts
Not really, rally cars are all required to be street legal and registered with plates. They have to transit between stages on public roads. Even WRC cars, take a look and they all have plates, at least on the rear.

That's exactly what I love about Rally cars. They are usually based at least somewhat on a real production car, and like a real road car, they have to operate on real roads in all types of weather and conditions.

Greg

·
Registered
676 Posts
Greg,

Peppered through several posts are comments on the desire to make the car have a more rally look. To that, a replacement front grill that has flush mount LED lights like the Abarth rally car. Obvisously they would need to me spaced closer together due to the tow hook, but still it would be a VERY cool aftermarket option.

·
Vendor
3,653 Posts
Greg,

Peppered through several posts are comments on the desire to make the car have a more rally look. To that, a replacement front grill that has flush mount LED lights like the Abarth rally car. Obvisously they would need to me spaced closer together due to the tow hook, but still it would be a VERY cool aftermarket option.
I am thinking about this. I am not sure if we could sell enough of them to offset the initial tooling costs. There are not a lot of 124s out there. Plus rally racing just isn't popular in the US. For example, we make a rally racing skid plate for the 500 Abarth. It's great. It's very strong, looks good, and it even makes servicing the car easier. You don't need to remove it to change oil, or to recover dropped tools, nut and bolts, etc. I doubt we sell three of these a year.

I'll look into that grille and those recessed driving lights, but I think it will cost prohibitive in this market. On the plus side, our dyno is here, and will be set up in another week or two. We are really looking forward to bumping the power up even more than we already have. Our big intercooler is making this a lot easier and safer. The dyno allows us to do testing we couldn't do before (nobody could, it's literally the first of this type in the US), so all the pieces are coming together in terms of engine performance.

Greg

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Skid plate and rally lights in the grille...oh yeah!

I have some 'halo' fog/driving lights, but can't figure out the best way to remove the grille. Also, adding a switch - it'd be nice to have an additional switch on the switch panel in the car (the Abarth has traction control and blind spots switches, it looks like there's room for 4 more). Then there's cutting the grille, mounting the lights, molding housings for the lights, and then getting a new grille because I effed up the original...I can see how it can get expensive.

The skid plate, it seems would be a more aesthetic thing. The oil drain has its own plate, so unless it was very long, it's only replacing that light weight panel under the front of the engine...not that it wouldn't be a pretty neat idea in and of itself.

·
Vendor
3,653 Posts
Skid plate and rally lights in the grille...oh yeah!

I have some 'halo' fog/driving lights, but can't figure out the best way to remove the grille. Also, adding a switch - it'd be nice to have an additional switch on the switch panel in the car (the Abarth has traction control and blind spots switches, it looks like there's room for 4 more). Then there's cutting the grille, mounting the lights, molding housings for the lights, and then getting a new grille because I effed up the original...I can see how it can get expensive.

The skid plate, it seems would be a more aesthetic thing. The oil drain has its own plate, so unless it was very long, it's only replacing that light weight panel under the front of the engine...not that it wouldn't be a pretty neat idea in and of itself.
The Spider's plate that blocks access to the oil drain plug has like 12 bolts holding on. The 500 has a big plastic shield, like the one the 124 has forward of the metal plate. The dealers don't care because they don't drain the oil when they change it, they suck it out from the top. Having easy access to the drain plug is really nice for those of use who like to drain the oil. The other thing is that every time you drop something in the engine bay, it's a chore to get it back, with the skid plate it's easy. Plus the skid plate offers actual protection, which is really it's primary job. It's not just an appearance mod.

Greg

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
multitasking...apparently it isn't working for me!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts