Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Based solely on this, the Spider's most nagging need is turbo lag reduction. I didn't feel it was that bad when I drove. Probably more noticeable when driven back-to-back with the Miata.

·
Vendor
3,093 Posts
Based solely on this, the Spider's most nagging need is turbo lag reduction. I didn't feel it was that bad when I drove. Probably more noticeable when driven back-to-back with the Miata.
Now wait a minute. Think about what you just said. You didn't feel the lag was too bad when YOU drove the car, but some journalist says it is, so now that's the most nagging need? Don't let these journalists sway your opinion away from your actual experience.

Turbo lag is something automotive writters almost always complain about, especially in a head to head comparison with a normally aspirated car. The truth is, the 124 has full boost by 2500rpm. That's not bad, there are not many situations in spirited driving when you are below 2500. Lag above 2500 is minimal. Don't believe me? Try this...put the car in third gear at 3000rpm and connect a boost gauge. See if you can get your foot to the floor before boost starts to rise. I'll bet you can't, it's that quick.

Greg

·
Vendor
3,093 Posts
This author also dislikes the way the car looks, and dislikes the way the original looks. I though it was a fair review, but he is clearly a Miata guy.

Regarding lag, there are some things that can be done about it, and I do think you will see some products that will help with it soon, but the bottom line is that it's still a tiny engine, only 1368ccs and without turbo boost it's just not going to do too much.

Greg

·
Registered
382 Posts
I didn't say my opinion was "based solely on this", and I think I did an adequate job of expressing that what I experienced did not coincide with the reviewer's findings.

While I think the Mazda is the more attractive car of the pair, I do not dislike the new Spider's looks and find it faithful to the original (which in my opinion has aged very well).

·
Vendor
3,093 Posts
I didn't say my opinion was "based solely on this", and I think I did an adequate job of expressing that what I experienced did not coincide with the reviewer's findings.

While I think the Mazda is the more attractive car of the pair, I do not dislike the new Spider's looks and find it faithful to the original (which in my opinion has aged very well).
Fair enough! :)

Greg

·
Registered
191 Posts
The truth is, the 124 has full boost by 2500rpm.
I believe that the Abarth (only in 'Sport' mode) will have full boost by 2500 RPM; but not until 3200 RPM for the Classica and Lusso which have no mode selection. The Abarth in standard/eco mode has full boost at 3200 RPM also.

·
Vendor
3,093 Posts
I believe that the Abarth (only in 'Sport' mode) will have full boost by 2500 RPM; but not until 3200 RPM for the Classica and Lusso which have no mode selection. The Abarth in standard/eco mode has full boost at 3200 RPM also.
I should have defined some terms. You are talking about peak boost, which is a function of the ECU program and has nothing to do with lag. I was talking about boost in relation to lag and boost threshold. The car has full boost at 2500rpm, meaning it's not limited by exhaust flow, it will put out the full amount commanded by the ECU, which may be a little below the peak value because the manufacturer wants to soften the push a little.

You are not wrong, but I was writing about a specific context, which is that the journalists complain about lag (often mistaking boost threshold for lag), and that's not an issue by 2500rpm.

Greg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I generally like this guy's reviews on vehicles and the Head-2-Head stuff he does but I don't always agree with him.

When I was shopping for my vehicle I did my own head to head.
For me it was pretty straight forward.

Firstly, styling, which is obviously a subjective component, was hands down the 124 Spider. Nearly impossible to argue this (like saying who is a more attractive Bond girl, Lea Seydoux or Eva Green, I know which I prefer and there is no empirical way to alter that choice).

Secondly, the drive experience, which again can be somewhat subjective. Yes, I felt the turbo lag in the Fiat but also loved the feel of the turbo. I liked what I saw when I looked out the windshield, the bigger hood appealed to me. I enjoyed the cornering with the Fiat better. Can you tell me I'm wrong? Nope. The only thing I preferred about the MX-5 was the engine noise.

Lastly, and most subjectively, was the feeling I had walking up to the vehicle. An immediate, visceral reaction to the Spider.

Now, granted, I wouldn't be happy if all automotive reviews only talked the subjective. We still need to hear about hp/torque etc. But, you can't deny that the best parts of the video where when the reviewer was displaying unadulterated joy while driving either vehicle.

Which is better, who cares. Buy the vehicle that speaks to you and enjoy.

·
Registered
351 Posts
That echos my own sentiments, Abro. I drove a manual Miata and an automatic 124. I was amazed at how different the two cars felt despite being so much the same.

In contrast to the reviewer, I loved the Fiat engine. I didn't notice any turbo lag (which reviewers incessantly whine about with any turbo) but I did notice the torque. I vastly preferred it to the Miata's 2.0L.

As much as I wanted to like the Miata, it never did it for me - it seemed soulless, industrial. I was actually considering a Mini until I tried the Fiat. I felt at home instantly and am now slowing dying waiting for some manuals to appear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts