·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
58 Posts
....does it really matter?

I owned a ski boat and a Chevy Suburban, when I filled both of them up I was hauling over 55 gallons. It wasn't that bad until you filled up the boat on the water where prices are exorbitant. To maintain my sanity I had to just smile and look the other way. I sure do like being on the water.

I mainly use Union 76 gas whenever possible, don't know if it is better than others but when Union 76 refused to add MTBE they won me over. MTBE is the waste product that deteriorated gas lines and caused plenty of engine fires. Whatever they want for premium is just fine with me. I sure do like driving this car.

...besides this article is a ranking of how screwed up our EPA is in estimating gas mileage. Don't get me started!

·
Registered
186 Posts

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I came close to that 14.5 km to a liter highway and driving average 120kph. which these guys did not. More convervative driving it's attainable.

That should poke some of these Miata's affezionatos journalists ego.

The majorities of this car reviews, don't bother doing their Due Diligence on what they have in front of them. They base themselves more on the past then the real product in front of them.

Hyundai is good example. Due to the PONY and Stellar, even today they pay the price of those two citrus cars.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That's a good article. All this real testing has been great for the 124. It beat the MX5 by about 4 seconds at the track, and now beats it by 5mpg on the road. Perhaps this will cause more people to wake up and smell the coffee.

Greg
Or should we say, "...wake up and smell the espresso?"

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Surprised to read the 2.0 Mazda Skyactiv requires premium gas in the ND. I ran a CX-5 with the 2.5 version and don't recall it being a requirement in that car - I certainly never filled it with premium. I also can't imagine Mazda 3 drivers filling up with premium and - on paper - it appears to be the same engine.

Reactions: jyudell

·
Vendor
3,124 Posts
Surprised to read the 2.0 Mazda Skyactiv requires premium gas in the ND. I ran a CX-5 with the 2.5 version and don't recall it being a requirement in that car - I certainly never filled it with premium. I also can't imagine Mazda 3 drivers filling up with premium and - on paper - it appears to be the same engine.
The engine in the MX5 has really high compression.

Greg

·
Registered
353 Posts
I put on about 3-5K mileage a year in each of my cars, so MPG aren't that important or a big deal. However, when we have a long drive, I use the much higher MPG on my Abarth as a reason to take my car over my wife's Lincoln MKC on hers. She likes my car, but is more comfortable in her quieter Lincoln, so the higher MPG card comes out and vroom, away we go. Besides I enjoy watching her try and text on her phone as we bounce along, :D

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
We've got and Abarth 124 and an MX5 RF and I assure you that the Mazda is the more economical of the two cars by about 10%.

Both cars are run on 98RON(93MON)

·
Registered
562 Posts
In a few days, it will be five months since I got my 124A, and have yet to see another Spider in the wild. Most of my MPGs are about 18-19 mpg, though once I got 24 mpg. Less than 2,000 miles on the sports car. Too much Zooming I guess. :confused:
I'm with you. I don't get that great of fuel mileage either, but for the same reasons. I'm not putting a lot of regular miles on it. But when I do drive, I zoom. :)

G

·
0 Posts
Hi All,
Just sharing my experience...
I got my Spider Abarth (6sp manual) in Feb 2017. I now have 27k miles on it, driving around 100 miles per day. Basically 50 miles each way to work and back- so these are long stretches. I have seen as high as 39 mpg round trip, and as low as 33, depending on speed, top up/down, and of course, how aggressively I’m driving. On a typical tank, I’ll average 35 mpg. I’m using Unocal 76 (91 Octane). Just as some others have shared, I barely make 30 mpg on shorter drives.
Glad to see the positive press from MT, and very pleased with the actual mileage.
Love driving that car!!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
My MT 124 is averaging 32mpgs in its first 500 miles with 50/50 city/hwy driving. With rising gas prices, I’m looking forward to that number increasing as the engine gets broken-in. Very happy with the performance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've only had my Lusso Automatic for about 2 weeks. Loving every minute of it. I have to say I'm greatly impressed by the mileage I'm getting. Averaging about 34, and I don't have a particularly light right foot... Takes some of the sting out of putting premium in it at the pump.

·
Registered
241 Posts
UK normal fuel,just a weekend fun car and not driven hard, 44mpg with 2 up 99% of the time as my wife loves to come along, very impressed by the fuel economy.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I get average 7.5l/100km but I don't usually push far beyond the speed limits. I do tend to drive it a bit energetically from time to time.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Premium fuel here is pushing $4/gal, so 30+ MPGs really helps.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
UK normal fuel,just a weekend fun car and not driven hard, 44mpg with 2 up 99% of the time as my wife loves to come along, very impressed by the fuel economy.
Seems about right UK gallons are bigger than US gallons so mpg always seems higher.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts