Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
We've got and Abarth 124 and an MX5 RF and I assure you that the Mazda is the more economical of the two cars by about 10%.

Both cars are run on 98RON(93MON)
I don't doubt what you're saying, Is it possible that the Abarth is driven a little more agressive thus consumption is a little more than the MX5.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
I don't doubt what you're saying, Is it possible that the Abarth is driven a little more agressive thus consumption is a little more than the MX5.
Two cars used to do the same commute driven in the same style over a couple of weeks, the Mazda uses less fuel. There is absolutely not a shred of doubt in my mind that the Mazda is the more economical. The only way you’d get the 124 to beat it would be to drive like you’ve got an egg under the gas pedal and never spool the turbo up. With the Mazda it doesn’t seem to make a lot of difference how you drive it. With the 124 it makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I seldom drive my Abarth on the interstate, or even get it any higher than fourth gear. My average gas mileage so far is in the upper 20's. However on a couple of trips I set the display to show instant gas mileage. Cruising along with the cruse control engaged and in sixth gear I usually see the reading between 36 and 38 mpg. I live in Florida so the only hills we have are the overpasses on the interstate, and I do not know the accuracy of the computer, but it seems to do about the same average mileage that my previous Miatas have, I've owned five of those over the years.

Wayne

·
Registered
274 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
2 weeks ago I took a ride with my son from Montreal to Burlington, VT On my way back I gassed premium 93 octane.
I drove the car as if the cops were chasing me to the Canadian Border. LOL and in the city also agressive.

So in all I have done 450 km (50/50 city and highway) Today I gassed 32. liters and topped.
So gas consumption is 14.06 km per liter. If I convert to US gallons.
km us gal 14.06 x 3.73 = 52.75 km per gal.
52.75 / 16 = 32.95 miles per gal 50/50

21 - 26 of 26 Posts