Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my MT fluid last night. Some observations:
1. The plug size is surprisingly gigantic (24mm). It was hard (but not impossible) to get a socket on the fill plug because of a heat shield. The drain plug was torqued VERY tight. This is the first servicing of the MT transmission on this car.
2. The drained fluid was black with silver swirls and had a strong smell of what could be best described as stuffing (like you would have at an American Thanksgiving). There was a lot of material on the magnetic plug (see below). I have seen elsewhere on here that this is somewhat normal but I found it disconcerting (especially the smell).
3. This service should be done with all four wheels off the ground.
4. A fluid pump is required. It took 2 quarts plus ~7oz.
5. I refilled with the legendary Ford XT-M5-QS full synthetic.
6. Crush washers are silver (I assume aluminum). I just flipped them over. I torqued both fill and drain plugs to 35ft/lbs.
7. Assuming you have jack stands or another way to lift the car, a 24mm socket, and a fluid pump, the whole process is simple and takes 15 minutes. I drove the car a bit before changing the fluid to warm it up and resuspend any particles.

Bottle Automotive tire Terrestrial animal Soil Arthropod

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Please update with your impressions of the oil, in particular shifting characteristics when cold and at operating temp. Thanks.

Reactions: Cannoli

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please update with your impressions of the oil, in particular shifting characteristics when cold and at operating temp. Thanks.
I had notchy shifting into first from neutral at a stop, and downshifting into third when I am on the track (with rev-match/heal-toe). I was hoping a fluid change may help. I have a track day next week and I'll report back. I've never really noticed a cold vs. warm difference with my tranny (including now with the new fluid).

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 6MT Modded To The Moon
388 Posts
Looks like a decent amount of metal on that magnet but to be fair, that was the first change yeah? So it was never changed from break in, there’s your break in 🤷🏻‍♂️
hopefully that fluid is happy in there, following for update…

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at some MX5 forums, it seems some people change/add oil in the shift turret as well? One dude cured his notchiness because the turret was bone dry. I guess I am taking out the center console tonight LOL.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is hard to see in the pictures, but there is a tube in there that accepts the shifter. I filled it up near the top with transmission fluid. Any overflow is just going to the ground below. I am seriously surprised at how much fluid I pumped in there before it filled up.

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
1,583 Posts
Looks like a decent amount of metal on that magnet but to be fair, that was the first change yeah? So it was never changed from break in, there’s your break in 🤷🏻‍♂️
hopefully that fluid is happy in there, following for update…
Hate to be the barer of bad news, but I replaced all fluids except brake and coolant at 1200 miles. Mileage is sufficient to facilitate break in, and the fluid came out completely clear. Luckily there are others whom had very dirty fluid come out of the trans and as far as I know their transmissions still work. Wishing you the best.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
It is hard to see in the pictures, but there is a tube in there that accepts the shifter. I filled it up near the top with transmission fluid. Any overflow is just going to the ground below. I am seriously surprised at how much fluid I pumped in there before it filled up.
Well I’m pretty sure your not supposed to put oil in there, but hell if it works for you great! When working on rotary’s I found oil in the turret of the transmission, my boss told me not to put oil in it. It also doesn’t connect to the main transmission box so it makes sense it’s dry. Maybe some silicone grease is a better idea and would last longer for sure!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hate to be the barer of bad news, but I replaced all fluids except brake and coolant at 1200 miles. Mileage is sufficient to facilitate break in, and the fluid came out completely clear. Luckily there are others whom had very dirty fluid come out of the trans and as far as I know their transmissions still work. Wishing you the best.
I'm not worried about transmission damage. Nothing grinding or anything (knock on wood). Car has under 30,000 miles

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I’m pretty sure your not supposed to put oil in there, but hell if it works for you great! When working on rotary’s I found oil in the turret of the transmission, my boss told me not to put oil in it. It also doesn’t connect to the main transmission box so it makes sense it’s dry. Maybe some silicone grease is a better idea and would last longer for sure!
It's definitely a thing.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hows yours shift?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thats how my other manuals are but the ones that are greased are all remote shifter so the box isn't with the trans at all. I figure thats why, and since these are direct mount then oil is cool. As long as it stays in there, lube is lube 😅🤞🏻

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Shifts great! Filled it with Redline mt90, it’s a bit heavy for the transmission so first couple shifts into first is notchy but all after are perfect. Honestly it’s like a block of driving before it’s pure bliss.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Shifts great! Filled it with Redline mt90, it’s a bit heavy for the transmission so first couple shifts into first is notchy but all after are perfect. Honestly it’s like a block of driving before it’s pure bliss.
Ill keep that in mind for when i do mine. Im not bothered by a little notch here and there when its cold, already used to it from my mustang. Luckily my abarth shifts really well already, we’ll see if that degrades at all…

1 - 20 of 77 Posts