Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
1,589 Posts
I’m not knocking the filling of the turret. Just think if it was supposed to have fluid in it, it would 1 have fluid in it from the factory and 2 a fill and drain plug. If it works out for you great but I’m sure it wasn’t designed to have oil in it. Just my 2c

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thats how my other manuals are but the ones that are greased are all remote shifter so the box isn't with the trans at all. I figure thats why, and since these are direct mount then oil is cool. As long as it stays in there, lube is lube 😅🤞🏻
If you look at my first picture there is clearly oil in there already (just low).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I’m not knocking the filling of the turret. Just think if it was supposed to have fluid in it, it would 1 have fluid in it from the factory and 2 a fill and drain plug. If it works out for you great but I’m sure it wasn’t designed to have oil in it. Just my 2c
There was oil in there already. NC Miata manual calls for 230cc of transmission oil in the turret. As far as I can tell nothing in the Fiata manual regarding fluid maintenance of the tranny.

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
1,589 Posts
Yeah I just checked the manual for the spider, and no mention of fluid in turret but there is a step by step on the box fluid change. Glad you found the info in the Mazda workshop manual. Will check mine if I feel the shifting change for the worst. Thanks again for taking the time to post your findings. Also sorry didn’t notice there was oil in the turret only noticed in the after photo. I just took bone dry as literal.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Thank you for sharing all of this. I have swapped out the MT fluid (Castrol Transmax), made a huge positive difference, but cold temp shifting (particularly 1-2) is still a touch notchy/ recalcitrant, I’ve just learnt to manage it for a few minutes. I am intrigued by the ‘oil in the turret’ fix, would you mind doing a step by step guide to doing this? I can wrench but I’m not a mechanic. I had a similar amount of debris on my drain plug as well as oil that did smell odd, can you believe that this is a ‘no-maintenance’ item by FIAT?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thank you for sharing all of this. I have swapped out the MT fluid (Castrol Transmax), made a huge positive difference, but cold temp shifting (particularly 1-2) is still a touch notchy/ recalcitrant, I’ve just learnt to manage it for a few minutes. I am intrigued by the ‘oil in the turret’ fix, would you mind doing a step by step guide to doing this? I can wrench but I’m not a mechanic. I had a similar amount of debris on my drain plug as well as oil that did smell odd, can you believe that this is a ‘no-maintenance’ item by FIAT?
The first ~4 minutes here will get you to the turret.
From ~10 minutes on a guy removing and adding more oil to the turret in an NC Miata.
I just added more oil; I didn't replace it.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Thanks to all, especially DBoe, for sharing their thoughts and experiences. Once again a light has been shone on a previously, for many, unknown.
I changed my MT fluid out one year ago at my 1st year service using Amsoil Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75w-90 which made a noticeable, for the better, difference in both cold and warmed-up shifting. I currently have no issues with regards to notchy shifts but if that problems ever does show up I now know of a possible reason. Again, Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is reminiscent of the MX5 NA, it too had the turret full of oil. Made a huge difference to the change and smoothness of the transmission.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Here is a thread I started several years ago about the shifter turret lube, then I updated the thread in 2020 about replacing the shifter's plastic bushing with a bronze bushing. Lots of info and discussion, with links and photos. In the end, I don't drive for performance but for cruising pleasure, so my exercise here was one of preventative maintenance. And honestly, I've not thought about it since. But I think it is something all Fiat manual owners should be aware of, and as these threads suggest, it's something the Miata world knows about but that Fiat may not have told us, officially or otherwise.
manual gear shift lever lube, and more

Steve.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Here is a thread I started several years ago about the shifter turret lube, then I updated the thread in 2020 about replacing the shifter's plastic bushing with a bronze bushing. Lots of info and discussion, with links and photos. In the end, I don't drive for performance but for cruising pleasure, so my exercise here was one of preventative maintenance. And honestly, I've not thought about it since. But I think it is something all Fiat manual owners should be aware of, and as these threads suggest, it's something the Miata world knows about but that Fiat may not have told us, officially or otherwise.
manual gear shift lever lube, and more

Steve.
Just read through your thread with related comments and information. Excellent!
As I mentioned, post #31, I'm currently not having any shifter issues, but this upgrade does indeed make sense as a preventative maintenance measure and makes far more sense dollar wise than many of the mods we as Spider owners spend our money on in an effort to or hoping to improve our vehicles.
Looks like a project for next spring if not yet this fall before winter storage.
Thanks for chiming in and linking your thread.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
You're welcome. It looks like that bronze bushing may be out of stock at the moment. may need to contact that supplier and see when more will be available. I'm guessing he makes them in small batches.

Steve.

·
Registered
845 Posts
You're welcome. It looks like that bronze bushing may be out of stock at the moment. may need to contact that supplier and see when more will be available. I'm guessing he makes them in small batches.

Steve.
I’ll second that, thank you for posting this. I think you can purchase the bronze bushing from a few places, I’ve ordered mine and will do this job next week. I have had a big improvement by changing the MT fluid already, I am hoping this will just add ‘the icing to the cake’.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I just checked with Fab9Tuning, they have the 24mm bushing in stock and I got mine ordered. Need to choose order option NC2 or NC3 when placing your order. Total cost with shipping, $31.49. Not sure what overseas shipping costs would be.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I just checked with Fab9Tuning, they have the 24mm bushing in stock and I got mine ordered. Need to choose order option NC2 or NC3 when placing your order. Total cost with shipping, $31.49. Not sure what overseas shipping costs would be.
Hi, is there a difference between the NC1 and the others, they are all 6 speed?

21 - 40 of 77 Posts