Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hi, is there a difference between the NC1 and the others, they are all 6 speed?
It may be the difference of one using the 22mm bushing and the others using the 24mm bushing. When I called I asked if they had the 24mm bushing. This kinda threw the guy, very nice guy to talk to, for a loop. He really didn't know. I believe they have always differentiated between the two by trans model application year. I explained I have a 2020 Abarth 124 Spider and all this was being discussed on the blog/forum and that the first referenced supplier was out of stock but that a member had posted he got his bushing from them, Fab9Tuning. I added that I knew I needed the bushing that is 24mm. He measured the two he stocks and said to designate either the NC2 or NC3 when ordering. So that's what I did. I also noted when ordering that the bushing is for an Abarth 124 Spider. I suppose just noting that it's for a 124 Spider would be enough. One might also want to add in confirmation of the 24mm sizing. :)
Already have gotten confirmation they have shipped and it's on the way to me.

Edit:
From the shipping confirmation I received. Note the reference to NC Miata 06-15. Since the 124 Spider uses the 6 speed trans from the earlier gen Miata this matches up with what one would expect.

Rectangle Font Parallel Brand Logo

·
Registered
827 Posts
It may be the difference of one using the 22mm bushing and the others using the 24mm bushing. When I called I asked if they had the 24mm bushing. This kinda threw the guy, very nice guy to talk to, for a loop. He really didn't know. I believe they have always differentiated between the two by trans model application year. I explained I have a 2020 Abarth 124 Spider and all this was being discussed on the blog/forum and that the first referenced supplier was out of stock but that a member had posted he got his bushing from them, Fab9Tuning. I added that I knew I needed the bushing that is 24mm. He measured the two he stocks and said to designate either the NC2 or NC3 when ordering. So that's what I did. I also noted when ordering that the bushing is for an Abarth 124 Spider. I suppose just noting that it's for a 124 Spider would be enough. One might also want to add in confirmation of the 24mm sizing. :)
Already have gotten confirmation they have shipped and it's on the way to me.

Edit:
From the shipping confirmation I received. Note the reference to NC Miata 06-15. Since the 124 Spider uses the 6 speed trans from the earlier gen Miata this matches up with what one would expect.

View attachment 95082
I think you are correct, the NC1 is 22mm, the later ones are 24mm…dilemma solved!

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
1,528 Posts
The nc1 is listed as a five speed not sure if that is what the difference is. The five speed bushing is available at a lot of places but seems the six speed is harder to find ATM.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Here is a thread I started several years ago about the shifter turret lube, then I updated the thread in 2020 about replacing the shifter's plastic bushing with a bronze bushing. Lots of info and discussion, with links and photos. In the end, I don't drive for performance but for cruising pleasure, so my exercise here was one of preventative maintenance. And honestly, I've not thought about it since. But I think it is something all Fiat manual owners should be aware of, and as these threads suggest, it's something the Miata world knows about but that Fiat may not have told us, officially or otherwise.
manual gear shift lever lube, and more

Steve.
Steve, when you remove the console and boot, there is a rubber gaiter, with a white plastic clip. How did you remove the clip?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Steve, when you remove the console and boot, there is a rubber gaiter, with a white plastic clip. How did you remove the clip?
Boy, sorry to say but I just don't recall. I don't even remember what the clip looked like.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
No worries, I watched a guy do this online and he managed to break the clip. It doesn’t say in the workshop manual. I’ll have a look when I do the work at the weekend.
If it's the one I think you're referring to, white circular clip going around the top of the boot, I recall watching a video where the guy doing the video says it OK to cut this clip and on reassembly you replace it with a zip tie.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey, just relaying what I'd seen.
Obviously pulling the shifter with boot in place makes more sense.
Have not tackled this project myself as of yet. My new bushing should be delivered, according to USPS tracking, tomorrow, then I'll have to decide do I want to do this yet this fall before winter layup or wait until spring revival.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Done the turret fluid change last Saturday. I removed the assembly with the boot attached.
[/
Hey, just relaying what I'd seen.
Obviously pulling the shifter with boot in place makes more sense.
Have not tackled this project myself as of yet. My new bushing should be delivered, according to USPS tracking, tomorrow, then I'll have to decide do I want to do this yet this fall before winter layup or wait until spring revival.
I took the shifter out today and changed the oil (easy). Once you take the trim off, then the four nuts holding the outer gait, the whole lot just lifts off. The clip just needs ‘fadangaling’ until it comes off, I’ll put a little silicone inside the rubber gait when reinstalling to help matters. Overall very straightforward. Mine seemed a little short on oil, I took about 90ml to empty it and then around 190ml to refill, the oil can be seen in the centre of the turret, but not over the lip, I used the same oil as in the transmission (Castrol Transmax). I’ll be fitting a bronze bush and fingers crossed, that will resolve my MT’s 1-2 recalcitrance.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I completed this work today, turret oil change and new bronze shifter bush. I can’t test the difference until the weekend. Taking the outer rubber gait off is made easier by squirting a little wd40 between the rubber and the shifter, I lightly greased the rubber to get it back on (the white clip stays in place around the rubber). My turret was pretty dry, which might explain why the shift is a bit difficult, I refilled to the correct amount after emptying it (200ml of Castrol Transmax). As my car has only 12k miles, it does make me wonder about the factory fill. Anyway, I’ll feedback on the road differences over the weekend.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I noticed a small difference with the turret oil filled to the top. The 1-2 shift is still a little bit hard. I fixed that in the past with a 1 inch shifter extender and a really heavy shift knob (500 grams)
I test drove the car today, it is improved but the cold 1-2 (and even 2-3) issue isn’t fully resolved. I think some cars are fine, some aren’t. Mine isn’t and so I don’t ‘rush’ the box when cold. The turret oil change and changing the transmission oil to Castrol Transmax has vastly improived the issue though and so I can live with it now. When fully warmed up, the box is a delight. I also fitted a brass shift bushing, to replace the plastic one. There is a benefit I would say, akin to a ‘bolt action rifle’ now, a bit more mechanical. People in the UK/ EU can get the bush here: https://bofiracing.co.uk/ (they are hard to track down) it is the Jass Performance Bronze Shifter Bush for Mazda MX-5 NC and is £19 + VAT and shipping.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts