Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I am thinking of the race tune and wonder how will the NC transmission holds up against the track abuse.

I have been on the NC forum seems like there are plenty of horrible stories about the NC transmission.

I think 210-220WHP will satisfy me on the 124. Although I doubt that I can achieve its 160hp potential.

·
Registered
479 Posts
the nc transmission seems to be a quite robust transmission. at 160hp you would be safe, after all that is a de-tuned us spec car. 210-220hp, may be coming closer to the limits, but I would not expect it to have a short term catastrophic failure. I am running 200hp supercharged in my nb miata, and the 5sp, which is alleged to be a weak transmission and it is holding up well. upping the power to the 220 range would probably translate into an upgraded clutch, but the gearbox should be sufficient in that power range. I would suggest frequent oil changes with the additional power and checking the magnetic drain plug for signs of deterioration....

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the nc transmission seems to be a quite robust transmission. at 160hp you would be safe, after all that is a de-tuned us spec car. 210-220hp, may be coming closer to the limits, but I would not expect it to have a short term catastrophic failure. I am running 200hp supercharged in my nb miata, and the 5sp, which is alleged to be a weak transmission and it is holding up well. upping the power to the 220 range would probably translate into an upgraded clutch, but the gearbox should be sufficient in that power range. I would suggest frequent oil changes with the additional power and checking the magnetic drain plug for signs of deterioration....
Thank you very much

I am not worried so much about the engine since a lot of 200WHP+ Abarth 500s holds up well, wonders more about transmissions

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi guys

I am thinking of the race tune and wonder how will the NC transmission holds up against the track abuse.

I have been on the NC forum seems like there are plenty of horrible stories about the NC transmission.

I think 210-220WHP will satisfy me on the 124. Although I doubt that I can achieve its 160hp potential.
I don't recall seeing nc tranny problems. Nd issues definitely but where did u see that the nc was failing?

Reactions: XtremeRevolution

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yup, Redtoys is correct.
The first batch of ND transmissions (2016 and early 2017) were the miata transmissions with the failures even at stock power levels.
The NC transmissions in the 2006-2015 miata were especially robust, particularily the 2009+ version. It was known to run 300 hp without problems.
Assuming that they didn't do anything to drastic before it was transplanted into the Fiat, I would assume you could run 250hp/250 ft.lbs all day long without it failing on you.

Reactions: XtremeRevolution

·
Super Moderator
1,281 Posts
Mx5 transmission

Yup, Redtoys is correct.
The first batch of ND transmissions (2016 and early 2017) were the miata transmissions with the failures even at stock power levels.
The NC transmissions in the 2006-2015 miata were especially robust, particularily the 2009+ version. It was known to run 300 hp without problems.
Assuming that they didn't do anything to drastic before it was transplanted into the Fiat, I would assume you could run 250hp/250 ft.lbs all day long without it failing on you.
The first 146,000 NDs have dicey transmissions. That's all the MT6 cars prior to mid September of 2017. This was a prime issue in my preference for the 124. Our MT6 is very similar, maybe even the same as the RX8 unit, which is known to be very durable.
Best regards
Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts