Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at the Fiat Freak Out this summer, I had the fortune to see and hear Csaba's Spider and that car was really impressive. I think I recall that Csaba mentioned running with the muffler deleted. Does anyone produce a bolt on muffler delete part? It looks like it would be a simple part to produce and swapping it out should be two bolts and two hangars.
BTW, this is the car that Csaba had at the FFO this summer. My '69 Spider is directly behind it in this photo.

·
Vendor
3,350 Posts
I like your 69' Spider. I am pretty sure Csaba's muffler delete was done by a local exhaust shop. That's a pretty easy and inexpensive way to do it, although going back to stock would involve getting a replacement stock part, or welding.

Greg

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Greg. I imagine someone will produce a bolt on part with a nice set of exhaust tips sooner or later. I like the idea of being able to quickly swap the stock back on if taking the wife on an extended road trip.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Thanks Greg. I imagine someone will produce a bolt on part with a nice set of exhaust tips sooner or later. I like the idea of being able to quickly swap the stock back on if taking the wife on an extended road trip.
Fiathead,

Good-Win Racing sells a muffler delete that includes adjustable exhaust tips for $499. It is a bolt on that can be reversed out to stock if so desired. Here is the link: http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-2015.html

Reactions: fiathead

·
Registered
96 Posts
While at the Fiat Freak Out this summer, I had the fortune to see and hear Csaba's Spider and that car was really impressive. I think I recall that Csaba mentioned running with the muffler deleted. Does anyone produce a bolt on muffler delete part? It looks like it would be a simple part to produce and swapping it out should be two bolts and two hangars.
BTW, this is the car that Csaba had at the FFO this summer. My '69 Spider is directly behind it in this photo.
FH, I had a '69 Spider back in the 70's, and it was the same color as yours! My GF at the time called the color "butterscotch.":D I loved that car! Nostalgia for my '69 was a major reason I got the new one!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FH, I had a '69 Spider back in the 70's, and it was the same color as yours! My GF at the time called the color "butterscotch.":D I loved that car! Nostalgia for my '69 was a major reason I got the new one!
I love my '69. It's been in the family for close to 20 years and hopefully, will be for another 20+ more.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just did this. A local muffler shop made a pipe. After the flange they put in a splitter Y and a pipe going out the existing holes. Added stainless tips. Total out the door was $250. I kept the original muffler in caseI wanted to swap back. After a day I tossed the muffler. Between the turbo, cat con and the resonator, there is no need for a muffler. A mellow low tone and not loud at all! Sounds like a stock 124 from the 1960s.

Don't waste your money on a name brand, pre-made pipe. Especially if it has any kind of muffling. You don't need it! Want to know what it will sound like? Unbolt the flange (2 bolts) and pull the muffler out of the way. Start it up! You will LOVE IT!!! I guarantee it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Check out "Auto Ricambis" muffler deletes ! Stainless steel, two versions and cost effective!

·
Registered
606 Posts
I had my muffler delete done the other day and am very pleased with the sound and the look, which consists of dual powder coated 3 1/2" tips. Not as loud as I would prefer but my wife likes it since we can carry on a conversation while cruising but even she would like a little more sound.

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hey Bob - looks nice, I'm glad you're happy with it.

Also, looks like you painted the 124 Spider emblem black as you wanted. I really want to do the same. Mind walking me through it? Specifically, how'd you get it off then back on?

Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hey Bob - looks nice, I'm glad you're happy with it.

Also, looks like you painted the 124 Spider emblem black as you wanted. I really want to do the same. Mind walking me through it? Specifically, how'd you get it off then back on?

Thanks, Mark
Yeah, the sound is close to what the 500 Abarth model sounds like in case someone wants a comparison, and if anyone is on the fence about doing it I don't think you will regret it; however, some have gone back to stock afterwards so again, sound is subjective.

In regards to the emblem, I used a hair dryer to warm it up and the wife used dental floss to remove it as I applied the heat. We then cleaned the sticky tape and residue off the car & emblem using Goo Gone and WD-40. I had a rattle can of Flat Black already and put a tack coat of it on followed by a light coat the next day and bought a rattle can of Gloss Black and put 3 coats of it on. I had a roll of thin 3M tape already and we cut small pieces of it and covered the back of the emblem the best we could with it and we could still faintly see where some of the emblem was originally was so we cleaned it with rubbing alcohol (same on the back of the emblem before you apply the 3M tape) and put it back on.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I forgot to say that I also tried a couple coats of clear coat but did not like the finish so I sanded them off and glossed over it. Another route is to buy a replacement emblem and paint it then apply it, which is easier than cutting the little pieces of 3M tape.

·
813 Posts
Auto Ricami Muffler delete

Check out "Auto Ricambis" muffler deletes ! Stainless steel, two versions and cost effective!

Thanks for the kind words. Auto Ricaambi has developed a non resonated and a resonated system that have both been very popular with customers.
Check it out...

Non-resonated on an Abarth 124

Here is the resonated system on the same car.

Do a search on YouTube for Auto Ricambi and you will see lots of people sharing good sounds from their Spiders.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I've had Auto Ricambi's system without resonators installed since May. The sound is really good and the Siamesed exhaust tips have gotten me a lot of favorable kudos. My son installed it in 15 minutes with no special tools. He did not have to lift car. The stainless steel fabrication should gives years of trouble free service. I was surprised that the vendor shipped it for free. Excellent packaging and no damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. Auto Ricaambi has developed a non resonated and a resonated system that have both been very popular with customers.
Check it out...
Hi Bret - any idea when the resonated version will be back in stock? I suspect the non-resonated may be too much for my better half...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Forgot to mention that mine cost $250, which would have been less had I not had them powder coat the tips, and the place I went to (Ricks Muffler, St. Augustine FL) only uses high grade stainless and warranties their work forever (they have been there 42 years so I should not have to worry about them being there). Any exhaust shop can do this simple modification and if you want a specific exhaust tip, like I did, this is the way to go, and needless to say it will sound exactly like any other pre-fab muffler delete.

·
813 Posts
Hi Bret - any idea when the resonated version will be back in stock? I suspect the non-resonated may be too much for my better half...
I do not have an exact date but you can enter your email on the website and we will notify you when they are in. To be honest, the non resonated system is not loud. It is slightly louder at acceleration speed and initial start-up but cruising and idle are quiet and non intrusive.
Thanks again!

Reactions: 68wooley
1 - 20 of 24 Posts