Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see several posts of thermostat problems. During the first year, my Engine Light has come on 3 times with the P012800 code. The thermostat has been replaced twice. The service department has had my car 41 days in the last few months. The Engine Light has come on the 4th time and I am scheduled to return the car for service.

Is this problem common or is this just an extreme case? I like the car, but am concerned about this problem.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I am not sure, but there are many things which may be called a thermostat on a car. there is the water thermostat which opens to allow water flow through the radiator. there is the thermostat which turns on the fan. there is a thermostat which trips the cold start indicator. it seems like the service department may be looking at the generic term of thermostat and not probing a little more deeply into what their code reader is calling a thermostat.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It is my understanding that the P0128 Trouble Code indicates that the coolant temperature has not achieved the required thermostat regulating temperature (engine operating temperature) within a specified amount of time after starting the engine. I think only the water thermostat can be pointed to.

124Owner: You know it's a given that the coolant within the engine is going to get HOT; it's the mixing with the rest of the coolant flowing through the cooling radiator that is taking too long. Could it be the water pump is at fault?

·
Registered
2017 Abarth Spider
44 Posts
I had this code once after almost a year of ownership. It was a cool morning and the car was idling longer than normal. The trigger tolerance in is narrow. 124Owner, since you have had this problem several times, I would like you to turn on your compressor just after start up (every time) to see if this solves the problem.
This may be a permanent band aid fix. Just me doing this doesn't prove much.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Control,
Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean "turn on your compressor." What is my compressor and how do I turn it on?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I think control means your AC. You can also activate your defroster, which also uses the AC compressor. The compressor is an additional load on your engine which should cause your engine to heat up quicker.

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
I have begun to suspect this P0128 code is baloney. Over a month ago my dealer ordered a thermostat. It might be six weeks now. Absurd!
Of course the CEL was cleared. In the meantime I began paying close attention to the warm-up time. With car showing from 50 to mid 60s it takes about three minutes for the light to go out. Doesn't sound like a problem does it? In the meantime, no more CEL. After all this time shouldn't it come back on if the conditions warranted it?
I have the latest flash. If the thermostat ever arrives I'm considering telling the dealer to use it on the next car in queue. Having the car down for a day and the inconvenience isn't worth it for a useless repair.
Best regards
Pete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts