Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed there are wear bars nearer the sidewalls that are saying the tires are due for replacement but the required wear bars in the center show plenty of life left on the tires. No, the tires aren't wearing improperly either. Anyone have an explanation for this?

My son brought this to my attention indirectly when he told me the dealer told him his Civic Type R needed new tires and he shows me the same wear bars closer to the sidewalls are worn flush but the center, DOT required wear bars show life left.

My Abarth was sitting in his driveway next to his Honda and I have the same thing. I don't recall what tire he has in his Type R.

Shortly I'll be rotating the Abarth tires and will take a much closer look at the overall tread depth remaining.

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
Wear on the sides but not the middle indicates underinflation of the tires. With my tires, which I keep at the 29psi per spec (except when I overinflate them for when I store the vehicle over the winter), I have about a 1/32" difference in tread depth between the sides and the center. My sides are 1/32" less tread remaining, with 4/32 on the sides and 5/32 on the center. With that little difference, I'm not reading anything into it. But if your difference in tread depth is significant, then yes, that would be long term underinflation.

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
When I read this I immediately was thinking "Tracking"....then as I read "both cars"....I thought, unless you both "bump" the curb (sidewalk or whatever you call it there) CDPond has already supplied the answer and 29 psi (2.2 bar) , when you do decide to change tyres...Michelin Pilot Sport 4 have consistently been outperforming all comers and there is a new kid on the block for the USA (had it here a while) which also performs as well Goodyear asymmetric 5 , Cheers
ron

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's definitely not under inflation. I'm more than anal about my tires. Even to the point I read the TPMS sensors and have a calibrated gauge. It's the design of the Potenza that has the outer bands showing before the inner. The car has been kept in alignment and not curb strikes or potholes.

I'm hoping someone else can look at their Potenzas and check to see if they show the same abnormality. All four tires show the outer wear bands closer to the tread than do the centers. Right now I can kick myself for not recording the usual tread depth at regular intervals like I usually do.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The only thing I could find is some manufacturers have two different bars denoting enough tread for summer vs winter or all season use.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's definitely not under inflation. I'm more than anal about my tires. Even to the point I read the TPMS sensors and have a calibrated gauge. It's the design of the Potenza that has the outer bands showing before the inner. The car has been kept in alignment and not curb strikes or potholes.

I'm hoping someone else can look at their Potenzas and check to see if they show the same abnormality. All four tires show the outer wear bands closer to the tread than do the centers. Right now I can kick myself for not recording the usual tread depth at regular intervals like I usually do.

Mine are worn the same. Almost to the wear bars on the outsides but lots more tread in the middle. I also adjust tire pressure regularly as the temperature changes from season to season and never run lower than 29psi.

·
Registered
2017 Red Spider Abarth
22 Posts
I also experienced this with the Potenzas. I replaced them based on the outside wear bars but they still showed plenty of tread in the center. Since I don't have a spare, I was a little paranoid about them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Same here on the Potenzas but as I have stock alignment and tend to drive in quite a spirited manner (plus the odd trackday) I figured this was only normal. We would ideally need a degree or so of negative camber but I don't think the stock suspension will adjust that far. Maybe someone more experienced with suspension settings could chime in? FYI I have the Bilsteins which come stock in Europe.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only thing I could find is some manufacturers have two different bars denoting enough tread for summer vs winter or all season use.
I couldn't find any mention of the subject on Google. But then Google isn't what it used to be and my Google Foo isn't either. I wish I had a new Potenza to measure to see if the tread near the edges does have less depth or are the tires wearing improperly when set to 29 psi.
Thanks to the others that have checked their tires.

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
I couldn't find any mention of the subject on Google. But then Google isn't what it used to be and my Google Foo isn't either. I wish I had a new Potenza to measure to see if the tread near the edges does have less depth or are the tires wearing improperly when set to 29 psi.
Thanks to the others that have checked their tires.
Hmmmmm..... very good point! I'd never even thought about taking a tread measurement when the tires were new, or that there might have been a differential depth in the product to begin with. That would be an interesting bit of info if someone can do a tread depth read on a new one in a tire shop.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you really need to know, try and find a tire shop with them in stock and bring a gauge.
With the current partial lockdown that isn't an option right now.

·
Registered
476 Posts
With the current partial lockdown that isn't an option right now.
I have the Yokahama Advansport tires and all I can see/feel are what appear to be bumps inside the three main grooves toward the center of the tire. I'm not sure how many 32nds they are, but I cant imagine using the tire until they are flush.

You can try and call the service department. They might have some answers.

I guess the question is how many miles do you have on the tires and how old are they. I tend to think of tires as cheap insurance and so am not shy about replacing them after 30 to 40k miles, or 4 years, regardless of the mileage warranty.

On a similar note, my brother who lives in Florida said that you need to pay extra attention to your tires if you park outside on the driveway always facing a certain direction. The suns UV will cook the sidewalls of one side of the car. A lot of retirees dont put on as many miles as most people and so will assume that "gee, they still look great with plenty of tread."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts