Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this is a good spot to post this question. Brand new to the forum - just got my "new" 2017 124 Spider Abarth and loooooove her!! I've only had it about 36 hours so still figuring out all the little things. I guess I was a little spoiled with the apps and options in my Jeep Cherokee so all of my music is on an SD card. Was wondering if there are options to be able to play it. (I already mistakenly thought there was a card slot for this but I realize now it only works for the nav card??) Obviously there are 2 USB slots. Before I go to the trouble of transferring everything to another device, does the system recognize any thumb drive in order to play music files? Also are there any apps that can be added that are useful? That's it for now! :)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Yes, it does. You can load up a usb drive with the music files and use that as an audio source. I don’t know if there’s a restriction on size or speed, but I have a 32gig drive that works withhold no issues.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Apps, I don't know. I don't use any extra apps with the car radio.

THIS tiny little gem, stop at the 32gig size, you'll still get over 3000 mp3 songs on it. It'll take you several months to go through each of those songs. And it's nearly invisible in the dashboard USB jack. Think thumbnail size.
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Low-Profile-Drive-SDCZ33-032G-B35/dp/B00812F7O8

I have the 3" base radio in my Classica, so I'm going to make an assumption about your more advanced Abarth 7" radio system that they recognize file folders the same way.

When you set up your USB thumb drive, the radio will recognize about as many file folders as you'd like to create, but any given file folder will be limited to 255 files (songs). If you only create one file folder on a 32gig USB thumb drive, you'll only be able to listen to the first 255 songs, even if you put 10 time as many on the drive.

About the simplest thing to do is copy and paste individual albums to the USB drive, doing so *may* by default create a unique file folder for that album, if not, just create a file folder for that album, then paste the album into the folder.

Or, create folders for your music genres of interest- folders for rock, country, gospel, r&b, classical... or by artist/band with all their songs in the folder, as long as you don't put more than 255 files (songs) in a file folder.

Me, I have folders titled "tracks 01", "tracks 02", "tracks 03"... "tracks 10", etc. Inside "tracks 01" are all the first songs from each album, and so forth for the rest of the folders. I have a built in shuffle in a way. All the songs play through from their respective folders assuring me that I'll always hear each song. Who knows if the radio shuffle mode will actually play each song at least once before hearing a rerun.

Enjoy your music in your new Abarth!

Steve.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I suggested stopping at a 32gig USB thumb drive because the radio will not recognize the format of the larger 64gig and up drives, not without converting the type of formatting it uses. I may have described this process somewhere in the electronic subforum. I actually do use the 64gig version of the little Sandisc chip, but I had to convert the formatting. If you need help with that, holler.

Steve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts