Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Ive always been a big MX-5 fan and Ive owned three of them in the past. I loved having a 2 seat convertible thats fun to drive. I don't need big luggage space.

I've never been a fan of the new shape MX-5 ND. I think it looks too over styled and theres too much going on. The RF looks better but the one I saw was way out of my price range.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I took my MX-5 to be repaired and a few hours later on the way to collect it, the bus passed a Fiat dealership with a few 124 Spiders parked outside. I've never seen one before for real. I knew the 124 Spider was the same as the new MX-5 but with a different exterior. It got me thinking.

Later I went to the Fiat garage to have a lookand test drove a 124. I was amazed how fast it was for a 1.4 It felt as fast as my 2.0 litre mx-5. The Abarth version must be insanely fast.
I liked what you got with the specification (Lusso Plus). And after some bartering the salesman got to a price where the 124 was only £10 more per month than what Im paying for an old MX-5 thats just to go out of warranty. It was a no brainer... Sold.

Im now the happy owner of a dark grey 124.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
560 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new 124.

·
Super Moderator
956 Posts
That's wonderful!
I was waiting on Mazda to reveal their solution to the defective MT6 when I ordered my Abarth. I'd driven theClub and liked it. Mazda took a very long time (until September 2016) to cut in a fix. In the meantime there were lots of good reviews of the 124, especially the Abarth. I put a deposit on one in May 2016 and was going to wait until January 2017 for a new car. I never drove the other 124 models. I tested the Abarth on a sunny November day and bought it on the spot.
I don't find it insanely fast. It has a character all it's own and has proven to be a very enjoyable car. I'm glad I waited for it.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
727 Posts
"I've never been a fan of the new shape MX-5 ND. I think it looks too over styled and theres too much going on."
The 124 turns heads. Not so sure about the ND. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 124 turns heads. Not so sure about the ND. Welcome to the forum.
I think it does in my part of the UK.... as I think I'm the only person to have bought one. And maybe people are thinking "what is that"?

I haven't seen another 124.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts