1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
I was seriously contemplating buying a Cayman when I bought my RF. 2.5 times the price to start with.....for the base model with not a single option. Then, I live in Melbourne Australia. This, from a driver's perspective, is h.ell on earth. Speed cameras are everywhere set to ticket you at 3kph (2mph) tolerances. Everyone drives staring at their speedometers instead of where they are going. A Cayman can exceed our speed limit in 2nd gear....and everyone will tell you that Caymans aren't even fun until you are doing 100kph....our speed limit. The RF made perfect sense.

·
Registered
560 Posts
While not exactly Fiat related, I know a few people like the RF. Bloomberg have a small article about the RF:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-06/if-you-can-t-afford-a-porsche-911-buy-the-mazda-mx-5-rf
The RF is a nice car but I could never go back to a car that takes 12 seconds to seal up the top. That's one reason why I dumped my Bimmer for the 124. 2 seconds and its done - good for those quick downpours in our part of the US. And, of course, I think the Fiat is a far more beautiful car than any version of the Mazda - one reason why I never bought one. I considered it many times, though.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
The RF is a nice car but I could never go back to a car that takes 12 seconds to seal up the top. That's one reason why I dumped my Bimmer for the 124. 2 seconds and its done - good for those quick downpours in our part of the US. And, of course, I think the Fiat is a far more beautiful car than any version of the Mazda - one reason why I never bought one. I considered it many times, though.
12 seconds? Pffft. Hardly ever drive it with the roof down anyway. :)

I do agree though, the convenience of the Abarth's roof means that it gets driven top down a lot.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
If you can't afford a Porsche, don't buy an RF, buy a used Porsche. Totally different cars.
Nah. Considered that and a) I simply cannot use a Porsche's performance here....it's impossible...licence would be gone in a week b) there would be a massive difference in running costs for a car I can't never really use. I would literally be buying it as a wanky status symbol.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I don't see how one could get in trouble more in a Porsche than a 124. I've owned a couple and the Boxster S, which is basically a hardtop Cayman, was quite docile. Either car can get you a ticket if you have a heavy right foot.

·
Registered
483 Posts
my Abarth is replacing a 05 Porsche Boxster S. other than a close match in color, the similarities end. The Porsche is a magnificent machine, the Abarth is really nice. the power, fit and finish are quite different. one is a true luxury sports car the other is an end user sporty car. the comparison is apples and oranges. I love both cars, but the comparison is just foolish and I wish people would just be realistic when writing articles on cars....

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
SNIP... And, of course, I think the Fiat is a far more beautiful car than any version of the Mazda - one reason why I never bought one. I considered it many times, though.
The same for me, ever since they came out I looked at them and thought about buying one, its styling just didn't connect with me, now enter the Fiat and wow!

·
Registered
353 Posts
my Abarth is replacing a 05 Porsche Boxster S. other than a close match in color, the similarities end. The Porsche is a magnificent machine, the Abarth is really nice. the power, fit and finish are quite different. one is a true luxury sports car the other is an end user sporty car. the comparison is apples and oranges. I love both cars, but the comparison is just foolish and I wish people would just be realistic when writing articles on cars....
Well stated! Having owned several German cars, there really isn't a comparison, that being said, I still went to the Abarth over the Boxster. I have three brothers who own/have owned Boxsters/Caymans, there is just something about the Fiat that sings to me, besides, I like looking and tinkering with the engine :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
I really want the Miata RF but it will need to be a high performance model for me to really make the move, sort of like what you can get from Porsche. It's what the market really needs, FR-S/BRZ left a void in the market and Mazda could do well at filling it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Well stated! Having owned several German cars, there really isn't a comparison, that being said, I still went to the Abarth over the Boxster. I have three brothers who own/have owned Boxsters/Caymans, there is just something about the Fiat that sings to me, besides, I like looking and tinkering with the engine :)
if you like looking at the engine, the Porsche boxy/cayman will not be the car for you. just to see the engine is a bit of an ordeal, which involves disassembly or putting the rear up on ramps (if you want to look at the bottom of the engine). if you like to tinker on those cars you are really limited without a bunch of work just to get to the engine compartment..... Porsche makes a driver's car, not so much a mechanic's car..... just my $ 0.02

·
Registered
91 Posts
MX-5 RF vs Mini-Marcos ?

The same for me, ever since they came out I looked at them and thought about buying one, its styling just didn't connect with me, now enter the Fiat and wow!
Having finally seen an RF in our neighbourhood, is it just me that thinks the back end looks somewhat like the dreadful old Mini Marcos from the 1960s? (see archive pics)

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Having finally seen an RF in our neighbourhood, is it just me that thinks the back end looks somewhat like the dreadful old Mini Marcos from the 1960s? (see archive pics)
A little. I like the hard top option, but find them incredibly ugly. Sorry Mazda. Abarth 124 Spider certainly picked up on that... Italian styling.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ugly ?

A little. I like the hard top option, but find them incredibly ugly. Sorry Mazda. Abarth 124 Spider certainly picked up on that... Italian styling.
If you want REALLY ugly, go for one of these, a Marcos Mantis. I almost bought one (in purple) in the 1990s, but the world was spared.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, I’m curious how you look back at your Boxster-124Abarth swap 2 years later? I did the same a Month ago, so far I’m very pleased with my Abarth

Best regards,

Gijserati

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Nah. Considered that and a) I simply cannot use a Porsche's performance here....it's impossible...licence would be gone in a week b) there would be a massive difference in running costs for a car I can't never really use. I would literally be buying it as a wanky status symbol.
Get a good radar detector, you’ll be fine. ;)

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
MX-5 RF vs Mini-Marcos ?

In person, in soul red the entire car looks great. That paint is way better than the Fiat one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts