Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I picked up my new Classica, finally! Oh, is she sweet. It was a very unseasonable 34 degrees with a few random snowflakes falling from time to time, but I didn't care. Top down and 25 miles later I made it home. Boy, does that heater put out the BTUs. I actually had to turn down the heat after a bit, my legs were getting too warm. T-shirt, sweater, spring jacket and a floppy-ear hat and I was as happy as a clam on the highway with the top down. Maybe I'll just take the darn top off the car. (Just kidding.)

Before pulling out of the dealer's lot, I installed the second cocobolo (Nicaraguan rosewood) gear shift knob I made several weeks ago, the first lives in That'sASeamus' Abarth. When I got home I installed the Stubby radio antenna. This weekend I'm installing the EC V1 air intake, GFB DV+ diverter valve, and EC catch can. I'm going to order the PTP turbo blanket, too. I should also look into cleaning products for the body and the rag top, I'll peruse the Car Care and Detailing sub-forum for insight.

People at work have been putting up with me as I've awaited its arrival, but there were lots of "oooos and ahhhhhs" at various times through the day. Several sincere compliments about the classic looks of the car, liking its overall architecture better than its Mazda cousin.

I did learn one thing, though. My job requires full-blown work boots, and operating this clutch with a big ol' pair of Red Wing 8" boots is less than ideal, too little flexibility in the tall boot. I'll have to switch to shoes for the times I commute with the Spider.

Here's to a fun-filled summer of driving!

Steve.

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Now the worriment begins. It's like having a newborn in the house again. Love the new knob BTW!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'm loving this car!

Worriment, no kidding. Almost 17 years pulling into the same parking lot at work. Yesterday, I rolled in and suddenly parking became a strategic decision.

Steve.

·
Registered
283 Posts
You should have seen me the day my Spider came home. I spent quite a few hours adding extra plywood to the trusses above the area where I park it, made safety wires to double...er....triple protect the 8' light fixture above it and moved things around in the attic so nothing could possibly fall on it. I had to strategically place the motorcycle, fourwheeler, mowers, tracktors and my HF trailer so the Spider got the choice parking spot. Get one of 500 Madness SpiderDomes to protect the top since birds are jealous of our personal success and turd-bomb that nice fabric top if given half a chance. Did you get the WeatherTechs ordered yet? I'm so goofy I have a rug on either side of the Spider so we can wipe our feet so we don't get the floormats dirty. Today I ordered some new 3M Imperial hand glaze and Liquid Glass just in case a fly lands on the paint.:eek: Oh, yeah. She's our baby.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You can get all your mods done throughout this less than desirable weather we are currently having, then really enjoy it next weekend (looks beautiful as for temperatures and sun). You are not going to believe how much enjoyment this car will bring you. Money actually can buy happiness. ;)

·
Administrator
1,925 Posts
Congrats on the car! Looks great.

You get used to driving it with boots. I also wear 8" red wings and while it isn't ideal, you figure out how to drive with them after a while, especially if they're broken in.

Trying to drive a manual with those boots before they're broken in though, now that's something else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts