Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Nice video, it inspires members to do work on their cars. Only problem is I watched this morning, and that scotch did not blend well with my coffee. LOL
I should of watched in the evening.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thanks for this. Love to see the DIY section growing and posting a video like this which we can all essentially do is super helpful. One less trip to overpaying for services we can accomplish at home :)

I gotta get me some of that elbow grease stuff though ;) ;)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Lots and lots of elbow grease... it works ;)

Sounds like the old Brasso. Our older UK an Aussie members may remember the old rhyme:

"Shine up your buttons with Brasso, is only three hay pence a tin...you can buy it or nick it from Woolworth's, but I doubt if they've got any in"!!!!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Thanks for putting this together. Scotch on a Sunday afternoon - I approve.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Nicely done. As they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words." A video with accurate narration is worth a million. There should be a way to have this video pop up any time a member types in the words "how to" and "oil change."

·
Registered
676 Posts
Well done! I will definitely be taking mine to the dealer for oil changes.
To each his own. But at least you now know the process, and all the wrinkles so you can ask the right questions if the need arises. As is the case with many retail/service providers, an educated consumer is often "their worst nightmare"!!!

My buddy took his Classica for it's first oil change, and the "tech" did not tighten the belly pan bolts, resulting in some bolts falling out, and the pan hanging down scraping along the highway wearing away one corner.

He returned to the dealer the next day, and was back on his way in 30 minutes with a new belly pan. They robbed it off an inventory car!! So now you have an (insider) look at how dealers operate in certain embarrassing/emergency situations for which no parts are in stock. When I worked as service manager for a (then) Datsun dealer we had at least a dozen "raped" inventory cars missing parts at any given point in time. They were often sold without the sales person, or the customer actually inspecting the specific car. Then the fun began all over again, and another car was "raped" to make the sold unit a viable complete car for delivery.

This continues to this day.....

·
Administrator
1,926 Posts
There are so many things that a tech can do wrong during a routine oil change that I simply don't trust anyone else to do the job. I've seen them over-torque the drain plug or filter cap and crack the cap or strip the threads, cross-thread the cap and have it leak, forget to replace the o-ring on the cap and have it leak, install a new o-ring on the cap on top of the existing one, remove the old o-ring and forget to put a new one on, forget to drain the oil and fill new oil in (happened to a buddy with a Cruze turbo diesel, caused him a slew of emissions related problems), and sometimes even make a mess all over the engine bay. Let's just say they don't send your car to their best paid master tech for the oil change.

I have another thread in this section on changing the oil with pictures and torque specs if anyone wants to check that out as well. Not to detract from this thread at all, I definitely appreciate a video.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are so many things that a tech can do wrong during a routine oil change that I simply don't trust anyone else to do the job. I've seen them over-torque the drain plug or filter cap and crack the cap or strip the threads, cross-thread the cap and have it leak, forget to replace the o-ring on the cap and have it leak, install a new o-ring on the cap on top of the existing one, remove the old o-ring and forget to put a new one on, forget to drain the oil and fill new oil in (happened to a buddy with a Cruze turbo diesel, caused him a slew of emissions related problems), and sometimes even make a mess all over the engine bay. Let's just say they don't send your car to their best paid master tech for the oil change.

I have another thread in this section on changing the oil with pictures and torque specs if anyone wants to check that out as well. Not to detract from this thread at all, I definitely appreciate a video.
#1 I used your thread as the basis for my video.
#2 Amen! no one is as obsessive about my car as I am, so I will put every effort into making sure its done right!
#3 I have been the recipient of lazy and/or uncaring work on the rare occasion I have allowed others to do my chores, and worse I paid for it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts