Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded the stereo in my base Lusso.

I installed Polk Audio DB6502 woofers bought from Crutchfield. They come with separate woofers and tweeters. I didn't use the supplied tweeters but instead installed Alpine SPR-10TW 1-inch silk ring dome component tweeters. They sell them at Crutchfield but I found them on sale for half price on Amazon. Crutchfield sent wire adapters and adapter plates for the woofers. The adapter plates worked well but they were not an exact match and needed a little drilling. The Alpine tweeters have a screw on backing to hold them in place which works really well. I used a dremel to remove the old tweeter attachment plastic and cut holes for the new tweeters.

After installation it really didn't sound very good so I had a local car audio shop install a JL Audio MX500/4 500 watt 4 channel small marine amplifier. Crutchfield sells them for $360, the shop sold it installed for the same price. They also installed the crossovers that came with the Polk Audio set.

Wow is all I can say. I'm blown away with how good this system sounds. It absolutely blows away the Bose system I had in my Cayman. It is loud and clear even with the top down. The amp has a hook up for a sub, but honestly its doesn't need it. The amp is absolutely necessary though.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sadly, the pictures of your installation process didn't load. ;-)

Glad you got it the way you want it. I've got the Bose system, and while there's room for improvement it's good enough that I don't feel like messing with it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I downloaded Pandora (free) on my phone, found some good jazz stations, and ran a cable to the audio input plug on the dash, ( because I gave up trying to pair the phone to the stupid car bluetooth), and it sounds AWESOME! I'm not sure why, but the frequency response is 10x better than through the radio system.
For those considering on spending big bucks on a new audio system, you may want to try this first. (Now if I can get this dang Google voice activation gizmo to stop cutting in on my phone! I think I'll just put some tape on the mic...........)

·
Registered
117 Posts
In about 10 days, I am upgrading the 6.5"s and having 5.25" coaxials put in my cubbyholes behind the seats. Going with Ground Zero speakers because we are always top down and these will be able to handle getting a bit wet if we get caught in a storm. Was considering Focals at first but seemed like too much money to put into music that would be competing with wind noise 95% of the time we were listening to it. .Also adding a small db drive 500W amp in the passenger's cubbyhole. No idea how it will sound but I'm tired of only hearing weak treble at speed, so this will be a good experiment. The shop is making custom cubbyhole inserts on which to mount the speakers so if we ever want to change back, we can keep and reuse the original cubbyhole covers.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
725 Posts
In about 10 days, I am upgrading the 6.5"s and having 5.25" coaxials put in my cubbyholes behind the seats. Going with Ground Zero speakers because we are always top down and these will be able to handle getting a bit wet if we get caught in a storm. Was considering Focals at first but seemed like too much money to put into music that would be competing with wind noise 95% of the time we were listening to it. .Also adding a small db drive 500W amp in the passenger's cubbyhole. No idea how it will sound but I'm tired of only hearing weak treble at speed, so this will be a good experiment. The shop is making custom cubbyhole inserts on which to mount the speakers so if we ever want to change back, we can keep and reuse the original cubbyhole covers.
You might consider going with mid woofers or mini-subs behind the seats. High frequency is very directional, not sure you will hear the highs from behind the seat. Upgrading the tweeters in the columns would most likely give you what you are looking for.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You might consider going with mid woofers or mini-subs behind the seats. High frequency is very directional, not sure you will hear the highs from behind the seat. Upgrading the tweeters in the columns would most likely give you what you are looking for.
I'm not worried about the tweeters; it is the midrange and mid bass I lose at speed. This is an experiment to see how the speakers in the cubbies work. If I need to add more in any area, I will. :)

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
725 Posts
I'm not worried about the tweeters; it is the midrange and mid bass I lose at speed. This is an experiment to see how the speakers in the cubbies work. If I need to add more in any area, I will. :)
I see, I misunderstood the 'weak treble'. Yep, sounds like a plan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put a sub behind the passenger seat. Is there a good place to find a ground around there? I was using a bolt up near the passenger foot well, but it doesn't seem to be a good connection.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I put a sub behind the passenger seat. Is there a good place to find a ground around there? I was using a bolt up near the passenger foot well, but it doesn't seem to be a good connection.
I grounded to the bolts behind the plastic roll bar plates. There's alot of metal back there

·
Registered
79 Posts
I upgraded the stereo in my base Lusso.

I installed Polk Audio DB6502 woofers bought from Crutchfield. They come with separate woofers and tweeters. I didn't use the supplied tweeters but instead installed Alpine SPR-10TW 1-inch silk ring dome component tweeters. They sell them at Crutchfield but I found them on sale for half price on Amazon. Crutchfield sent wire adapters and adapter plates for the woofers. The adapter plates worked well but they were not an exact match and needed a little drilling. The Alpine tweeters have a screw on backing to hold them in place which works really well. I used a dremel to remove the old tweeter attachment plastic and cut holes for the new tweeters.

After installation it really didn't sound very good so I had a local car audio shop install a JL Audio MX500/4 500 watt 4 channel small marine amplifier. Crutchfield sells them for $360, the shop sold it installed for the same price. They also installed the crossovers that came with the Polk Audio set.

Wow is all I can say. I'm blown away with how good this system sounds. It absolutely blows away the Bose system I had in my Cayman. It is loud and clear even with the top down. The amp has a hook up for a sub, but honestly its doesn't need it. The amp is absolutely necessary though.
I'm looking around and trying to see if I can do something similar in my Classica... Did you not install the Polk tweeters because they don't fit, or because they don't have the sound quality you were looking for?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I upgraded my existing Bose system with the speaker upgrade kit from Paco Motorsports. A little pricey but a nice kit that greatly improved the sound while retaining the stock Bose amplifier. The drivers are 2 ohm which is difficult to find and is necessary to maintain the volume levels using the stock Bose amp.

Reactions: DropTopTees

·
Registered
2017 Red Spider Abarth
35 Posts
Did you install the door insulation kit? I think that really helped with the mid-bass. I did some variation of his original writeup using 2 ohm CDT co-axials in the doors and Dayton tweeters in the columns. I didn't want to modify the car wiring, so I scavenged connectors from a pair of RX8 tweeters to use in the columns. Overall I think it was a pretty worthwhile upgrade.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts