Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put in a brand new, authentic, nav chip. Computer attempts to read it, then nothing. I get a message stating “Your Mazda is not equipped with navigation. See your dealer.” Brought it up to my dealer yesterday while I picked up some paperwork and hey we’re stumped. A verified working chip from another car produced the same results. Is this a flash/update issue? any tips or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
So I'll ask a couple of dumb questions... the SD card is unlocked, and it comes from a reliable source, correct? (by unlocked, I mean the sliding lock on the side of the chip is in the unlocked position). A working card from another vehicle, if driven more than 100km (62 miles) would be VIN locked to that vehicle and would not work in your car. If the other card was not VIN locked yet and wouldn't read, then your dealer's service department needs to escalate the issue on your behalf. It could be a defective head unit, or maybe a loose cabling connection. You could try a hard reset of the infotainment system, and though I suspect it may not have an impact on your speciifc scenario, it's a easy and fast thing to try. Your dealer should have access to the service manual, and there's a process they can use that will have the head unit run a self diagnostic and report on any discovered problems. If the dealer says they can't do it, contact Fiat Cares customer support and get them engaged to find a dealer that can look after it for you.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Is your car new or second hand? Has the infotainment system been updated to run Carplay / Android Auto? It sounds like it's running a Mazda firmware rather than a Fiat one. That'll be a problem because the Mazda firmware expects the car to report a Mazda VIN and the Fiat firmware expects to see a Fiat VIN. If there's a mismatch, the NAV won't work.

The fact it's saying your 'Mazda' does not have navigation is what leads me to say this.

Can you check what firmware version you are running. Go to HOME -> SETTINGS -> SYSTEM -> ABOUT -> VERSION INFORMATION to check.

Depending on what firmware you are running, we can possibly fix this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is your car new or second hand? Has the infotainment system been updated to run Carplay / Android Auto? It sounds like it's running a Mazda firmware rather than a Fiat one. That'll be a problem because the Mazda firmware expects the car to report a Mazda VIN and the Fiat firmware expects to see a Fiat VIN. If there's a mismatch, the NAV won't work.

The fact it's saying your 'Mazda' does not have navigation is what leads me to say this.

Can you check what firmware version you are running. Go to HOME -> SETTINGS -> SYSTEM -> ABOUT -> VERSION INFORMATION to check.

Depending on what firmware you are running, we can possibly fix this.
My car is new. I had similar thoughts as you, especially when I saw the Mazda message. I will take a look at the firmware version when I get home. How can I address this myself if it is, in fact, just a firmware issue? Is it possible?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
How can I address this myself if it is, in fact, just a firmware issue? Is it possible?
The answer is moderately complicated and depends on a couple of things - mainly the firmware version. It's possible you can fix this yourself, however if the firmware has been updated by someone other than you and the car is new, that kind of implies your dealer did it. It may be you tell them to get you a new CMU depending on what they did.

A bunch of us updated to a Mazda firmware version to get Carplay and Android Auto which Fiat never released, and there are ways to resolve the Nav incompatibility, however things need to be done in a fairly specific order and - on your car - probably involves creating a direct serial connection from a laptop to enable later tweaks.

However, before we jump to any conclusions, let's see what firmware you have and we'll take it from there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The answer is moderately complicated and depends on a couple of things - mainly the firmware version. It's possible you can fix this yourself, however if the firmware has been updated by someone other than you and the car is new, that kind of implies your dealer did it. It may be you tell them to get you a new CMU depending on what they did.

A bunch of us updated to a Mazda firmware version to get Carplay and Android Auto which Fiat never released, and there are ways to resolve the Nav incompatibility, however things need to be done in a fairly specific order and - on your car - probably involves creating a direct serial connection from a laptop to enable later tweaks.

However, before we jump to any conclusions, let's see what firmware you have and we'll take it from there.
Much appreciated. I'll keep you posted. Can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts