Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having an ongoing issue with the nav system in my Abarth. The system will typically lock up about 2 hrs into a drive. When not locked up, the triangle indicating the car's position will drift off the actual position by a mile or more. A third issue is the symbol will track down the road I'm on then briefly show it making a turn as I pass a cross street then jump back to the road I'm on.

Before taking it back to the dealer, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced something similar and what was the fix.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Haven’t had your issue, but welcome to the forum. Hopefully, someone else here will have seen something similar.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've been having an ongoing issue with the nav system in my Abarth. The system will typically lock up about 2 hrs into a drive. When not locked up, the triangle indicating the car's position will drift off the actual position by a mile or more. A third issue is the symbol will track down the road I'm on then briefly show it making a turn as I pass a cross street then jump back to the road I'm on.

Before taking it back to the dealer, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced something similar and what was the fix.

Thanks in advance.
Have never seen this and I use the Nav a LOT. Nearly 17K on mine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE: Dealership could not duplicate the problem (of course), Corporate never heard of this problem before (of course), and I was told a case file has been opened with Fiat Corporate on this issue. First thing Corporate asked when the tech called them was if I had anything plugged into the USB port. I said yes and if that's what's causing the problem then this car has more problems than just an errant GPS.

Dealership reset the radio. This did not fix the problem. I've since taken some video of the car wandering aimlessly on the screen while driving. I'll be making another appointment. Also, I drove the car with nothing plugged into the USB port when the GPS failed again.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Is this location linked? Does it happen around the same area every time or does it do it randomly? If you run a second GPS (on your phone) does this do something similar at the same time?
I'm thinking something could be messing with the GPS signal in your area and its not a fault with the car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this location linked? Does it happen around the same area every time or does it do it randomly? If you run a second GPS (on your phone) does this do something similar at the same time?
I'm thinking something could be messing with the GPS signal in your area and its not a fault with the car.

It happens every time I drive regardless of location. I ended up using my iphone's GPS when the car's GPS failed and had no issues with the iphone. It was interesting watching how far off the car's nav system was drifting while the accurate location was displayed on my phone. We were driving on the north side of a lake. The nav symbol made a left turn and drove across the lake to the opposite shoreline, followed a railroad track for a minute, then wandered off into blank areas never following roads again.

Spoke with the dealership today and offered to show them the video. They're not interested in it. They have a set list of troubleshooting steps they have to follow in order. The next step is to attach an antenna to the car and transmit the nav data directly to Fiat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: Had the car back in and the antenna they wanted to install wouldn't fit. They remembered me saying I had a video of the car position symbol wandering off and wanted to see it after all. They watched the video and finally agreed with me that something is effed up with my nav system. They took a screen shot showing my car in the middle of a lake and sent it off to Fiat. Fiat responded by telling them to replace the entire infotainment system. I'll give another update once the unit comes in and is installed.

·
Registered
483 Posts
UPDATE: Had the car back in and the antenna they wanted to install wouldn't fit. They remembered me saying I had a video of the car position symbol wandering off and wanted to see it after all. They watched the video and finally agreed with me that something is effed up with my nav system. They took a screen shot showing my car in the middle of a lake and sent it off to Fiat. Fiat responded by telling them to replace the entire infotainment system. I'll give another update once the unit comes in and is installed.
since the car was in the middle of the lake, did anyone inquire "so who's the U-boat commander"?

·
Registered
581 Posts
...They took a screen shot showing my car in the middle of a lake and sent it off to Fiat. Fiat responded by telling them to replace the entire infotainment system. I'll give another update once the unit comes in and is installed.
I think thats your problem... Driving in lakes will certainly screw up the electronics in the GPS! In the future, stay out of lakes (and rivers and oceans) and you should be fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi

Same problem with SatNav in my previous Mazda 3 Sport Nav.

Only solved when complete unit changed under warranty by Mazda.

124 Spider system identical to that car

Keith

P

·
0 Posts
I'm sorry I have to resume the same topic.
I'm just back from a three day tour (in Northern Italy) where I tested the Nav system of my Fiat 124 Spider in comparison with Google Maps on the phone. The latter has always worked perfectly, even where GPS signal may be expected to be very poor (eg in narrow valleys through the mountains). The 124 Navi got lost or stuck few times, or missed the track jumping on near roads. Nevertheless, to my surprise, it has worked much better than in the city, overall, and tracked correctly for very long tracts, especially in open spaces. I have thought that I could even not experience any issues at all if I lived in some areas I went through. The software is ok and the recalculating is very quick in those circumstances.
My assumption is that the problem lies in a relatively poor reception of the antenna, and that this can be further complicated by interferences when I drive in or near the city.
My question is whether anyone has similar complaints about the reliability of the Navi system in the Fiat 124 spider. Should I accept it as it is or does it look like there is a hardware issue on my car?
Thanks for help

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'm sorry I have to resume the same topic.
I'm just back from a three day tour (in Northern Italy) where I tested the Nav system of my Fiat 124 Spider in comparison with Google Maps on the phone. The latter has always worked perfectly, even where GPS signal may be expected to be very poor (eg in narrow valleys through the mountains). The 124 Navi got lost or stuck few times, or missed the track jumping on near roads. Nevertheless, to my surprise, it has worked much better than in the city, overall, and tracked correctly for very long tracts, especially in open spaces. I have thought that I could even not experience any issues at all if I lived in some areas I went through. The software is ok and the recalculating is very quick in those circumstances.
My assumption is that the problem lies in a relatively poor reception of the antenna, and that this can be further complicated by interferences when I drive in or near the city.
My question is whether anyone has similar complaints about the reliability of the Navi system in the Fiat 124 spider. Should I accept it as it is or does it look like there is a hardware issue on my car?
Thanks for help
I've driven mine back and forth across the width of North America, and with the exception of a single lock-up (which I think was because I was mucking around with too many systems at the same time... phone, nav, music); it's worked flawlessly. Yes, I will get some occasions where I'm shown as driving off the road, but that's tied to the accuracy of the most recent nav data that I have installed, as compared against local recent road construction projects.

As for the antenna being at fault, I'm tempted to rule that out. With satellite radio (Sirius/XM), you can be blocked and have signal drop when the angle of signal is obscured by a high building that you're next to. So for most cities, they have terrestrial repeaters to deal with that. Otherwise you'd never be able to listen to the radio in the downtown core areas due to the high-rise buildings surrounding you in those areas. Additionally, satellite radio only accesses three satellites, whereas GPS is constantly triangulating and switching between a mesh of something like 72 satellites (31 of which are active, and the remainder are back-up or dedicated to non-civilian use).

But here's where it gets more complicated. When you use nav on your smartphone, is it using GPS or another navigation satellite system in your region? For entertainment, this is the breakdown (and the quantities are for operational satellites only):
GPS (USA) - 31 satellites in orbit
GLONASS (Russia) - 24 satellites in orbit
Galileo (European Union) - 14 satellites in orbit
BeiDou (China) - 22 satellites in orbit
NAVIC (India) - 7 satellites in orbit

The only reason I note this is that perhaps in Italy, your smartphone is pulling its location data from the Galileo system.

Regardless, so long as your device can get signal from any three satellites it should be able to accurately identify your location. If the location itself is faulty, then I would lean towards blaming the system that's converting the location data to map geographical representation, in other words, the Infotainment system.

That's my theory anyway. I'm looking forward to see if the replacement of the Infotainment system for the OP in this thread resolves the problem. I suspect it will, but want to see a confirmation of that to know for sure.

P

·
0 Posts
CDPond, thank you for your reply and precious information.

Regarding satellites, of course I have been monitoring the GPS information page on the Navi system, the one showing a dozen columns and a sort of a satellite map. I have noticed a clear correspondence between the functionality (or not functionality) of the Navi and the number of active satellites. So in my daily route, the page intermittently goes from showing 4-5 red columns, with no active satellite and no other info (that corresponds to no signal, and Navi stuck or wandering), to a 3 green columns out of 4-5, signal detected though with precision LOW (that corresponds to Navi working quite fine). I have also noticed that in the latter situation even the map is different, with street names written in clearer squares with black background, instead of less defined white names (looks like it uses a pre-loaded map when signal is not available). Out of town, as I mentioned yesterday, I have had happy moments with up to 8 green columns and precision MEDIUM or even HIGH. Those were the times when the tracking went flawlessly and the driver was temporarily fully satisfied :)

Anyway, that doesn't add much to the discussion: the issue still remains why in the city the signal is so poor, or poorly managed by the system.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I have been driving a Land Rover Discovery before the Fiat (yes, big change..) and the Navi has never had problems in the same area..

·
Registered
42 Posts
But, less thankfully, when it happened I was in the middle of duck's arse nowhere, and could only get one bar of signal on my phone... if I happened to be holding it in a particular direction.
It's amazing our parents survived when going on road trips.

Couldn't resist.
;)

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
It's amazing our parents survived when going on road trips.

Couldn't resist.
;)

Agreed, with one driving and the other deciphering the North America Atlas

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Maybe you guys should see if your Navigation map is up to date.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts