Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
It is. No change after updating.
I think (based on one of your earlier replies), that the way the map is even being presented on your display indicates there is a problem with your system. A problem with the satellite receiver would not result in a system not displaying map data properly (text in white blocks). Even in a highly congested urban location, surrounded by hi-rise towers, you should be able to get enough signal to accurately triangulate your position adequately for navigation purposes. And when you are going through a long tunnel, most systems will attempt to roughly gauge your location based on your travel speed and direction (when actual satellite signal is completely blocked). What you are seeing is a multitude of issues that to me, seem very much related to your infotainment system itself being faulty. IMHO, I think a complete replacement is what should be done by your dealer to rectify this. You know, from using your previous vehicle, how a properly functioning navigation system should operate.

I hope you are able to obtain a replacement system through your dealer and can get back to pleasant and accurate navigation again.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Maybe you guys should see if your Navigation map is up to date.
Navigation data doesn't seem to get updates very frequently. Six month intervals at best, and more commonly, annually. Using Montreal as an example, I had the latest update installed when driving there this summer, but most of the major roadwork being performed along Autoroute 20 as it passes through east of Dorval was nightmarish as none of the temporary road closures and detours were available. Combine that with trying to get to your hotel during evening rush-hour, while weaving around huge gravel trucks in a wee Spider makes for a nerve-wracking experience.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Where we live in Cary, NC the latest maps in my CX-9 are so out of date that I often find the navigation showing me in the middle of a forest as so many new roads have been built. One of the good reasons for using Wave/Google Maps etc around here.

TheSalamander

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
It's amazing our parents survived when going on road trips.

Couldn't resist.
;)
Agreed, with one driving and the other deciphering the North America Atlas
I remember having a folded portfolio in the pocket of the driver's door of my SUV where I had a set of individual provincial maps for western Canada, and detailed maps of Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver. My wife's job was to be the navigator while I drove, but the problem was that sometimes I had a hard time shutting the nav system down, or cranking down it's volume. lol

P

·
0 Posts
One more question about your Nav system: do you usually wait till the system is completely turned on, after starting the engine, before getting the car moving? It takes about 30 seconds, and I have noticed that it can make a difference in activating satellites on the map. Once in motion, it becomes very hard for my system to retake signal up. If I'm leaving from inside a garage, where there is no signal, I can arrive home with navigation still stuck. If I stop outside for awhile, things get much, much better.

I know, I'm just trying hard to avoid thinking I must take back the car to the dealer and have them destroy the dash to replace the infotainment..

·
Registered
57 Posts
One more question about your Nav system: do you usually wait till the system is completely turned on, after starting the engine, before getting the car moving? It takes about 30 seconds, and I have noticed that it can make a difference in activating satellites on the map. Once in motion, it becomes very hard for my system to retake signal up. If I'm leaving from inside a garage, where there is no signal, I can arrive home with navigation still stuck. If I stop outside for awhile, things get much, much better.

I know, I'm just trying hard to avoid thinking I must take back the car to the dealer and have them destroy the dash to replace the infotainment..

Ciao Paolo,
I had none of the problems you talked about so far. From time to time (I mean seldom) I must restart the system (Nav+Mute) because the navigator doesn't hook up the signal. Apart from that, it works perfectly. I'm afraid you really need to contact the dealership.

Massimo

Ps. Dove porti l'auto? Da anni sono cliente di De Angeli, in via Muratori; prima con la Mito QV, adesso con la 124. Se vivi a Milano città, potresti farci una chiacchierata. Con me sono sempre stati efficienti e disponibili.

P

·
0 Posts
Ciao Paolo,
I had none of the problems you talked about so far. From time to time (I mean seldom) I must restart the system (Nav+Mute) because the navigator doesn't hook up the signal. Apart from that, it works perfectly. I'm afraid you really need to contact the dealership.
Agree. Though not sure it will be worth it, and I'm already thinking about Plan B. I just bought the retrofit hub kit for CarPlay. Not sure whether I will be brave/skilled to do it alone, but guess I'm going to spend some good time in the next Christmas holidays..

Ps. Dove porti l'auto? Da anni sono cliente di De Angeli, in via Muratori; prima con la Mito QV, adesso con la 124. Se vivi a Milano città, potresti farci una chiacchierata. Con me sono sempre stati efficienti e disponibili.
Grazie per la dritta. Quella era la mia zona (Porta Romana/B.d'Este) anche se da tempo sono ormai in periferia..

·
Registered
1 Posts
There was the same trouble on my 2017 Lusso, the NAV system didn`t catch enough satellitts to determine my position and the system then shows only "Navigation" on the top of the screen. My Fiat dealer began with changing the antenna (in the dash board), but that did not solve the problem.
They finally had to change the whole unit!! (on the warranty which here in Norway is 5 years).
After that the system seems to be working fine, and it is a quite "sharp", quick and intuitive system.
It must be showing at least 5 - 6 green coloums on the Info screen, preferably more.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts