Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Abarth two days ago. Today is a beautiful day and I plan on skipping work early to take my first real drive. Can anyone tell me how good the nav is at skipping highways? I'm planning a 3 hr cruise and would love to do all back roads. If the nav doesn't do the best job of skipping highways, I'll map out my route before I leave work.

·
Registered
476 Posts
haven't tried that setting yet, but let us know how it goes. definitely one to try.

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is where I think every navigation system in a car like this should have similar to the Garmin "curvy roads" feature!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just got my Abarth two days ago. Today is a beautiful day and I plan on skipping work early to take my first real drive. Can anyone tell me how good the nav is at skipping highways? I'm planning a 3 hr cruise and would love to do all back roads. If the nav doesn't do the best job of skipping highways, I'll map out my route before I leave work.
The setting works for avoiding divided highways. However, it will still find you a direct route on a non-main road, just as almost all mapping algorithms do.
The vast majority of people want to get there quickly and easily, so that's how the direction algorithms prioritize.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I decided on a trip to the Poconos which is a typical 1.5 hr drive. I turned off pretty much everything except for ferries since I knew that there weren't any of those for hundreds of miles anyway. My trip went from 1.5 to 3 hours and it was amazing. I went through little towns I never knew existed and hit some incredibly curvy roads which hugged the mountainside. The only downside was the nav doesn't take into account current road conditions. I hit a closed road at one point. A simple turn off the road and it instantly recalculated my scenic route. For anyone considering the nav system, it's well worth it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts