Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have a USA 2017 Lusso that I purchased way back in 2016.

It's my understanding that the Navigation updates (which you can only get from Europe, but get the NA maps, because seriously FCA WTF), expire this year (2019). [I.E. You get 3 years of updates]

After the 3 years expire does anyone know what the options are? Do you have to buy a new card, or is there a way to renew in the US? I wish you could just have CarPlay but LOL.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I wonder what the dealer would charge for a renewal or will they try to sell you a new SD card. I purchased a navigation SD card from Amazon for $89 and it works great. I'd imagine if I bought a new one the updates would be three years from the time I register it with the Map Toolbox software. I'd hope it isn't tied to the VIN.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
The Toolbox is tied to your VIN, so it will be a waste of money buying a new SD card. To update the maps via the Toolbox after expiration, will require more fees. Other alternatives may exist for obtaining map data to copy to your existing SD card though...

Sounds like a good idea for another article, once I try them out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Got a quick question, can I download the latest update (06/2019) into my computer and then transfer it to an SD card, so I can keep the original that came with the car as a backup? I have a 2019 124 Abarth without the BOSS system, just in case it makes a difference. BTW, what size and quality SD card is the one recommended?

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
330 Posts
Just a smidgen off topic but since I'm within my 3 years update period shouldn't my dealership update my navigation card at no charge or am I on my own in that regard? I'm not asking about competency just whether they should. TIA for any input.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ok, I have been trying to update my Navigation SD card since yesterday and so far all I get is this message saying, "There have been an issue connecting to the Naviextras update server. Please try again". I have follow the instructions in the navigation link that I got from Ameridan step by step, and checked twice. So could it be that this Map Update Toolbox is no longer working, or is just simply that their website is down for some reason? Thanks

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
My Spider has nav but I have never bothered to insert the card. Is there such a thing as waiting too long and having it time out?

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
My Spider has nav but I have never bothered to insert the card. Is there such a thing as waiting too long and having it time out?
You have to insert the card and drive it for, if I remember correctly, 60 miles (100km) to VIN lock the card to the vehicle. Until you do that, I don't believe the clock starts ticking. Otherwise, cars on the dealer lots could be sold with half their free update term already expired before they find an owner.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
60 miles? I don't think I've driven that much in a week since March.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
60 miles? I don't think I've driven that much in a week since March.
Well there you go.... a good excuse to get out and go for a drive. And if you're not yanking my chain, the 60 miles is cumulative... not all in one go. If you already knew this, apologies in advance. Hope your weather is better than what I'm seeing right now!

Tomorrow morning will be the test for me. I'm going to try to hit the site in the wee hours of the morning and see if it makes any difference. I know other times when I've gone about getting an update that it's been a coin toss as to performance. It's never been blistering quick, but it has varied from annyoyingly slow to near dead. By that I mean I've gotten some updates downloaded in under ten minutes, and others took bloody near an hour.

·
Registered
110 Posts
No one has been able to update to the 10/20 maps. We are all getting the same message. In Europe they are having better luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
No one has been able to update to the 10/20 maps. We are all getting the same message. In Europe they are having better luck.
Ok, could be get the update for North America through their site? And if we can, do anyone have a link to the website?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts