Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this article on NBC this morning. It gives you the tip you would expect, drive slower, don't warm up your engine, etc. But one section is particularly stupid, a section called "don't waste your money on premium gas". Courtesy of Consumer Reports. (of course!)

The article is here - https://www.nbcnews.com/better/business/how-save-money-gas-squeeze-more-miles-out-every-gallon-ncna877141

This is the bit that I thought was pretty dumb:

Don’t waste money on premium gas, if your car doesn’t need it: Most cars are designed to run on regular gas. Premium fuel is for sports cars and luxury vehicles with high-performance engines. Not sure what your car needs? Check the owner’s manual or the sticker on the fuel-filler door. If it says premium “recommended,” you can use regular. If it says premium “required,” use a higher-octane fuel. (Consumer Reports tested fuel economy and acceleration on different grades of gasoline)If you use regular and hear the engine ping or knock and it bothers you, switch to premium for a few fill-ups. “The pinging is not going to damage the engine,” Linkov said. “It’s just the way the fuel is burning in the engine.”

Apparently, pre detonation won't hurt an engine at all! Consumer Reports is run by idiots, and you have to wonder about NBC for quoting them...

·
Registered
283 Posts
“The pinging is not going to damage the engine,” Linkov said. “It’s just the way the fuel is burning in the engine.”

No thanks. I’ll protect my investment in fun and just pay a few extra bucks when I fill up.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
The 124 is a turbo. It needs premium gas. If you can’t afford to put fuel in it then don’t buy it.

USD$3.00 per US Gallon for 93MON (98RON) here in Aus at the moment.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It needs premium gas.
Nope. Recommended, or preferred, but doesn't need. From the manual:

...a recommended rating of 91 octane. A rating less than 87 octane is not acceptable.

And from 2017 Fiat 124 Spider ENGINEERING:

Compression ratio of the Fiat 124 Spider’s 1.4-liter MultiAir Turbo engine is 9.8:1. For optimum fuel economy and performance, fuel with a 91 or higher octane rating is preferred, while regular 87 octane is acceptable.

Even the "optimum fuel economy and performance" part is questionable: https://www.124spider.org/forum/369-oils-fluids-fuel-additives-lubrications/16802-fuel-octane-rating-5.html#post306642

·
Registered
218 Posts
Alcohol-free 89 octane vs 93 gasahol?

Nope. Recommended, or preferred, but doesn't need. From the manual:

...a recommended rating of 91 octane. A rating less than 87 octane is not acceptable.

And from 2017 Fiat 124 Spider ENGINEERING:

Compression ratio of the Fiat 124 Spider’s 1.4-liter MultiAir Turbo engine is 9.8:1. For optimum fuel economy and performance, fuel with a 91 or higher octane rating is preferred, while regular 87 octane is acceptable.

Even the "optimum fuel economy and performance" part is questionable: https://www.124spider.org/forum/369-oils-fluids-fuel-additives-lubrications/16802-fuel-octane-rating-5.html#post306642
There are gas stations down here in Flori-duh that have alcohol-free gas, but it's more expensive than 93 octane gasahol (I haven't seen any 91). I'm wondering if the alcohol-free 89 is better for the motor and might give better MPG than the 93 gasahol....thoughts?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I 100% understand what they mean. Don't put 93 in your Prius thinking it's better.

But any car that recommends premium fuel, or is turbo, I run premium in it. Even if it has knock control and is capable of running 87, it has to knock for it to retard the timing to run on 87. So you're getting knock, which is bad for your engine so the car can cut timing and be safe.

Sorry, but I'll avoid harming my engine to save a few bucks. Plus, why buy a sports car and not get full power out of it?

For people filling up their NA Econo cars with 93 claiming it is cleaner, that's just a waste of money, though.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I have driven the spider with 89 octane and had no problem, Since I installed the EDL, then I was told to go with 91 octane which made sense. Anyone with Phase 1 or 2 91 + octaneis a must. The rest well each one to his own.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts