Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my 30k 17' 6spd. When I first got it, it wasn't the easiest to get into gear unless slow shifting. I'm no stranger to DIY so I flushed the trans and turret and refilled with new oil. It is way better now, but still not completely to my liking. I still feel like I gotta double clutch and granny shift sometimes!

Next step is maybe replacing the plastic bushings in the shifter.

Does anyone know if I can just get the NC miata 6spd ones? It is the same transmission after all, but just wondering if anyone has done this yet.
Since no online store lists these for the fiat yet.

There's also the short shifter assemblies I'm eyeing up, any thoughts?

Edit: I am spoiled by my 99 5spd miatas buttery smooth shift action...

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Did you test the ND manual tranny?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have wondered this as well, I believe that the NC transmission also came in the RX-8, so there are two versions of the short shifter. I’m hopeful one of them would work.

·
Super Moderator
912 Posts
You might give Goodwin Racing a call. They've gone through their car from nose to tail and if there's a related mod they either sell it of know where you can get it.
Best Regards
Pete

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might give Goodwin Racing a call. They've gone through their car from nose to tail and if there's a related mod they either sell it of know where you can get it.
Best Regards
Pete
Probably the best course of action!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I had a Mazda RX-8, with Short Shifter kit... Made a great shifter even better, I'd love to see a similar option on our FIAT. When I drove the Miata, I liked the shifter better, but a change to AMOIL Gear oil, improves the FIAT Shifter Considerably, in particular in the summer months.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Talked to MiataRoadster about his NC shifter kit that's finally getting released and the possible compatibility with our 124s - won't be able to test fit until they get to him though, sometime next month. Had his shifter kit on my 2005 Miata 6sp and it was fantastic. Will keep you guys posted!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Little update, I dissected our shifter and sent pics over to him. Got the green light for a test kit, gotta wait for the production to finish and he's going to get one over to me to confirm fitment. Very excited!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice! Looking forward to that.

I've put maybe 1k on mine since the oil change and it feels better, however, I'm probably just getting used to it. Added a lighter shift knob as well.
Still wanting a smoother shift throw though...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd be surprised if they did. The NC and 124 transmissions are similar, but the shift housings are different -- the 124's housing is longer as a result of fitment issues between the Fiat engine and the Miata ND's platform and drive train to the rear of the transmission. In addition, I've heard that the 124 shift assembly was redesigned in the process, partly because of early wear issues with the NC shift assembly.

If I'm wrong, however, let us know -- I'd be interested in such a kit, as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts