Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I have a 2017 Fiat Spider Abarth and my Evaporator Core is leaking. I had it checked at Firestone. The fiat dealership said that they are on "galactic" backorder.

I have no idea where to get them after searching on the internet. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Have you tried Mazda part NA1P-61-J10, cost about $250-300? Half the price of Mopar 68336539aa !

·
Registered
459 Posts
The one buried in the dash, right?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you tried Mazda part NA1P-61-J10, cost about $250-300? Half the price of Mopar 68336539aa !
I will look into this. I didnt know it was compatible with my car, and hopefully a mechanic will be willing to install it.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
OK. A hissing noise suggests possible small leak area ( a larger hole won't sound as hissy). You could try aircon "Stop leak" repair, only costs £20 or so DIY..... nothing to lose by trying if the evaporation core is dud anyway ? Also, early versions of the Miata/MX5 ND did have TSB issued due to poor aircon O-ring fitment on the high pressure side. Should have been resolved by MY 2017, but worth considering.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK. A hissing noise suggests possible small leak area ( a larger hole won't sound as hissy). You could try aircon "Stop leak" repair, only costs £20 or so DIY..... nothing to lose by trying if the evaporation core is dud anyway ? Also, early versions of the Miata/MX5 ND did have TSB issued due to poor aircon O-ring fitment on the high pressure side. Should have been resolved by MY 2017, but worth considering.
I appreciate the advice. I'll have to weigh my options. Thank you.

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
997 Posts
Don’t use stop leak! Fix it properly or don’t fix it at all. Stop leak gets into all the components good and bad. It’s not something you want in the system.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yes, thats the one.
Well that double sucks. I did a heater core in a 85 Mercury Mini Marquis and it wasn't a pleasant experience. I'm wondering if the core couldn't be repaired.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Don’t use stop leak! Fix it properly or don’t fix it at all. Stop leak gets into all the components good and bad. It’s not something you want in the system.
I bow to your superior knowledge !!!..... never actually used it myself but "assumed" it does what it says on the tin. Another option would be a replacement core from a breakers yard ? I believe the same part number is used across the Mazda range of the same year, so CX3 etc may be worth checking out. It's also possible the leak may be at the hose/evap union ?.... but may as well replace the evap once dashboard has been dismantled. Mazda dealer may be a better option than Fiat dealer for this type of repair.

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
694 Posts
And I very much agree with @mtnghost !! It might - that's right, might stop the leak. And stop leak will probably clog up the TXV and the condenser too, and leave a bunch of mung in the receiver/drier. DONT do it! Best, s.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts