Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I looked for the thread about help spending other people's money, but could find it, so here we are...

EC V4 Intake - Done
EC FMIC - Done
Forge Recirc BOV - Done
Vaitrix Boost Gauge - Done

What comes next?

·
Registered
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,276 Posts
Complete exhaust and tune.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
GWR System One with crosspipe and tune.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Send me a cheque, forget it e-transfer will do it. LOL

I suggest you focus what you want to put on your car. Go slowly cause sometime members do sell items.
You can add these 2 essential items. oil catch can and turbo blanket,

·
Registered
967 Posts
So I looked for the thread about help spending other people's money, but could find it, so here we are...

EC V4 Intake - Done
EC FMIC - Done
Forge Recirc BOV - Done
Vaitrix Boost Gauge - Done

What comes next?
Did someone say they need help spending their money? :cool:

Definitely get a tune.
That will be your biggest bang for your buck.
After that it depends on where you want your build to go.
Wheels and Tires go along way with this platform too.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
weeeeeeee YES we can do this guys and girls...let spend @Texas124 Pesos !!!!!

aloha mike

oh..add red bits...tune...exhaust...wheels and tires (Hmmm exactly what @Phillip33 said)

·
Registered
3,238 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
The FMIC you installed will definitely cause a huge lag in building boost pressure. The EC Phase 2 tune will fix that though. I know, because I've been in the same boat for a few weeks waiting for my intake.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The FMIC you installed will definitely cause a huge lag in building boost pressure. The EC Phase 2 tune will fix that though. I know, because I've been in the same boat for a few weeks waiting for my intake.
help me understand...please. How does a BIGGER intercooler cause turbo lag?
aloha mike

·
Registered
153 Posts
All of the piping is bigger. Thus there is a pressure drop. The OEM connections taper down pretty significantly in some spots. A good analogy would be the opposite of a venturi of a motorcycle carburetor. Any time you change air/fuel OEM components for aftermarket, you change the perimeters from which the ECU reads. Thus the need to compensate with a proper tune for the ECU which takes into account these changes. Mine has been so laggy since installing the FMIC, it takes forever to build boost, and does so later in the rev range now. But mine will be fixed once I install the V2 intake, yellow spring, and reflash with the Phase 2 tune. But talk with Eurocompulsion first to see what works with your build and what your goals are. If you need some ideas, here is the link to my Maryland Phase 2 build thread: https://www.124spider.org/threads/maryland-phase-2-build.34207/#post-506030.

·
Registered
967 Posts
All of the piping is bigger. Thus there is a pressure drop. The OEM connections taper down pretty significantly in some spots. A good analogy would be the opposite of a venturi of a motorcycle carburetor. Any time you change air/fuel OEM components for aftermarket, you change the perimeters from which the ECU reads. Thus the need to compensate with a proper tune for the ECU which takes into account these changes. Mine has been so laggy since installing the FMIC, it takes forever to build boost, and does so later in the rev range now. But mine will be fixed once I install the V2 intake, yellow spring, and reflash with the Phase 2 tune. But talk with Eurocompulsion first to see what works with your build and what your goals are. If you need some ideas, here is the link to my Maryland Phase 2 build thread: https://www.124spider.org/threads/maryland-phase-2-build.34207/#post-506030.
Have you checked to make sure you dont have a boost leak?

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I wouldn't say it's a huge lag, but in theory you are right. I ran an FMIC for a while without a tune and didn't notice any substantial lag. The boost builds very quickly in this car if you are in the right gear to begin with so any lag would be measured in tenths of seconds. In my opinion there is no point in adding a bigger FMIC if you aren't planning on tuning the car. My dyno chart shows improvement in the low RPMs from stock to modified but there are several reasons for that.

I also added the GWR sportcat and GWR exhaust without a tune installed and that's when I noticed that car ran terrible for a while. I don't think it liked the sport cat at all. It seemed very lethargic. It took a long time to adapt on the stock tune and with a performance tune it runs like a champ. I was in between the EC and Tork tunes during this time of mods.

I have the Forge WGA, but I'm running the green spring set at 11 PSI. I've tried the yellow spring but couldn't set it to crack lower than 13 PSI. With the yellow spring, I noticed 5 PSI of boost would dump off the top end immediately under load. When I put the green spring in and set to the 11 PSI, which is max for the green spring, it ran perfectly. Others have had luck with the purple spring set at 12 PSI. The stock tune does not like the Forge WGA. At least not in my car. It dumps off 5 PSI up top as well.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
thanks guys...

aloha mike

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
@walan I've been running the EC PH2 for over a year now...similar build to yours. a few differences. I understand your explanation but don't think that the addition of the FMIC, without a tune would result in such a drastic lag. That being said I'm no turbo guru. hence my initial question.

aloha and mahalo mike

·
Registered
153 Posts
Have you checked to make sure you dont have a boost leak?
I have not, but Rosso, the EC perferred installer in MD put it in for me. The owner did test drive it before I picked it up.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts