Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
@walan I've been running the EC PH2 for over a year now...similar build to yours. a few differences. I understand your explanation but don't think that the addition of the FMIC, without a tune would result in such a drastic lag. That being said I'm no turbo guru. hence my initial question.

aloha and mahalo mike
It seemed like an expected outcome given what Scott at Rosso told me. Bigger piping changing the way it builds boost. I'm still on the stock tune though. Hopefully all will be well once I get the intake and tune installed. Not looking forward to messing with the wastegate, but we shall see...

·
Registered
3,240 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
That’s not what I meant, and you can run the SportCat with an EC tune, too.
then elaborate.

with EC it won’t run as well, again according to brian. He said “it’s just not Quite there yet”.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
then elaborate.

with EC it won’t run as well, again according to brian. He said “it’s just not Quite there yet”.
As far as I know I’m the only one on this forum who has ran both EC and Tork tunes with a GWR Sportcat. Both tunes do fine. But EC did not complain about the sportcat whereas John told me to take it off several times. He did not like trying to tune for it. It’s still on my car. As far as I can tell the Sportcat does not change the inherent differences in each tune for better or worse.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Long over due to set the troll to ignore.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Okay, so some good suggestions...I think I'll be working towards the EC tune Phase II and keep building around that. One item I've seen talked about, but do not understand the purpose is the Forge Wastegate Actuator. Anybody share an explanation and purpose for how this impacts the boost build-up and why it's important.

·
Registered
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,276 Posts
The stock waste gate actuator is set to crack open between 4-6PSI and is fine for a lower boost peak. As you go up in peak boost, you have the raise the "baseline" boost level set by the crack pressure, typically set from 30-60% of peak depending on situation. To get to the 10-12PSI needed for the Phase2 and up, you have to change out the Actuator and have a spring set up for the new crack pressure. Then there is reliability of materials used. The stock WGA is a very cheap bladder type and both Forge and TurboSmart make much better housings and internals that can support a wide range of crack pressures depending on need.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
crack pressures KILL say no to crack!

aloha mike

21 - 37 of 37 Posts