Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Fiat 124 Spider Classica 6-speed manual
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just here to say hello. Just picked up a new Rosso Classica with technology package and the 6-speed manual - and that's it (other than the cheap Nav chip I added already). Great car - pure, basic, top-down roadster fun. Was on the fence about either base Classica or going to the Abarth, but the timeless looks of the Classica got me. Most importantly, I like the fact it's not trying to be something it's not. So far, really loving the car. Would like a bit more exhaust note, but other than that, love the no-frills nature of this little car. For the price, it was a no brainer - fairly unique on the road, a little Italian flavor, and solid Japanese build quality. What's not to like.

Kudos on a great forum - have enjoyed bringing myself up-to-speed before picking up the new ride last weekend. Stay safe and healthy!

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Just here to say hello. Just picked up a new Rosso Classica with technology package and the 6-speed manual - and that's it (other than the cheap Nav chip I added already). Great car - pure, basic, top-down roadster fun. Was on the fence about either base Classica or going to the Abarth, but the timeless looks of the Classica got me. Most importantly, I like the fact it's not trying to be something it's not. So far, really loving the car. Would like a bit more exhaust note, but other than that, love the no-frills nature of this little car. For the price, it was a no brainer - fairly unique on the road, a little Italian flavor, and solid Japanese build quality. What's not to like.

Kudos on a great forum - have enjoyed bringing myself up-to-speed before picking up the new ride last weekend. Stay safe and healthy!
Hi & Welcome to the Crew....With all the misery and suffering around us "at present", like most folk I was looking for something today to focus on...And You are it, So Thank You ! The reason? easy, your thread resonated with me as I too am Red Classica man, who had the dreams, the decision making before deciding that basic is best For Me". I too read the thoughts and actions of my betters within these threads and the facts on 21st Century 124 Spider site. Noted the peashooter exhaust in this Classic Italian with Japanese underpinning and electronic superiority and set about on my "Brexit Mods" journey. I hope you have as much fun as i did along the way, but yes, you are correct.....more importantly, Stay Safe, Cheers
ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi & Welcome to the Crew....With all the misery and suffering around us "at present", like most folk I was looking for something today to focus on...And You are it, So Thank You ! The reason? easy, your thread resonated with me as I too am Red Classica man, who had the dreams, the decision making before deciding that basic is best For Me". I too read the thoughts and actions of my betters within these threads and the facts on 21st Century 124 Spider site. Noted the peashooter exhaust in this Classic Italian with Japanese underpinning and electronic superiority and set about on my "Brexit Mods" journey. I hope you have as much fun as i did along the way, but yes, you are correct.....more importantly, Stay Safe, Cheers
ron
Thanks, Brexit! It looks like you've had great enjoyment improving your Classica along the way. I've been reading much about the AutoRicambi vs. Good-Win, and am on the fence between the two. Glad to know it's a fairly easy change (axle-back) and since I'm keeping the center resonators axle-forward, I'm not sure whether to do the resonated rear section too, or go complete resonator-less axle-back (on the Ricambi only, as the Good-Win offers flexibility there).

The DV+ is about the only other change I'm going to make. It sounds like the stock diverter is weak, but should be ok for the initial days of ownership. The DV+ sounds like it's more durable and provides more consistent operation. Since the turbo is the heart of this car, that seems like a good, basic improvement.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

·
Registered
2017 arbath ,Dv+ , ptp lava turbo blank, ECv4 intake, madness power pedal plus, CS vent mount phone
10 Posts

Hi , congratulations on the purchase! I think we may be regional neighbors. You’ll find really helpful insights to the spider here . The DV+ was my gateway modification too . ( pun intended) . Hope to see you on the road in sunnier days.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Thanks, Brexit! It looks like you've had great enjoyment improving your Classica along the way. I've been reading much about the AutoRicambi vs. Good-Win, and am on the fence between the two. Glad to know it's a fairly easy change (axle-back) and since I'm keeping the center resonators axle-forward, I'm not sure whether to do the resonated rear section too, or go complete resonator-less axle-back (on the Ricambi only, as the Good-Win offers flexibility there).

The DV+ is about the only other change I'm going to make. It sounds like the stock diverter is weak, but should be ok for the initial days of ownership. The DV+ sounds like it's more durable and provides more consistent operation. Since the turbo is the heart of this car, that seems like a good, basic improvement.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!
Hi again....DV+ is the first thing that Brian Goodwin suggests "if you only do one Mod" the original D has a plastic piston and weak spring and is only IN or Out so you get the slight turbo lag, the GFB DV+ has brass piston and strong spring and moves In and Out with acc pedal movement so flows. Good-Win exhaust "To Me" beats everything I looked at, I got Roadsport dual and it Burbles and Purrs, not too loud but you may wish to check out the latest stuff from Good-Win Racing, or inferior stuff if you must :rolleyes: . I found Classica brake pads and springs crap as the car brakes did not bite quick enough and car suffered understeer, but now.........:D.
Once the Crew Members wake up and contribute you will find you are as excited as I was / am still by the possibilities....I have "Abarthised", "Lussoised", B*stardised", "Aldoised" and "Apexised" and though I believe that I am now done, I keep thinking.........what if.....! Don't forget to keep washing your hands though........Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi again....DV+ is the first thing that Brian Goodwin suggests "if you only do one Mod" the original D has a plastic piston and weak spring and is only IN or Out so you get the slight turbo lag, the GFB DV+ has brass piston and strong spring and moves In and Out with acc pedal movement so flows. Good-Win exhaust "To Me" beats everything I looked at, I got Roadsport dual and it Burbles and Purrs, not too loud but you may wish to check out the latest stuff from Good-Win Racing, or inferior stuff if you must :rolleyes: . I found Classica brake pads and springs crap as the car brakes did not bite quick enough and car suffered understeer, but now.........:D.
Once the Crew Members wake up and contribute you will find you are as excited as I was / am still by the possibilities....I have "Abarthised", "Lussoised", B*stardised", "Aldoised" and "Apexised" and though I believe that I am now done, I keep thinking.........what if.....! Don't forget to keep washing your hands though........Cheers
I'm not sure what is cleaner - my hands or the new Spider! I'm on my second coat of hybrid ceramic after carefully clay barring and polishing. Positively pristine! The hands, that is - the car isn't bad either. ?

·
Registered
2019 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso
100 Posts
Welcome! So happy that you’re in love with your new Classica. Must admit, love signing on each day and seeing these posts from people who are new owners like me and have excitement. Given everything going on in the world, it’s always nice to read. I’m also a new owner and love it around these parts. Great place to learn from great people.

Best of luck with her!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Welcome! I've had mine for just a little over a month.....they are amazing cars that have a lot of potential, or just leave it alone. Have fun.

·
Registered
165 Posts
GoOrange, welcome here from a Capital region of NY owner as well. I'm here in Albany. Which dealer did you buy from? Got my new 2018 Abarth from Krystal in Warrensburg about a year ago. Absolutely love it. Added a Chipbox last fall and am very pleased with it. Where in the Capital area are you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GoOrange, welcome here from a Capital region of NY owner as well. I'm here in Albany. Which dealer did you buy from? Got my new 2018 Abarth from Krystal in Warrensburg about a year ago. Absolutely love it. Added a Chipbox last fall and am very pleased with it. Where in the Capital area are you?
Here in Niskayuna. I looked at one they had up at Krystal online ('19 Abarth with brembo if I remember right) but never ventured up because I knew I'd probably walk out with it. I really wanted to keep this one basic so I stayed away! Haha. I actually bought this at Valenti in Hartford. They treated me pretty well, all things considered. Hope to meet up, and hoping your ride doesn't generate buyer's remorse for me! ? Genuinely looking forward to the pure, basic roadster experience again. (had a new red '01 MR2 Spyder that was a lot like this car). My faster cars since have never been as fun. As Leno says, it's more fun driving a slow car fast. ?

·
Registered
165 Posts
My last Spider was a 1971 1600 in full Euro trim with dual Weber 40 IDFs and a turtle back air cleaner. Was one fast little car. This one is more fun!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My favorite car was one of my first. An Audi 5000 that was so woefully slow, loud, and expensive to maintain. Far outclassed by almost everything I've ever owned since, but I still can never replace the feeling I had owning and driving that car. Just loved it.

·
Registered
2019 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso
100 Posts
My favorite car was one of my first. An Audi 5000 that was so woefully slow, loud, and expensive to maintain. Far outclassed by almost everything I've ever owned since, but I still can never replace the feeling I had owning and driving that car. Just loved it.
Funny how that works, isn’t it? Hard to explain connections to particular cars. My EVO way back when was outclassed by many cars since, but I still hold such a special place in my heart for it. Was critical in my development as far as my love for cars goes,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Funny how that works, isn’t it? Hard to explain connections to particular cars. My EVO way back when was outclassed by many cars since, but I still hold such a special place in my heart for it. Was critical in my development as far as my love for cars goes,
You bet! Here's hoping we all have the same feeling about our Spiders someday.

Thanks again for the warm welcome, folks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Congrats. I bought the same car but with a stripe. Similar thoughts while purchasing as well, but I am going to go a little further with basic upgrades. I prefer looks close to the base car with the performance of the higher models. The 124 Spider really doesn't have an equivalent model like that similar to the ND Miata Club, but that is kind of what I am going for. Enjoy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats. I bought the same car but with a stripe. Similar thoughts while purchasing as well, but I am going to go a little further with basic upgrades. I prefer looks close to the base car with the performance of the higher models. The 124 Spider really doesn't have an equivalent model like that similar to the ND Miata Club, but that is kind of what I am going for. Enjoy!
Love the ND wheels on yours. Nice choice!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts