Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

New 2019 Abarth Owner here, a few issues/questions

4K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  TheAmazingDave 
#1 ·
Hello from Mid-state Illinois! I’ve been reading up on this forum daily for the past month to get some ideas on mods, what I should be expecting, and let’s be honest, because I couldn’t wait to get the car. Reading about it was half as good as driving it! Well maybe 10%, but I digress.

Couple of issues I’ve noticed so far, so any help is appreciated! Car is brand new, received with 79 miles and currently has ~250 miles, manual transmission.

1) On hard acceleration, the engine seems to... stutter? It feels like the turbo isn’t holding boost correctly. I still get good acceleration, but instead of the acceleration being a nice bell curve, there are minor dips during acceleration throughout the boost range. It’s not glaringly obvious, but I notice enough that it’s slightly annoying. Doesn’t feel like misfiring, but the car sat on the lot for a while. Maybe some corrosion in the spark plugs? Maybe I just need a DV+?

2) I’m missing one trunk ‘plug’. It’s in the center depression, and looks to be one of two completely flat plugs. Can these be ordered, or can I just pick one up from a dealer?

3) There is already some chips in the paint on the front fender. I’m not driving in rocks - is this paint really so thin? Anything we can do to combat additional chips and can I fix the current ones?

4) I have the Bose speaker package, and I’m underwhelmed. It seems like the sound is thin, missing a lot of midrange, and songs are either tinny or too bassy, with no in between. Anything I can do to increase the sound quality without a complete overhaul? I’m well versed in the speaker/headphone world and I’ve made a few DIY amps and such, so I’m happy to get my hands dirty if needed.

Sorry for the wall of text, and TIA. I look forward to getting to know everyone!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome !

1) either boost leak or iffy diverter valve. Both fixable. Try leak test first. Lots of solutions on these forums. Couod be misfire so maybe check spark plugs.

2) try dealer first off

3) paint is garbage. Some people ppf, or like me embrace it !

4) even the Bose is average. I have bose in my cx3 and its worlds apart. However there are lots of easy upgrade routes on this forum!!

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum,

for suggestions.

!) check everything and if you find something depending on what it is go to dealer.
2) definitely dealer
3) you have to take really good care of the paint but yeah is something tricky
4) look for upgrades or tweaks for it in the forum

#4 ·
Thank you both for the quick responses! I'll check out for the leaky boost - I found a leak tester kit, I assume that's all I would need along with an air compressor? If I am losing boost, how do I know where I'm losing it from though? I plan on ordering the DV+ and the Forge BOA, so I may just put that on to see if it fixes anything first before I go take it in to the dealer.

I also considered a vinyl wrap to keep the paint in good condition, is that commonly done? I don't think I've seen too many wrapped 124s on here. Seems like it wouldn't be super expensive since the car is so small.

Thanks for the advice! I'll check the forum for the Bose tweaks and check in with the dealer about the trunk plug.

#5 ·
There are some of the guys with vinyl wrap other ceramic coating or like me really carefully waxed

#6 ·
The Bose is much better with the top up, almost as if it was optimized for it. I didn't buy the car to listen to music.

Reactions: 4713
#9 ·
Great to know! It was feeling a bit squirrely in the corners, like it didn't have grip at the start of the turn but grabbed on near the end. This may be the cause!

A quality wrap isn't cheap. It is much less than a paint job but a quality full body wrap can easily be 2K.
I assumed it would be about that much. But hey, better to invest now to keep the paint looking good underneath. I love the matte look, so a wrap would be a good way to protect and add that look I'm going for. Now to decide what color..

#11 ·
Surprisingly they were fine when I checked them. They had only been sitting for an hour or so but read @ 32 psi, so seems like the dealer let out the air before shipping. That feeling in the corner may just be me getting used to the car 🤷‍♂️

#12 ·
In other news my VeePeak came in today so I'm going to see if it's throwing any misfire codes. US stock boost pressure is somewhere in the high teens/low twentys?

#13 ·
Sounds exactly like my issues when I bout my spider new.

Turbo is whacked, you'll need aftermarket stuff.

Chips in paint are because of the thin paint/gloss. Fiat has heard this complaining plenty, but they all pretend it's something new. You'll need to get an actual fca body shop to use a gauge on it. Then FCA will say they'll reimburse you for the paint, which is under warranty. Then they won't reimburse you at all. Now it's time to lawyer up. Make sure you keep photos and records and absolute do not rely on the online fiat maintenances records or notes as FCA loves to delete these whenever the mood strikes.

As for your sound- you'll need aftermarket speakers. You'll probably want to line the top with sound proofing to help keep down the outside noise. But remember that'll void your warranty, and then they'll never pretend they're going to replace your top even though most of them seem to wiggle and creak as you drive over 50mph. Again, lawyers are your friend here.

All in all, if this is a Sunday driving car you'll be fine. But if it's your daily driver you are screwed.

And remember- FCA has a vested interest in pretending nothing is under warranty: they'll cover you for 3 days of a rental, but if it goes over that they will claim they'll reimburse you for the remainder of the rental if the repairs are something under warranty. When your only FCA dealer has a mystery repair shop in town, and holds your car for inspection for 3 weeks, loses the lug key for your wheels, and fails to find anything wrong with the transmission that then, literally falls apart when you pick it up, so you'll have to pay several hundred or thousand dollars just for the rental, and towing back to your home with your Abarth which has 10k miles on it, bit because FCA support thinks it says 100k (in 8 months)...well, you're double screwed.

Big shout out to FCA, screwing over customers left and right. Thanks

#14 ·
Gosh, don’t hold back, tell us how you really feel😏. I think you’ll find the vast majority of owners love their Spiders. Sounds like you dealer is a putz, but that doesn’t make the car terrible or FCA “screwing their customers right and left”. I feel your pain, but come on, sound deadening in the top? It’s a freaking convertible WITH on of the quietest/best insulated tops out there. The turbo being “whacked”? Most folks here run a stock turbo with serious mods and zero issues. Brian Goodwin has had the fastest overall car at some autocrosses while running the stock turbo. Sounds to me like you and the Spider may not be a match.

#15 ·
Hey, that's my experience, and to deny my experience isnt very nice.

Granted, I am beyond frustrated, but I'm at the point that I'll need legal help to get anything defective on my car fixed. So telling me that I'm not right for my car is way off.

I love the car. I shouldn't be expected to lie to be dishonest with myself or to others explaining the very real interactions and troubles getting it repaired. When your car that's a year and a half old isn't working, and fiat is telling you that your transmission has to be repaired out of pocket, thus suggesting that it was designed to fail. Man, the car, my car that I love, is a lemon.

Hey, Charley Brown, sounds like that lump of coal you got isn't for you. You're just not hip with the lump of coal lifestyle.

I am sorry to ruin your perception of our beloved car, but it's the truth, new buyers should be aware. And really, the problem is the dealerships, less the car.

#16 ·
You're OK telling us about your issues with your car and your dealer, but you are using a mighty broad brush here.
Your dealership, and your car, doesn't not represent the majority.

#17 ·
Maybe. There's a lot of common issues with the cars themselves. A lot.

And it would be extremely dishonest to say most of the 12,000 spiders sold in the US didn't have any of these common issues. Or worse when they do, problems with dealerships that require legal aid.

This forum itself has some 5.7k posts. There are years old posts on this and other forums, epic tales of paint problems, transmission issues, and convertible top replacement stories. So, while the brush I'm painting might be broad, it's still very relevant, and I'm honestly given hope for my own spider when I hear more positive tales, or that there's a daily driver with zero problems.

#19 ·
Man, I am truly sorry about your experience, and I understand your frustration. My only points were that I do Not see the items you spoke of as “common problems” and (2) life is way to short and precious to waste dealing with a machine that stresses you out. I had a new car (brand X) a few years ago that was a lemon. (Leaks around the windshield, engine pulleysout of alignment, causing belts to break, causing a loss of power steering with no advance notice, would not start when temps dropped below 20f, rattles, etc). it was a real pos. After 6 months I said the heck with it and dumped it. The car, had it worked, was “exactly what I wanted”, mine was a lemon. Don’t let your yourself be Frustrated and upsetover ANY machine. The car doesn’t car and the only one you’re hurting is yourself. In your situation, I’d dump it. Good luck whatever you decide.

#20 ·
If I bought an F150 quad cab and expected it to perform like a Lambo, I'd be upset too. But, when I purchased my Spider, I understood the type of car I was buying into, and I temper my evaluation of it based on that. Paint thin? Maybe. But unless it's coated with a 1/4" of rock chip paint guard, any car will incur chip damage. As such, I have every vehicle I own protected with PPF for that very reason, and to provide additional protection and make washing easier, I also had this one ceramic coated. The audio system is adequate for what I need it to do, but in a convertible, there's only so much you can expect for sound deadening qualities from a soft top. All cars have "issues", and surprisingly enough, people tend to make the most noise when they have problems.... and that tends to make up a good portion of any vehicle owner forum's content.

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone here, inlcuding myself, is discounting the OP's feelings about their vehicle. He owns them. But I do believe there's a bit of caveat emptor in play here, in that they may not have fully appreciated or understood the general characteristics of the vehicle class they bought into. A case of maybe they thought they really wanted a little convertible, but didn't know what that experience would be like once desire became physical reality. Or maybe they did...

Regardless, I hope the OP manage to get things resolved to their level of acceptance, or choose to sell the vehicle and move on to something more in line with what they need to be satisfied. As Oldbear stated (and I agree), life's too short to muck around with something that drives you nuts.

Reactions: 4713 and Bob T
#23 · (Edited)
Regardless, I hope the OP manage to get things resolved to their level of acceptance, or choose to sell the vehicle and move on to something more in line with what they need to be satisfied. As Oldbear stated (and I agree), life's too short to muck around with something that drives you nuts.

OP here! Contrary to what my original post may suggest, I have found a personality and character in this car that is enhanced by what I have listed. I feel like they're what make the car a true joy to own - not that I enjoy having 'problems' with the car, but they have thrown me in to a world of research and care that I haven't given any other car I have owned. This is also the first new car I have ever bought, so there's a pride in that too.

Out of all the problems, I'd say that the only one I'm even slightly concerned about is the boost leak/misfiring. I bought a VeePeak, still trying to figure out what app to use... But I'm hoping that will at least show me the boost pressure and any misfire codes. The GFB DV+ and the Forge BOA are in my future regardless, so I might just throw them on in the coming months to see if that clears up the issue.

I don't want to take it in to the dealer and lose the last precious weeks of summer!

#22 ·
<edited for brevity>
2) I’m missing one trunk ‘plug’. It’s in the center depression, and looks to be one of two completely flat plugs. Can these be ordered, or can I just pick one up from a dealer?
<edited for brevity>
There are three flat plugs/caps in the trunk, two at the very back (closest to you when standing at the rear of the car looking into the trunk, and to the left hand side in the second photo). Normaly, both of these would be plain, but in my case I installed switched rear fog lights, and used the passenger side cap to run my wiring up into the vehicle (which is why in the photo you'll see flex conduit running from it, and the cap itself covered with black sealant material). Your vehicle obviously won't look like that, but it does show the two cap locations for you. The other one that I remember is more towards the passenger cabin and to the far left (as showin in the upper photo). There is no plug in the centre depression area. There's a recess between the two horizontal strips, but no hole.

If you're missing that one towards the driver cabin side of the trunk, then I'd be concerned as you'll also notice there's wriing that comes through it.

If you still believe you're missing a plug, take a photo of it and go visit your dealer that you purchased the car from. If it is truly missing, they owe you one, and you shouldn't have to purchase it. That said, the liklihood of them having in on site and in stock is slim to nil... but as a very basic component I'll speculate that they will get it in for you within a week of them requesting it.

PS The reason for the sound deadening in the trunk is because it's a pressed hollow pan it reproduces exhaust notes like a Jamaican metal drum. it will amplify the sound of the exhaust in the cabin.... and not in a good way. lol But it's really only something to consider if you're running a Record Monza exhaust or similar 3rd party exhaust system. If you're running stock exhaust, then it really shouldn't be an issue to worry about.

Hope this helps....

#24 ·
There are three flat plugs/caps in the trunk, two at the very back (closest to you when standing at the rear of the car looking into the trunk, and to the left hand side in the second photo). Normaly, both of these would be plain, but in my case I installed switched rear fog lights, and used the passenger side cap to run my wiring up into the vehicle (which is why in the photo you'll see flex conduit running from it, and the cap itself covered with black sealant material). Your vehicle obviously won't look like that, but it does show the two cap locations for you. The other one that I remember is more towards the passenger cabin and to the far left (as showin in the upper photo). There is no plug in the centre depression area. There's a recess between the two horizontal strips, but no hole.

If you're missing that one towards the driver cabin side of the trunk, then I'd be concerned as you'll also notice there's wriing that comes through it.

If you still believe you're missing a plug, take a photo of it and go visit your dealer that you purchased the car from. If it is truly missing, they owe you one, and you shouldn't have to purchase it. That said, the liklihood of them having in on site and in stock is slim to nil... but as a very basic component I'll speculate that they will get it in for you within a week of them requesting it.

PS The reason for the sound deadening in the trunk is because it's a pressed hollow pan it reproduces exhaust notes like a Jamaican metal drum. it will amplify the sound of the exhaust in the cabin.... and not in a good way. lol But it's really only something to consider if you're running a Record Monza exhaust or similar 3rd party exhaust system. If you're running stock exhaust, then it really shouldn't be an issue to worry about.

Hope this helps....
I'll take a picture later today, but it seems like a very minor part missing. I honestly didn't even notice it wasn't there until I was poking around the trunk one day. I'll go check the dealer and we'll see what they have to say.

I actually just received the CLD tiles! I may be taking on the install this weekend. I have stock exhaust at the moment but there is still definitely a resonance issue from 2-3k rpm and slight drone at highway speeds. I do plan on doing a muffler delete at some point, but that's a whole other expense that I can't justify to the wife - yet. Give it a month so she can forget about the original car purchase and I might win her over! It seems to me that it doesn't really matter what brand to go with, since removing the muffler will produce the same tone regardless of brand, no? I'm thinking something resonated since I don't want LOUD loud, so AR is what I'll most likely go with. I can't find info on the GWR site about the RoadsterSport being resonated or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.