Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saying Hey to everyone. I'm an old guy (early 60's) and finally after all these years bought a type of car that I've always wanted to own, but never pulled the trigger on. It's not a practical car when you have a family and not a lot of extra spending money, but now that I own my Spider, I'm so glad I went thru with it. I'm sure I don't have to tell any of you, but the fun factor is off the charts and I feel like I'm 16 again, searching for accessories and affordable performance items to help make the car my own. It's such a beautiful car and a blast to drive! I look forward to reading the different threads and learning more about my car. Thanks to all for your experience, wisdom, and passion for the Spider.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your Spider! My USA geography knowledge is failing me, where is STL? St Louis, MO perhaps?

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Just saying Hey to everyone. I'm an old guy (early 60's) and finally after all these years bought a type of car that I've always wanted to own, but never pulled the trigger on. It's not a practical car when you have a family and not a lot of extra spending money, but now that I own my Spider, I'm so glad I went thru with it. I'm sure I don't have to tell any of you, but the fun factor is off the charts and I feel like I'm 16 again, searching for accessories and affordable performance items to help make the car my own. It's such a beautiful car and a blast to drive! I look forward to reading the different threads and learning more about my car. Thanks to all for your experience, wisdom, and passion for the Spider.
Hi and Welcome....What a wise man you are.....choosing the 124 Spider ! Well I'm a few years older than you and have owned many different sports and performance cars over the years but I must agree with you..that this one is a little bit special. I also bought the "Classica" model having studied all the models and plumped for buying basic and "Abarthising" it to my taste. On the Mazda MX5 chassis/platform with mostly Mazda mechanical's and especially electrics, having the 1.4 Turbo Multi Air (wel proven unit) plus that "Italian" styling just finishes off a Great Reliable package. Enjoy and Drive Safe, Cheers
ron

·
Registered
242 Posts
Welcome to the Spider family. I'm also in (near) St Louis. I live on the IL side but work in Grand Center at the VA hospital. I've only seen two other 124s in the area, and one of them is Travis (Deyeme Racing on here) who lives west of STL. He and I are chiefs in the local SCCA and if you are ever interested in autocross, even just to come say hi and take a few rides with us, let us know! He owns a performance shop and has lots of Spider goodies on his website, too. For local installs and alignments, I suggest Solotime Perormance Specialties (SPS) who is the local Miata/sports car guru for alignments and stuff. I only make 1-2 cars and coffees a year, but I always take the Spider when I go.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Also, Gateway Miata Club has accepted me with open arms as one of them. They are a great group of people who like to do cruises west of STL through wine country as well as meet ups in the city for dinner from time to time. It's a great mix of people, too. Everything from 20-sometings to retirees. In fact, the most active members are retirees who do cruises during the week when the rest of us are stuck at work!

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Wow!.....Now there's a welcome that would be hard to duck, looks like you are off to a "Flying" start with zxtwou2 I'd say stis. Grab your helmet and that ride knowing that, should you fall out on the Autocross you are also welcome at the VA Hospital :) The local Mazda club sound welcoming and you get to put on your Tucs and bowtie or cruise with the crew should you feel the need, I would !..........Cheers
ron

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Welcome. We need pictures :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the very nice welcome to the forum!

Azzura, yes, STL stands for St. Louis, MO.

Zxtwou2, like yourself, I'm also from the Illinois side, over in Waterloo. Thanks very much for the local info - I'll check it all out. I was wondering if there are many Spiders in the region - they don't seem to be very common, but then that just adds to the appeal for me. I bought mine used from a West County BMW dealer with just 3,000 miles on it. According to the dealer, the original owner was a big guy (6 feet +) and though he loved the car he just had too much trouble getting in and out of it. I'm not as nimble as I used to be so I understand his reasons, but man - once I'm in it I can't keep a silly smile off my face.

Brexit & Wooley - thanks again for your warm welcome.

I'll post a couple pictures tomorrow. I'm going to attempt to put in the lighted acrylic wind deflector I ordered before Christmas. I'm not the most mechanical guy so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well. Thanks again - I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm Tim, by the way. I keep forgetting my name isn't in my sig on this forum. I'm up in Hamel. If you ever see a red Abarth with black heritage stripe, it's probably me! And if you ever need mechanical help, I have a garage full of tools and I do all my own work on my race car (the one that's undergoing major frame work, not the Spider, which has never needed work!)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello stlspiderguy,
Congrats on your Fiat and welcome to the family. We’re happy you're enjoying your vehicle. If you ever have any questions or concerns in the future, feel free to reach out to our team. We are always happy to help.
Laura
FiatCares

·
Registered
322 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hidy Ho STLSpiderGuy. I too am in STL. It's true, I've only seen a few of us on the STL streets. It's so fun to drive. Some of our little spidey's do have a few quirks but they are easily remedied. I intend to keep mine for many many years to come. Besides, we all good decent deals on them right? Looking forward to hearing your adventures.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts