Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Abarth came today. I drove it a few miles, and when I pulled into my garage I smelled burning oil. The car hood area is also crazy hot. Is this normal? I checked the dip stick and saw oil in there......? Dealer said it is stuff from factory wearing off, but I have owned performance turbo cars before and don't remember this. Thoughts?

·
Banned
425 Posts
Scary. I never felt my hood though. Hard to believe they spilled oil all over the engine at the factory, but it wouldn't take much on the exhaust manifold to make a big stench. It is a distinct smell. If the dipstick wasn't crazy hot, I would go with the dealer's guess. Notice what the engine temperature gauge was reading? Can't really get too hot if the coolant isn't.

·
Registered
529 Posts
FWIW

my A500 was just like this with hot oil smell in the first 6 months of ownership - reported back to the service centre. They found nothing and its never return.

But I would take in for an expert assessment

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
There was a faint oily smell with mine for a while - it's not burnt motor oil, though. It went away after a while. The engine compartment does get hot, also.

·
Registered
241 Posts
When I had a test drive, the car was brand new, five miles on the clock, and for the first 15 minutes smelt like somethin was burning, after that the smell went and all was fine

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Every new car I've bought smelled that way new.

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
Every new car I've bought smelled that way new.
Yes, what shark said. I'll add to it. There are a lot of coatings and chemicals that are left over from production. They get burned off and cause some odors you can smell when the car is new. This is normal and will go away.

Greg

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah,
Part of my new car smell. Also had another smoldering smell back in January, car sat for a week becasue of cold heavy rain, next sunny day smoke was coming out of the engine compartment, pulled over and found a nest. 3 mice, which were subsequently eliminated over the next couple days.

A few strands of grass ended up on the turbo and thats where the burnt pieces were, what a scare, thought the thing was going to burn to the ground.

You can see the battery is a convienient location for a nice warm nest. Left the hood open for a couple weeks every night I parked in the garage so that any mice would not like being in the open.

Ride On,
Daziner1959

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Normal new car stuff. A lot of components are coated in light oily coating to prevent corrosion. This stuff gets "burned off" during the first few weeks and goes away. Sounds normal to me.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yeah,
Part of my new car smell. Also had another smoldering smell back in January, car sat for a week becasue of cold heavy rain, next sunny day smoke was coming out of the engine compartment, pulled over and found a nest. 3 mice, which were subsequently eliminated over the next couple days.

A few strands of grass ended up on the turbo and thats where the burnt pieces were, what a scare, thought the thing was going to burn to the ground.

You can see the battery is a convienient location for a nice warm nest. Left the hood open for a couple weeks every night I parked in the garage so that any mice would not like being in the open.

Ride On,
Daziner1959
this is why when i park my car for storage that there are several piles of moth balls and i spray the area with peppermint oil. helps discourage the little critters to find some other area to infiltrate that isn't mine. i do not want any chewed through wiring.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I got the same thing on mine with about 25 miles on the clock. I pulled over and verified exactly what burning turbo paint smells like. Now I look forward to the new color. Rust brown.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts