Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys...I've been checking out this community for about a week now and it seems like a great bunch of owners. I just bought a Bianco Perla Abarth last week and I am absolutely loving it! This is the first roadster we have owned and it is already a lot of fun. The day we picked it up was my daughter's graduation from elementary school and on our way there my 8 year old son commented that he just couldn't stop thinking about the new car. Fun for the whole family, right?

We have owned Jeep Wranglers for nearly 10 years and while my wife loves the Jeep as well, her big complaint being that she couldn't put the soft top up and down on her own and always needed me to do it for her (maybe if she attempted to learn how to do it...well, that's another story!), so she had always wanted a "true" convertible one day where she could just push a button and down it goes. The roof on the Spider is pretty dang easy and fit the bill, even if it didn't have the push-button she was looking for. The only concession I had to make on the car was the automatic tranny...deal-breaker for the wife as she can't drive stick (see comment above about "learning"...old dog, new tricks. Oh wait, that sounds bad...strike that!).

My daily driver had been an old Land Rover Discovery (which I love, still do), but over the last year it seems to be in the shop more than it is on the road and it is a major PITA as we are a two car family out of necessity, not convenience. The wife and I were driving to Syracuse a couple weekends ago and my Disco had just gone back in the shop again...we both said enough and decided a new car was in order. Coincidentally our mortgage is about to paid off in July, so she said that I should get something fun and treat myself! I knew she would want a convertible but I wasn't crazy about the usual suspects (Audi, BMW etc) so I suggested the Spider. I had just pointed one out to her a couple weeks before that and she liked it. By the time we got to our hotel in Syracuse we were online pricing them out and had all but decided to get one. Classica all the way, because I'm notoriously cheap and don't like to part with my money.

We got back home to London late Sunday night and she had a quick turnaround to get a Monday afternoon flight to Florida for a week-long work trip. I was going to keep looking at Spiders to see what was around and I found the Bianco Perla Abarth in the dealer's inventory at the dealership that is less than a half mile from my front door. We had been leaning towards either red or black and probably the Classica, maybe the Lusso...but that Abarth in white with all the dark accents, wow! I was in love. I sent my wife the listing, along with a red Classica and black Lusso that were both at the dealership, and she said, "White, no question." Yup, she gave me the green light to go with the Abarth...you don't have to tell me twice! I went over to the dealership that night and my son and I took it out on a test drive for nearly an hour...when we finally got back to the dealership we had to find an open gate to actually pull in because they were closing up for the night. I told the salesman that I would take it but wanted to at least let my wife see it in person before I fully committed, so I put down a deposit to hold the car and made an appointment to come back with her the following Monday. We went back and bought it as expected. Got a pretty good deal on it too, over $6000 off the window sticker. My company has a fleet discount with Chrysler available to all employees, and it includes Fiat...score!

Two days later we were back to pick up the new wheels and it has been a silent war in the days since to see who gets out the door first in the morning to drive the Spider! Quick update on the Disco...the part for the repair was going to be $1200 from Land Rover :eek: so I ended up sourcing an aftermarket from the States for $250 instead. It is sitting in Port Huron, MI waiting for me to pick it up and then I will have myself a solid winter beater for the cold Canadian winter. Getting the garage all nice and clean so my new baby will have a cozy area come November.

·
Registered
97 Posts
congrats and welcome to this forum...many from Canada and TO if FULL of Fiat nuts.....look for our web site at italiancarday.com for the meets. One of them is this Sunday .....

·
Registered
727 Posts
Sweet story. Your Abarth is going to be a great family car. When I was growing up my family often had a roadster or two sitting around, awaiting a fun drive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet story. Your Abarth is going to be a great family car. When I was growing up my family often had a roadster or two sitting around, awaiting a fun drive.
I agree, a fun car is great for the whole family. My dad is a car nut and he always had a hot rod in the garage when I was growing up...it is important to teach your kids that a car can be so much more than your parents' taxi service, shuttling you to the mall or swim practice, etc. A car can be an experience all on it's own and now it is an experience for my kids, just like it was when my dad would take me out in his '37 Chev.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts