Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone.

The 124 has done some serious growing on me ever since I first saw it at the auto show in Detroit. I was admittedly not a big fan at first. Doubly so when I spoke to a dealer and found out how hard manual transmissions were going to be to come by initially.

Then there was a black 6sp Abarth in dealer inventory in Suburban Detroit at the end of December. Even with employee pricing, there was still a year-end deal to be had with incentives on a car that was in inventory!

So far so happy with the purchase, and glad to see there's a bit of an active following for the vehicle online. My last fun vehicle and online following was an original model year Volvo c30.

Cheers everyone, and here's to meeting up with some Michiganders once the snow and cold clear!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Congrats! Love the black-on-black... would have been very tempted by that if one had been available near me with the manual.

(I've also found the 124 is a hoot in the snow... why wait?)

·
Banned
425 Posts
Welcome and good choice. Like you, I haven't been able to bring myself to take it out in the snow and salt water, but don't know how much longer I can hold out. By 6sp, I assume you mean manual?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome and good choice. Like you, I haven't been able to bring myself to take it out in the snow and salt water, but don't know how much longer I can hold out. By 6sp, I assume you mean manual?
You would be correct!

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Welcome. Used to have a 2008 Volvo C30 T5 R-Design myself. Even had a presence on c30world before it got hacked.

Reactions: ThatsASeamus

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Salt. Road salt. Truckload upon truckload of road salt dumped everywhere. ;)
Ayup! That, and the salt in Michigan isn't melting anything right now because it's too cold!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Michigan winters

Living in Michigan you live with the Salt! :eek: just have to pick your days!;) hope to see you on the road, cheers and safe driving!

Reactions: ThatsASeamus

·
Registered
195 Posts
Salt. Road salt. Truckload upon truckload of road salt dumped everywhere. ;)
Forgot about that! No salt out here... screws with the salmon habitat.

(Makes for hilariously dangerous winter antics in the hilly regions - but it's the main reason you see so many great classic cars - especially Volvos - in the northwest despite all the rain. Last RWD turbo car I had was an intercooled '83 Volvo 245T wagon... with a stick. Ultimate sleeper. Really wish I'd held onto that thing...)

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Awesome! Prancing moose and all!
I liked my Prancing Moose. Had one on the back too. They were a nice car. They really needed suspension mods and a proper LSD though. They were more GT than hot hatch. But the engine was a torque monster and they were very comfortable and long legged...there were not many better cars to cross a continent in. Very under rated.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Forgot about that! No salt out here... screws with the salmon habitat.

(Makes for hilariously dangerous winter antics in the hilly regions - but it's the main reason you see so many great classic cars - especially Volvos - in the northwest despite all the rain. Last RWD turbo car I had was an intercooled '83 Volvo 245T wagon... with a stick. Ultimate sleeper. Really wish I'd held onto that thing...)
My sister lived on Squak Mt. for a number of years, and at least where she lived, you kind of stayed put or got out chains if you wanted to go up or down the Mt.

And yeah, whenever I visited her, it was always neat to see all the old cars still on the roads and still looking good out there.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First drive impressions

Went out for about 25 miles tonight because I couldn't leave it sit in the garage any longer...Plus it's going to be convertible weather in Michigan this weekend, and I want to know I'm okay to give it a run.

Approximate route
Pros:
  • You really can chuck the car at tight 90° corners in residential areas and it thanks you for it
  • Infotainment integration really is pretty phenomenal on the Abarth
  • quite comfortable climate control even with mid 30°F temps top up
  • Wind at 50 m.p.h. is comfortable with the top down (yes, top down in 30°F weather)
Cons:
  • To be expected, but rearward visibility is an issue with the top up
  • My body size and positioning could strongly benefit from a telescoping steering wheel
  • A slight rolling stop + turbo = gutless car for 2 or 3 seconds getting back in the gas
  • Need a grip pad for under the cell phone ahead of the shifter, otherwise acceleration will put it in your lap!
I didn't get a long enough drive in to see if the driver's seat and I will be good friends, but I get the feeling we'll be okay.
Now to see how well the dog puts up with playing co-pilot...>:)

·
Registered
727 Posts
Actually, compared to our big family sedan I don't find the rear visibility to be bad. Then again, I once owned a 2004 350z convertible with a tiny rear window so I guess I'm used to it. My Dog is so in love with the 124 that he will sit in it even when it's parked in the garage, dare I open the car door. Convertibles and dog noses are made for each other.

Attachments

Reactions: JFernald and RBH58

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Went out for about 25 miles tonight because I couldn't leave it sit in the garage any longer...Plus it's going to be convertible weather in Michigan this weekend, and I want to know I'm okay to give it a run.

Approximate route
Pros:
  • You really can chuck the car at tight 90° corners in residential areas and it thanks you for it
  • Infotainment integration really is pretty phenomenal on the Abarth
  • quite comfortable climate control even with mid 30°F temps top up
  • Wind at 50 m.p.h. is comfortable with the top down (yes, top down in 30°F weather)
Cons:
  • To be expected, but rearward visibility is an issue with the top up
  • My body size and positioning could strongly benefit from a telescoping steering wheel
  • A slight rolling stop + turbo = gutless car for 2 or 3 seconds getting back in the gas
  • Need a grip pad for under the cell phone ahead of the shifter, otherwise acceleration will put it in your lap!
I didn't get a long enough drive in to see if the driver's seat and I will be good friends, but I get the feeling we'll be okay.
Now to see how well the dog puts up with playing co-pilot...>:)
Dog looks up for it to me!

Reactions: LongBeachJim

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Forgot the other pro:
Headrest Bluetooth speakers are genius.

·
Registered
157 Posts
We had the same mind set and took ours out on Tuesday through the cool Wisconsin air. With mid 50's F this weekend you better check your pulse if you don't want to take the car out. We did roughly 40 miles and the odometer is sitting at 110 now. Gonna be driving it a lot the next couple of days to get used to the car. All of my manual experience is on Cummins Diesel's or crappy Nissan box trucks. It's a lot of run revving past 2,300 RPM before you shift! We will probably get the top down and get some pic's this weekend too.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Looks like 3 cars, now, in the Detroit surrounding area (on the forum, at least).

You will find that these tires don't work great in freezing temperatures, not too bad as long as the road is dry. This weekend looks to be 50s and 60s.

·
Banned
425 Posts
I too couldn't resist the warm weather so I called the insurance company and told them I was taking the car out to get the front tire repaired. (they will cover me for a day without reactivating insurance) Yes, on my short run last month I picked up a nail. It was leaking down slowly so I slightly over inflated and took it up to the tire repair place. My dealer provided a courtesy insurance package that included road hazard for the tires, lost key replacement, small paintless dent repair, and windshield ding repair among a couple of other things. The repair place unmounted the tire and patched it from the inside, then remounted and checked the balance on the tire. As the puncture luckily was right in the center of the tread, good as new.
Put a hundred miles on it around the area by taking the long way home. Grabbed some pics.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts