Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems AFE has released an intercooler w/wout piping, as well as a drop-in turbo upgrade for ~$1.1k.

Not sure if this has been posted here, but found it while perusing the Tork website.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yes, I'm running the aFe IC and piping. I was trying to shoot video, but we kept getting interrupted during install, so I gave up on it. I was able to do it without putting the fascia, but ended up pulling the fascia anyway while it was apart to working on something unrelated. So, I can tell you it IS easier with the fascia off, doing some work from in front of the car rather than under it. I also made an airdam from polycarbonate to force more air through the IC that would otherwise go under it (the stock intercooler has large foam blocks under it for s similar effect).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool! Thanks for the update. From what I can see the intercooler piping looks nice - although there are a lot of potential points for leaks. At that price I’m thinking I could have a shop create a set for me - but always good to have more options for the platform!

Looks like someone else posted about the turbo. Apparently stock with a billet wheel - so should spook faster but not really worth the work and priced close enough to the EC drop in that I’m not sure it makes sense for anyone.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I'm the guy who most wants options but in this case I can't see an argument for aFe here. The EC piping is superior in every way IMO.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Core does look good though, what are the dimensions of each? I'll have a look... back to back test would be good (dreaming, I know). Piping obviously EC option should be superior as 1 piece.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm the guy who most wants options but in this case I can't see an argument for aFe here. The EC piping is superior in every way IMO.
Why is the EC piping superior? From an ease of installation standpoint, or flow?

I'm not a fluid dynamics engineer, so... grain of salt here... but the more flexible wall tubing, the more pressure and vacuum fluctuations, I would think. There's a reason rubber line is used in brake systems as little as possible (and granted, that's an extreme example, but it stands). Ideally, you'd have rigid piping from the turbo to the intake manifold, but since that's not possible, you use couplers where necessary to allow some flex when the drivetrain moves.

I do think aFe could have done a little bit better job on the piping, but the intercooler itself is great.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Why is the EC piping superior? I'm not a fluid dynamics engineer, so... grain of salt here... but the more flexible wall tubing, the more pressure and vacuum fluctuations, I would think. There's a reason rubber line is used in brake systems as little as possible (and granted, that's an extreme example, but it stands). Ideally, you'd have rigid piping from the turbo to the intake manifold, but since that's not possible, you use couplers where necessary to allow some flex when the drivetrain moves.

I do think aFe could have done a little bit better job on the piping, but the intercooler itself is great.
I’m not an engineer either but not sure how much pressure fluctuation there could be with the EC piping. It’s flexible but still stiff enough to hold up to the pressures generated. My rational for saying it’s superior is because of the single piece on each side greatly reduces the possibilities of leaks. I’ve conducted few boost leak tests and it takes almost 30 seconds to drop from 25 PSI to 20 PSI and six full minutes to drop to 0 PSI. That’s more than acceptable for our application. I do have a concern about the longevity of the piping but so far so good.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've put a couple auto-x events behind us now with the aFe IC and piping. Everything is holding up well, although I would like to revisit the OE piping and add insulated p-clamps or something to the new IC pipes just to prevent rattles. Makes me nervous there's all that tubing that's not supported like the factory pipes. I've only glanced at the EC piping, but I'm guessing it's the same? Are there any other IC piping choices out there?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I've put a couple auto-x events behind us now with the aFe IC and piping. Everything is holding up well, although I would like to revisit the OE piping and add insulated p-clamps or something to the new IC pipes just to prevent rattles. Makes me nervous there's all that tubing that's not supported like the factory pipes. I've only glanced at the EC piping, but I'm guessing it's the same? Are there any other IC piping choices out there?
The EC piping is light weight Kevlar reinforced silicon so it doesn’t need supporting brackets. It is tightly squeezed in and does not rattle. The biggest risks to the EC tubing is rubbing up against something sharp and getting a cut or hole worn in it. I inspect mine regularly and so far so good.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I wish the V4 intake outlet to the fresh air duct was slightly bigger for a better fit...

If I ever have to take it off I’ll use vaseline to put in on again lol but it is a very tight fit.

·
Administrator
1,878 Posts
I'm in agreement here, the EC piping is superior in every way. Not only are there no transitions created between every single joint, but the risk of leaks is greatly reduced. The hose might flex but that doesn't mean it expands and contracts, thanks to the kevlar reinforcement. It's thick walled silicone. Easy to install, easy to replace, easy to inspect, and smooth throughout. It's better in every way. There are no sharp areas nearby that can rub (I paid close attention to this when installing mine), only a couple of pipes nearby, which I simply sprayed with some silicone spray (could have used silicone grease) to make sure that if there was any rubbing, it wouldn't cause issues down the road.

It's going to take a few years of testing on any solution to really evaluate its longevity but I don't have any concerns at this time. The stock IC plumbing on the other hand will begin leaking within the first few years. The fewer potential leaks points you have, the better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts