Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the dealers this morning to finish off some service. They had 3 Alfa Romeo Stelvio's that just came off the truck. Seemed huge compared to my 124.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Well it wasn't the end for Porsche, BMW, AUDI. Lamborghini is coming out with there's soon and now Ferrari is talking about getting in the game.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Baby boomers or Seniors they would like to drive these cars, but not too many have driven manual transmission, but would like automatic or don't have the will of a stick.

·
Vendor
3,662 Posts
I don't really think of the Stelvio as an SUV. It's not on a truck platform. I think of it as a tall station wagon. That's not an actual category, but it should be. The Stelvio, 500L, and many others are essentially wagon versions of their sedan counterparts just made extra tall to give an SUV type appearance. At least that's how I see it.

Greg

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
People like Crossover or SUV that drives like a car, that's why you see so many so called SUV on the road, they are tall cars, not TRUCKS.

Reactions: Roadscum and Greg

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don't always drive a roadster. Sometimes I want some storage and comfort for my passengers. the CUV's are outselling sedans. If reliability is there, seems like an alternative to XC 60 r-design when my current lease is up.

Reactions: Roadscum

·
Registered
430 Posts
Big lardarsed automatic SUV's ...............the beginning of the end for Alfa Romeo

Hope I am wrong

<sigh>
It's poor reliability and very weak customer support that will lead to their demise here in the US.
It's SUVs that lead the market in sales here. If they shape up it just might prolong their existence here.

Paul

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
If I'm going to have a Spider as a fun car, there needs to be something else that'll haul the kids to school and the whole family to wherever on vacation. Currently we have a dull-but-worth Kia Sorento filling that role and it did great on a 3000 mile round trip to Lake Tahoe recently. However, when the lease on that is up, I'm thinking the Stelvio might make a much more interesting alternative. Particularly if Greg and the guys at EC make some of the goodness they are working on for the Guilia available - I'm assuming it's the much the same powertrain...

·
Registered
550 Posts
Maybe I need to explain myself a wee bit more …..

First up – I accept the popularity of SUV’s and I begrudgingly accept that these “vehicles” do serve a practical purpose (heck, I even suggested one to my lil’ sis and now she adores her 500X). And I accept that from a pure commercial point of view that car companies need to follow the market.

But we are talking about Alfa Romeo here. It’s a brand that I adore. Not only are they releasing this “follow the market” SUV there is talk that they are now concentrating on a smaller SUV (to replace the current Giulietta) and another even larger 7 seater. What I want to know is where is the new Spider, a modern 105 coupé – small, nimble, spirited, unmistakably beautifully designed Italian cars ??…… cars that interest me

The reason I said the beginning of end was a more of a personal thing ….if Alfa end up just being a maker of German clones then it will be dead to me and I fear that my current Alfa will be my last (new) Alfa

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Maybe I need to explain myself a wee bit more …..

First up – I accept the popularity of SUV’s and I begrudgingly accept that these “vehicles” do serve a practical purpose (heck, I even suggested one to my lil’ sis and now she adores her 500X). And I accept that from a pure commercial point of view that car companies need to follow the market.

But we are talking about Alfa Romeo here. It’s a brand that I adore. Not only are they releasing this “follow the market” SUV there is talk that they are now concentrating on a smaller SUV (to replace the current Giulietta) and another even larger 7 seater. What I want to know is where is the new Spider, a modern 105 coupé – small, nimble, spirited, unmistakably beautifully designed Italian cars ??…… cars that interest me

The reason I said the beginning of end was a more of a personal thing ….if Alfa end up just being a maker of German clones then it will be dead to me and I fear that my current Alfa will be my last (new) Alfa
Porsche have shown the way here. Sell 150,000 Cayennes and Macans a year and you have the money to indulge in endless variations of 911's.

Alfa desperately need a volume seller if they are going to be able to afford to produce the fun cars we want to see.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Let me preface this post by saying that I am NOT an SUV person. I have driven a ton of them and have never been much of a fan.

I had the opportunity to drive one of these a couple of weeks ago. It had the base 4 cylinder motor and a few options. It was, by far, the nicest SUV I have ever driven. Even with the base engine, it really moved and the handling was almost car-like.

It is based on the Gulia platform so it has a pretty similar footprint.

I can only imagine how the 505hp version drives.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Savage geese on YouTube did a special on the death the sports cars, the stats they presented showed that 1 SUV model outsold ALL the sports cars from all the brands combined. Their take on it is we're not buying enough sports cars and manufacturers have to follow the money in order to stay in business. Hence, the SUV/crossover trend.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am so sick of the SUV/Crossover from an aesthetic point of view, 125 different cars, and they all look the same basically. No flavor, boring as ****.

As for the older folks not driving stick, maybe it has a little to do with the fact that manual tranny's from the late 70's and 80's were total piles of crap in many cars at that time. Most did drive a stick at some point, but the experiences they had with them were pretty bad. Hard shifting, poorly built, ....garbage. I remember a couple you could hardly pull hard enough to get in certain gears, and they would pop out of gear and nearly break your fingers. Some of the sticks were long and hideous. Todays manuals are smooth shorties and a total different experience by comparison. So I can understand why manual transmissions have a stigma for this age group.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts