Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I turned my previous fledgling thread on GPS nav into a full article, complete with a video tutorial on how to use the "Toolbox" software to update your maps.

Note, most recent map update is dated Feb 2018.

http://www.billavista.com/spider/Articles/Nav/index.html

Bill

·
Registered
204 Posts
Anyone manage to get the traffic function working? I imagine that connecting it to a wi-fi hotspot (like a cell phone) would give it access but whenever I tried to connect to my Android's hotspot I get "Network error" which is odd. I'll play with it further when I get a chance.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Anyone manage to get the traffic function working? I imagine that connecting it to a wi-fi hotspot (like a cell phone) would give it access but whenever I tried to connect to my Android's hotspot I get "Network error" which is odd. I'll play with it further when I get a chance.
Mine has the factory Nav system and real time traffic refuses to work.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mine has the factory Nav system and real time traffic refuses to work.
Well for real time traffic to work it will require internet access somehow. Unless there's a SIM card option in the system like OnStar has for example, I'm almost sure it needs to connect to either a Wi-Fi, blutooth or USB Internet hotspot.

That's where I fail. I haven't tried using an "open" hotspot - it may be that it simply doesn't support WPA2. The Nintendo Wii and Gameboy DS only supported WEP encryption until recently.

·
Registered
703 Posts
In one place, it says that it only works on radios with SiriusXM option, in another place it says the traffic information is derived from a signal in the HD FM Radio receiver, but then I found this:

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2017/mazda-connect-live-traffic-lawsuit-alerts-dont-work.shtml

So it may be that it doesn't work at all, and never has. It appears that "Historical data" would be embedded in the map software itself and updated annually... At some point it was a separate app in the "Apps" section of the radio (see photo) but that doesn't appear to be the case any more?

I never really noticed.

Also - although the hacks allow you to enable the WiFi, there doesn't appear to be anything that it's used for.

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
To use Live Traffic you have to set up your mobile/cell phone to be a WiFi Hotspot, and connect the car's WiFi to it. Live Traffic uses your mobile/cell phone data connection. I've not used it often enough to find the most efficient way to quickly enable the Hotspot, other than leaving it on all the time. Would be nice if it would use Bluetooth instead, but maybe it's too complex to be streaming music or a voice call at the ame time as sending traffic information?

·
Registered
204 Posts
In one place, it says that it only works on radios with SiriusXM option, in another place it says the traffic information is derived from a signal in the HD FM Radio receiver, but then I found this:

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2017/mazda-connect-live-traffic-lawsuit-alerts-dont-work.shtml

So it may be that it doesn't work at all, and never has. It appears that "Historical data" would be embedded in the map software itself and updated annually... At some point it was a separate app in the "Apps" section of the radio (see photo) but that doesn't appear to be the case any more?

I never really noticed.

Also - although the hacks allow you to enable the WiFi, there doesn't appear to be anything that it's used for.
I did a bit of research on traffic information through the TTN channel (HD radio) and the radio needs to be tuned into one of the channels that provide the information for it to work.

Essentially if you live outside of a few large cities like Toronto or Vancouver - there are none in Montreal although some channels will send information on the screen like weather, gas price advisory (wild in the Montreal region, up to 1.45$/l for regular :eek: ) and what show is currently playing.

I haven't checked the US market but I expect the same results to apply, so if you live in a big city you should be able to get traffic through that extra channel, otherwise wi-fi hotspot if you can get it to connect to your phone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got my map sd card on eBay for about $80. The update was fiddly but did work and the nav in the car works fine. I discovered you can use the voice command button to enter an address. Just say “navigate to new address” or something similar and the system will prompt you to say the full address. Seems to work fine so far.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts