Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I apologize for the rookie question here but please help...

Looking at BOV options, this being only my second turbo car and the first was only minimally modded and vastly different from my new Abarth (Had an 04' SRT-4).

Want that nice turbo sound...Planning on getting the V1 intake (California gets picky with to many intake/exhaust mods/shinny bits/etc). What is the difference between the Forge BOV or the GFB Diverter and Forge adapter plate? Want the atmospheric vent for the sound but unsure of the actual difference between a DV and BOV.

Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Forge make both an atmospheric (pssst!) and recirculating (no pssst!) BOV, the latter of which does the same as the GFB Diverter which is to recirculate boost on gear changes into the intake (to put it simply).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Is there a downside to atmospheric venting or is it done that way on stock vehicles simply because of a mandate?

The adaptor plates offer zero benefits but is there a downside, like do they cause the car to run lean or rich?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
The DV+ helps hold boost between shifts. It's a great part.

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
The GFB and Forge products are quite different.

The GFB unit offers very simple installation and it's a high quality part. It reacts faster and seals better than the stock valve. However it doesn't seal perfectly, and in this specific application it has some limitations at some very high boost levels (that as far as I know, nobody is currently running in a 124).

I want to stress that the GFB valve is excellent and it's by FAR the most popular valve for this car, and with good reason.

The Forge unit is better, but it's quite a bit more expensive, and installation is more complex. It does however seal perfectly and can be configured for boost levels over 29psi and even higher. The Forge valve is sold in two versions, external and internal blow off.

Now if you want the whoosh sound from external venting, that's an option with either, but you are probably better off getting the Forge unit. The GFB unit will require an adapter plate which will close the gap on the price difference. So if you want that sound, it's probably better to get the Forge BOV that's set up for an external blow off.

Other than sound, there really isn't any practical difference between external venting and internal. An argument can be made that external is better because it prevents the heated boost air from taking another trip through the turbo and heating up even more. I suppose that could be a factor in some cases, but I think it's negligible in the applications we are talking about here.

Greg

·
Registered
126 Posts
I went with the GFP unit and an adapter plate. The results are fantastic. The sound is barely noticeable below 3,000 RPM so it's not annoying, but go above and you get a great noise. in addition throttle response is much better and the car holds boost better. Navigating parking lots at low speeds in both 1st and 2nd gear is much easier since the car doesn't buck as much at low revs. Overall a fantastic mod for ~$200.

The one thing is if you go this route to get three longer (M6x50mm) screws to accommodate the adapter plate.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
I went with the GFP unit and an adapter plate. The results are fantastic. The sound is barely noticeable below 3,000 RPM so it's not annoying, but go above and you get a great noise. in addition throttle response is much better and the car holds boost better. Navigating parking lots at low speeds in both 1st and 2nd gear is much easier since the car doesn't buck as much at low revs. Overall a fantastic mod for ~$200.

The one thing is if you go this route to get three longer (M6x50mm) screws to accommodate the adapter plate.
What adapter plate did you use???

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I Just ordered the GFB DV (w/ longer screws) and the TS BOV and K&N filter. Cant wait for them to come in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts