Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I collected my newly registered Passione Red 124 Lusso from Workington in Cumbria UK. It was generally sunny yesterday so I enjoyed the drive home over the Lake District fells (hilly moorland) with the top down.

I got a few smiles as the car is quite rare here, and a "nice Fiat" comment from a pick-up driver who stopped to let me past in a narrow country lane.

I am still getting to know the car, and I would like to thank this forum for the information given here, which I read through before I bought the car so I knew what to look out for at the dealer.

The 124s were introduced in the UK autumn last year. I saw an advertising hoarding for the car earlier this year and thought that it was nice looking but I did not know what it was. I looked on the Fiat website, then checked out various on-line reviews. I also got side tracked into looking at Porsche Caymans and Lexus RC coupes, but I was underwhelmed in the Porsche and I thought the Lexus was too complicated. After test driving a Lexus in Carlisle, my wife and I detoured to Workington to look in the Fiat dealer, saw the red 124, arranged a test drive for the following week, and here I am a new hopefully proud owner!

My mid-life crisis was a TVR Cerbera which I had 6 years ago. Before that a Jaguar XJS which I really liked, and after that a Jaguar XK8 which was not as good. Neither Jags were really suitable here in the Lakes as they are quite wide for the country lanes. I did not like the TVR which I only kept for a year. The Fiat may be my "late-life crisis".

I don't think the UK owner's manual provided with the car is that well written. For example, the "advanced keyless entry" says pretty much the same as the "keyless entry" section but with less words. By downloading the US manual and the MX5 manual I was able to fill in the gaps and now I understand why I could open the boot using the release button under the boot lid after I thought I had locked the car. Also the MX5 manual explained what the 4th button on the key fob was for and how to use it (disabling the motion detector). The UK manual does not mention it in the key fob section (but I am still ploughing through the manual so the reference may be somewhere else).

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Congrats. The Lake District is perfect for this car.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Congrats on the new acquisition

Thou - it never ceases to amaze me that it seems the county with the most convertibles (% of population) seems to be England ............. like, the weather !!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts

Thou - it never ceases to amaze me that it seems the county with the most convertibles (% of population) seems to be England ............. like, the weather !!
In some countries, you drive a convertible and get skin cancer. In others hypothermia. Choose your poison. Except here in Colorado where we can do both simultaneously 6 months of the year...;):D

·
Registered
107 Posts

England I reckon is an excellent country for convertibles as the weather is often cloudy without actually raining.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
England I reckon is an excellent country for convertibles as the weather is often cloudy without actually raining.
Yesterday was a good example of this. Cloudy all day with no rain. I took it on a 100 mile round trip in the Lakes with the top down most of the way.

One thing you can guarantee here in the UK is that whatever the weather, someone will moan about it: Too hot! Too cold! Too wet! Too dry! etc.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yesterday was a good example of this. Cloudy all day with no rain. I took it on a 100 mile round trip in the Lakes with the top down most of the way.

One thing you can guarantee here in the UK is that whatever the weather, someone will moan about it: Too hot! Too cold! Too wet! Too dry! etc.
...usually all in one day...!

I've had the top down most of the summer in Scotland. Went up to Glenshee yesterday with the bikes on the back, climbed a Munro (a Scottish mountain over 3000 ft), back to the borders... a long day made much more fun by the Spider. You feel much more part of the countryside with the roof down!

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
I drive mine all the time with the roof down. I took delivery in October so I got some slightly odd looks with my woolly hat on and the roof down. Fortunately the bum warmers and heater are really good!

Even with the changeable weather here I can usually drive either to or from work with the rood down.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
...usually all in one day...!

I've had the top down most of the summer in Scotland. Went up to Glenshee yesterday with the bikes on the back, climbed a Munro (a Scottish mountain over 3000 ft), back to the borders... a long day made much more fun by the Spider. You feel much more part of the countryside with the roof down!
I learned to ski at Glenshee. Seems a loooooong time ago.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I learned to ski at Glenshee. Seems a loooooong time ago.
Oh wow! So did I! and Glencoe and Cairngorm - just used to see where the forecast was best (least bad) and take off from Glasgow at 5:30 on a Sat morning.

Less predictable now with global warming (sorry, Trump - it's real), but still some good skiing to be had. I am however booking Zermatt for next year. Again.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Oh wow! So did I! and Glencoe and Cairngorm - just used to see where the forecast was best (least bad) and take off from Glasgow at 5:30 on a Sat morning.

Less predictable now with global warming (sorry, Trump - it's real), but still some good skiing to be had. I am however booking Zermatt for next year. Again.
You can always tell someone who learned in Scotland - they ski the tightest lines down the mountain because they learned on a strip of snow 6 feet wide...:)

We used to jump in my Fiat Uno and drive up from Glasgow to wherever - usually Aonach Mor if it had snow - the back corrie there is awesome. I laugh about that because of some of the conditions we'd quite happily drive that 45 horsepower beast in. Now if there's even a hint of snow in the forecast we won't leave the house without four wheel drive SUV's, snow tires, chains in the boot just in case, and heated seats. We have most definitely gone soft.

Reactions: Seagas

·
Registered
79 Posts
Aonach Mhor is great - but didn't exist when I was learning! That dates me a bit...

Still struggling with how to get the skis into the spider. Hinges?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Aonach Mhor is great - but didn't exist when I was learning! That dates me a bit...

Still struggling with how to get the skis into the spider. Hinges?
Aonach Mhor opened right around the time I got my driving license. Before that, my older brother drove us up to Glenshee or Aviemore.

As for skis in the Spider - passenger seat with the top down. Should work well in Scotland in January...

·
Registered
107 Posts

Off-topic so I'll send you a private message but would appreciate some advice about European skiing. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts