Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I prob stalled like 20 times on the first day of driving home my manual abarth

It was much better afterwards on the second day.

I had some questions....as a new manual driver.

1. I grind the gear a little by shifting too fast, trying to avoid jerkiness from too much rpm drop when shifting. how much damage did I do with the grinding, probably grinder 4 times now on different gears, how concerned I should be? Now I take it slow and avoid grinding the gear.

2. Today I was trying to downshift to 1st when rolling, from 3rd. I did some research everyone downshift to 2nd. 1st gear was very hard to push it in. It also grinded a little today, but my clutch was pressed all the way to the floor. There is also a noise when I downshift to first that I can't describe. Is there no syco on the first gear? Now for that reason when I slow down i only downshift to 2nd.

Thank you everyone for reading this and helping me out.

·
Registered
351 Posts
1. Make sure you're completely in the next gear before releasing the clutch. It's just a matter of getting the timing/coordination down between your right hand and left foot. 1st to 2nd is pretty rough with this transmission, I usually have to slip the clutch a tad to smooth it out.

2. 1st gear isn't synchronized, so you have to double clutch or blip the throttle to rev match on downshifting sometimes. This is to keep you from shifting into 1st by accident so you don't blow up the engine if you're going too fast.

Find yourself a big, empty parking lot to practice your shifting. It will become second nature before long.

Hang in there!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Kudos to the OP for choosing the Manual !! (Its sad they are dying here in Australia)

Agree with all TomM has said. But would add that may be pay for some professional instruction

With practise you will get the hang of it - its not that hard

One thing - it is easier to stall a turbo motors .... so do not lose heart !!

FWIW - I learnt on my dads auto and my first car was a manual Fiat 850 Sport and essentially learnt as I went along (after some few basic lessons)

·
Administrator
2,024 Posts
I prob stalled like 20 times on the first day of driving home my manual abarth

It was much better afterwards on the second day.

I had some questions....as a new manual driver.

1. I grind the gear a little by shifting too fast, trying to avoid jerkiness from too much rpm drop when shifting. how much damage did I do with the grinding, probably grinder 4 times now on different gears, how concerned I should be? Now I take it slow and avoid grinding the gear.

2. Today I was trying to downshift to 1st when rolling, from 3rd. I did some research everyone downshift to 2nd. 1st gear was very hard to push it in. It also grinded a little today, but my clutch was pressed all the way to the floor. There is also a noise when I downshift to first that I can't describe. Is there no syco on the first gear? Now for that reason when I slow down i only downshift to 2nd.

Thank you everyone for reading this and helping me out.
Reminds me of 5 years ago when I bought my Cruze. First manual car, stalled it a few times leaving the lot.

It's not your speed of shifting that's causing your grind, but as noted by Tom, your progression of steps. Fully engage the clutch before you shift, and don't disengage the clutch until you're firmly into gear.

You didn't do too much damage. I wouldn't worry about it to be honest.

1. Make sure you're completely in the next gear before releasing the clutch. It's just a matter of getting the timing/coordination down between your right hand and left foot. 1st to 2nd is pretty rough with this transmission, I usually have to slip the clutch a tad to smooth it out.

2. 1st gear isn't synchronized, so you have to double clutch or blip the throttle to rev match on downshifting sometimes. This is to keep you from shifting into 1st by accident so you don't blow up the engine if you're going too fast.

Find yourself a big, empty parking lot to practice your shifting. It will become second nature before long.

Hang in there!
I am fairly certain this transmisison has a synchronized 1st gear. I've been able to get it into 1st gear without first rev matching on a number of occasions. Usually, only one synchro cone is used for 1st gear, while 2 or 3 might be used for 2nd gear, depending on the transmission. My brief research showed the NC miata had upgraded synchro packs for "1st through 6th" gear, suggesting that 1st does have a synchro.

Not intended to be an AMSOIL plug, but I noticed a much easier time getting into 1st gear while downshifting after swapping fluids. It was near impossible on the OE fluid unless I came to a full stop.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank everyone so much for the advice. The car just feels weird when I downshift to 1st.

I grind gears because of the clutch engagement.

I was just trying to avoid the jerkiness feeling by matching the RPM speed, when I shift too slow the RPM drops too quickly XD

I already have 3 quarts of Amsoil MTF and Motul 300V 5W-40 coming in next week, car is 1200 miles and Im ready to switch it out. I think we are still

not clear on the specification on the Rear LSD oil correct?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I never shift into first unless I am at a full stop. Second is fine if you are moving at all.
Drive it in Sport mode and I think you will have less likelihood of stalling.
A little grinding of gears won't hurt them; they are built to take it.

Reactions: Codyroo and thinc2

·
Registered
673 Posts
I was just trying to avoid the jerkiness feeling by matching the RPM speed, when I shift too slow the RPM drops too quickly XD
One thing that may help with the "Jerkiness" is a Go Fast Bits DV+ Diverter Valve, When I first got the car, I found the shifting to be very very jerky because of the excessive turbo lag I was getting between shifts.

When you lift off the throttle to shift, the diverter valve goes full open and dumps all of the boost pressure, when you let the clutch back out as you press the accelerator, the engine's power goes "flat" for a brief period until the turbo spools up. This caused my shifts to feel really rough, and caused me to stall a few times.

The DV+ seems to hold boost for a bit longer then the stock diverter valve, long enough to shift gears. The turbo lag in this car is awful in my opinion, the DV+ made a world of difference to me. The DV+ really improved the driveability of the car. I am in my mid 50's and I have driven a stick my whole life, so I kinda know how to shift...

The Go fast Bits DV+ cost about $140.00 and is very quick and easy to install. there are a couple threads on this forum if you want to know more.

PS: I have no relationship with Go Fast Bits and I don't sell them, I am just a happy customer.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One thing that may help with the "Jerkiness" is a Go Fast Bits DV+ Diverter Valve, When I first got the car, I found the shifting to be very very jerky because of the excessive turbo lag I was getting between shifts.

When you lift off the throttle to shift, the diverter valve goes full open and dumps all of the boost pressure, when you let the clutch back out as you press the accelerator, the engine's power goes "flat" for a brief period until the turbo spools up. This caused my shifts to feel really rough, and caused me to stall a few times.

The DV+ seems to hold boost for a bit longer then the stock diverter valve, long enough to shift gears. The turbo lag in this car is awful in my opinion, the DV+ made a world of difference to me. The DV+ really improved the driveability of the car. I am in my mid 50's and I have driven a stick my whole life, so I kinda know how to shift...

The Go fast Bits DV+ cost about $140.00 and is very quick and easy to install. there are a couple threads on this forum if you want to know more.

PS: I have no relationship with Go Fast Bits and I don't sell them, I am just a happy customer.
About that, I wanted the soda can sound so I actually ordered a forge bov

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Its rare to need to change down to first - a really tight, uphill, hairpin bend maybe. If the car's moving at anything more than walking pace, it'll pull in second.

If you are coming to a stop, work down to second, then let it coast to a halt.

·
Administrator
2,024 Posts
Thank everyone so much for the advice. The car just feels weird when I downshift to 1st.

I grind gears because of the clutch engagement.

I already have 3 quarts of Amsoil MTF and Motul 300V 5W-40 coming in next week, car is 1200 miles and Im ready to switch it out. I think we are still

not clear on the specification on the Rear LSD oil correct?
A guy that knows his oil. Nice! Hope you ordered AMSOIL's MTG, not MTF (Synchromesh).

LSD spec is most likely a 90 weight gear oil. The big question is what additives are used, and if the OE gear oil is already formulated with those additives, or if an additive is added to the gear oil when the diff is filled. In either case, I haven't seen a reason to change it yet.

·
Registered
557 Posts
the things I used to say teaching people to ride motorbikes about shifting:

1) do the steps slowly, and speed comes once you have mastered being smooth
2) don't let frustration get the better of you, deep breath
3) once you "get it" you will never "un-get it" and you'll wonder why you ever thought it was hard

good luck / keep plugging away

·
Registered
79 Posts
First is ONLY used for starting to move from stationary. NEVER shift to 1st while moving at over 5mph - or preferably at all.

Synchromesh on all the other gears means you really don't have to worry - during normal driving, don't rush the gear change: you have all the time in the world.

We don't really do automatics here in the UK... Congrats for having the balls to get one! SO much better for this kind of car.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
We don't really do automatics here in the UK...
Had to teach my wife to drive an automatic when we moved over to the US from the UK. She'd never driven one before that. That 'keep your left foot on the floor' thing takes a while to get used to.

In the UK, if you do your driving test in an automatic, you can't legally drive a manual until you resit your test in a stick car. I'd estimate fewer than 1% don't do it in a manual. I personally only know one person that did that way.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I taught my three children to drive using a manual. They all complained at the time and thank me now.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I never shift into first unless I am at a full stop. Second is fine if you are moving at all.
Drive it in Sport mode and I think you will have less likelihood of stalling.
A little grinding of gears won't hurt them; they are built to take it.
What TrueBill said:

- Don't shift into first until stopped.
- Use Sport mode - it gives you higher rpm's and makes it harder to stall

·
Registered
28 Posts
My best advice for the new manual driver... find the sweet spot of the clutch.

How do you find it? Easy. (Make sure the road is flat and not incline or uphill.
Step on the clutch fully and put the gear into first gear. Do not press on the gas at all.
Slowly lift the clutch foot and you should feel the car wanting to move, keep going slowly until the car is moving forward without gas at a snail pace. This is the sweet spot or G spot of the car. Once you are comfortable with this technique. If you stalled a few time, don't give up.

Add a little gas and you will be taking off. Taught all my friends to drive a stick and this method helps them get comfortable real quick and improve their driving skill with a manual quicker.

·
Registered
350 Posts
the things I used to say teaching people to ride motorbikes about shifting:

1) do the steps slowly, and speed comes once you have mastered being smooth
2) don't let frustration get the better of you, deep breath
3) once you "get it" you will never "un-get it" and you'll wonder why you ever thought it was hard

good luck / keep plugging away

Right you are, I haven't owned a manual transmission car in over 40 years, wife can not physically drive a manual, but when I get in a manual tranny car, I have no problems driving it. Like riding a bike, once you have it, you'll always have it. It may be a bit rusty and take a bit to knock the rust off, but it comes back pretty quick.

Now let's talk about a motorcycle with heel/toe shifter to make things interesting.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'll third the comment about putting the car in sport mode. The change in throttle mapping makes it WAY easier to prevent stalling out the car in first gear. I also have had issues getting the car into first gear (in fact, I was going up a steep hill, with switch backs, behind a line of cars incapable of handling the road with any type of speed (anyone who has been to the Mountain Winery concerts in Saratoga CA will understand what I'm talking about).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts