Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fiat members. My name is Bill Bonnichsen and I live in N. Ca. I just purchased a 2017 Fiat 124 Lusso 6 days ago. It has the premium package and I am quite happy with the car though not so happy with the dealership I bought it from. I have one question that I hope you can help me with. The car has a fine gritty substance on the body. Ive washed it twice and waxed it yesterday and while it is better the grit is still there. Any explanation and suggestions? Again, I am happy to be a new member and look forward to my Fiat.

Bil B

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sounds like it's been outside on the dealers lot for to long. Might just need a good detailing. Which dealer did you get yours from, and why are you not happy with them?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Clay bar.

Reactions: Mike34 and Not Sure

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like it's been outside on the dealers lot for to long. Might just need a good detailing. Which dealer did you get yours from, and why are you not happy with them?
Got it a Dodge dealer in Elk Grove, Ca. Their detailing seemed to be only rinsing the car off before I took delivery. On the way home the windshield washer low light came on. No fluid in the reservoir. The sales person told me that the navigation was not included in the premium package and wanted to charge me $900 to install it. I told him no way and pointed out that the nav was included in that package. My wife and I got up and started to the door when the salesman said to save the deal he would throw it in but it had to be ordered. I got that in writing. That evening when I got the car home I found the navigation chip in the glove box between the seats. I installed it (which took about 30 seconds) and the nav works just fine. I called the dealer and complained about that and other things. I told them how pissed I was that a salesman didn't know what came with the car and tried selling me something totally unrelated and that if a dealer is asking for $30000 and more for a car they should know what the **** their selling. After several unreturned calls the general manager called me and has given me 2 years of free oil changes for my inconvenience and their screw ups. A couple of other issues but I'll stop with this.

bill B.

·
Registered
479 Posts
clay bar will be the best option for cleaning the surface. but it is my opinion this should be accomplished by the dealer

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear that. There's thread here somewhere about what to check to make sure that the dealer did all the prep correctly. Big things seem to be checking the tire pressure, and the drain plugs. There have been quite a few people here who have gotten the nav card off ebay far about $150 and been very happy with it. I also have not been impressed with the dealers in the SF bay area. I had to go to southern Calif to get mine. It was a nice trip though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ouch, sorry to hear that. There's thread here somewhere about what to check to make sure that the dealer did all the prep correctly. Big things seem to be checking the tire pressure, and the drain plugs. There have been quite a few people here who have gotten the nav card off ebay far about $150 and been very happy with it. I also have not been impressed with the dealers in the SF bay area. I had to go to southern Calif to get mine. It was a nice trip though.
Actually Phil, reading some of the post on this forum I think I am going to call the dealer and demand a detailing like they should of done. My tire pressure light came on Monday evening. I hit the reset to get it to go off. Tire pressure were good. This morning I let 15 psi out of tire to make sure the compressor works that came with the car. The low pressure light didn't illuminate. From what I can gather, there is something that needs to be set at the dealer with a scanner.

Bill B.

·
Vendor
3,662 Posts
Hi Bill,

Congratulations on your new car. The tire pressure monitoring system needs to be set up. The dealer should have done this, but they often don't. Follow the simple procedure in the owner's manual to straighten this out.

Greg

·
Registered
166 Posts
Actually Phil, reading some of the post on this forum I think I am going to call the dealer and demand a detailing like they should of done. My tire pressure light came on Monday evening. I hit the reset to get it to go off. Tire pressure were good. This morning I let 15 psi out of tire to make sure the compressor works that came with the car. The low pressure light didn't illuminate. From what I can gather, there is something that needs to be set at the dealer with a scanner.

Bill B.
For the tire pressure system there is no sensor in the tires like other cars(at least on the Lusso's and Classica's, Abarth's are different), it monitors the ABS system for differences in speed of the tires. It does need to be initialized, there's a process on page 120 of the owners manual (or page 84 of the users guide) So letting air out will not trip the system unless you drive the car with it low. If it was me and I was not happy with the dealer I'd get them to pay for the detail, but I'd get my own place to do it, so I know I'd be happy. Or if the extra nav card shows up you could take that sell it on ebay and pay for a nice detail :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Bill,

Congratulations on your new car. The tire pressure monitoring system needs to be set up. The dealer should have done this, but they often don't. Follow the simple procedure in the owner's manual to straighten this out.

Greg
Guess I need to reread the manual. I didn't see anything about setting up the system. Still falls back on the dealer not prepping the car which I am going to address. I really appreciate the input.

Bill B.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If the dealer screwed up all this..

Hi Fiat members. My name is Bill Bonnichsen and I live in N. Ca. I just purchased a 2017 Fiat 124 Lusso 6 days ago. It has the premium package and I am quite happy with the car though not so happy with the dealership I bought it from. I have one question that I hope you can help me with. The car has a fine gritty substance on the body. Ive washed it twice and waxed it yesterday and while it is better the grit is still there. Any explanation and suggestions? Again, I am happy to be a new member and look forward to my Fiat.

Bil B
Do you really trust him to detail your car correctly?? Probably has some high school kid in the back with earphones drilled into his scull, listening to some high volume : acid rock and is not paying attention to what he is doing and really doesn't give a Truck..
Go to Walmart and buy a Mcquires clay bar kit and do,it yourself in the garage with a beer and some good County music. The self sadification and knowing you did it correctly will be worth it.:D:D:)

·
Vendor
3,662 Posts
Hi Bill,

The TPMS is a bit weird in this car. It requires you (or the dealer) to set your desired pressure. Then it will alert you to deviations from that setting. Since the dealer often doesn't set it up, it's pretty common to get tire pressure warnings when everything is fine when the car is new.

Oh, and if the didn't set up the TPMS, or properly detail the car, you can bet dollars to donuts the didn't install the chassis plugs either. There is a thread about that here somewhere. The good news is that people on this forum will help you get everything set up.

Greg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts