Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

After driving Miatas for 15 years (... and being fairly satisfied with them), I finally followed my heart and bought the most beautiful of them all, a brand-new, red, manual 124 Spider Lusso. I'm sometimes finding myself in the garage enjoying just looking at it, but then my rational side reminds me that for the better part of the month I have owned the car, it was in the shop with an engine leaking oil ( due to a faulty oil pump, according to the dealer). When I came home tonight, after shutting-off the engine, I heard a very "scratchy" running noise coming from the vicinity of the turbo. Am I being paranoid or might the turbo have a problem?

I was wondering what kind of experiences, good or bad, other people had with their Spider.

Thanks,

Thomas

·
Registered
242 Posts
5200 miles and nary a problem. 2017 Abarth manual w/luxury trim. Fingers crossed though.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
There is a pump system that circulates coolant around the turbo for a few minutes after shutdown, to help cool it off. This is not mentioned in the owner's manual, but talked about often on this board. It comes on a few seconds after shutting off the car, and is normal. Hearing a mild humming sound from the turbo is to be expected. Your description of a scratchy noise... you would almost need to hear the same function on another car to know if yours is normal or if it's an issue.

Anyway, I hope you have many happy, fun-filled miles with your new car. I know I am! Your rational side will relax as the miles go by.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Thomas, Welcome and I'm sorry you had the oil leak issue on a new vehicle. Where in the Chicago area do you live? I'm in Brookfield and would like to see other Spiders once in a while.

There is a pump system that circulates coolant around the turbo for a few minutes after shutdown, to help cool it off. This is not mentioned in the owner's manual...

Anyway, I hope you have many happy, fun-filled miles with your new car. I know I am! Your rational side will relax as the miles go by.

Steve.
Steve, thanks for reminding me to add that to my article regarding things the dealer never tells you about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
truebill, stevet, ameridan,

Thanks very much for the replies.

Ameridan: I'm in the south-west suburbs (Woodridge) and I really like your Blog. That's very helpful.

Regarding the turbo coolant, stevet mentioned, I have a few more questions. Until Thursday night,
there was the gentle humming after shutting off the engine. Yesterday the sound turned loud and
scratchy, today, even after a 40 mile drive I didn't hear anything.
- If the coolant circulation is not working, would there be a CEL code?
- What is a reliable way of testing if it works or not?
- If it wasn't working might that hurt the turbo?

Any advice in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much again

·
Registered
191 Posts
Congratulations, Thomas, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Hi Thomas,

I'm thinking it may be time to visit the dealer's mechanic. Something seems improper. A gentle hum, yes. Louder and scratchy... uh, no. Hearing nothing at full operating temp, no, that's not right.

I hope it's something simple, but once fixed I bet everything will be just fine. These are machines, after all, and machines aren't always perfect the first time out.

Steve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts