Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an Alfa Romeo Giulia as a third car, on which the lease expired in June. Loved the car - so much personality, and a blast to drive - but was unwilling to pay the buyout price, and Ally was unwilling to negotiate, so back she went. Stewed about what to buy next, until the idea of a 124 Spider hit me. First thought about buying low-mileage used, but found a brand new, red 2018 Classica 6-speed at the same dealer that leased me the Alfa. After a bit of haggling, they made me a tremendous deal.

Loving the car so far. I like the fact that it's so simple. Sometimes too simple - I did the software/hardware upgrade for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto yesterday, which makes the multimedia system actually useful!
Thinking about adding the white double rally stripe and some new wheels, too.

Anyway, having a blast and looking forward to keeping up on the forum.

* By November the Spider will head to Florida to spend her winter!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Had an Alfa Romeo Giulia as a third car, on which the lease expired in June. Loved the car - so much personality, and a blast to drive - but was unwilling to pay the buyout price, and Ally was unwilling to negotiate, so back she went. Stewed about what to buy next, until the idea of a 124 Spider hit me. First thought about buying low-mileage used, but found a brand new, red 2018 Classica 6-speed at the same dealer that leased me the Alfa. After a bit of haggling, they made me a tremendous deal.

Loving the car so far. I like the fact that it's so simple. Sometimes too simple - I did the software/hardware upgrade for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto yesterday, which makes the multimedia system actually useful!
Thinking about adding the white double rally stripe and some new wheels, too.

Anyway, having a blast and looking forward to keeping up on the forum.

* By November the Spider will head to Florida to spend her winter!
Welcome and enjoy. It’s really an addicting car. Keep us posted on what mods you are doing. Oh yes, we are a remedial bunch and really like pictures. So....pictures or it didn’t happen.

Dan

·
Registered
335 Posts
Welcome, sounds like you got a nice car for the money. Would love to know more detail about your CarPlay upgrade. I saw another user's upgrade pics and it looked like a nightmare of dashboard disassembly to pull it off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome and enjoy. It’s really an addicting car. Keep us posted on what mods you are doing. Oh yes, we are a remedial bunch and really like pictures. So....pictures or it didn’t happen.

Dan
Understood. Here's a pic of Android Auto running on my screen, so THAT happened!
:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome, sounds like you got a nice car for the money. Would love to know more detail about your CarPlay upgrade. I saw another user's upgrade pics and it looked like a nightmare of dashboard disassembly to pull it off.
I downloaded the pdf guide posted in the thread on this forum (that's actually how I found the forum in the first place). I ordered the parts from amazon and downloaded all the software as instructed. The software upgrade was very easy. The hardware part is, in fact, a little unsettling. You need to be willing to take a good part of the dash and console apart. My wife poked her head in the garage in the middle of it, saw all the parts laying on the towels I'd put on the floor, and said "Holy s**t!" I did have a little issue when I snapped a tab off the back of a trim piece while removing it, but I was able to epoxy it back together. If you don't want to attempt it yourself, I'm told some dealers are willing to do it.

All in all, I think it was very worth it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well done! I'm "interested" in CarPlay but not so much (yet) that I'm willing to undertake the disassembly. It might happen this winter sometime when the car is idle for the season and I get the insane urge to do it! :LOL:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts