Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!

Just checking in as a Fiat 124 newbie. Got my car 3 weeks ago and have been loving it as my weekend warrior (and occasional weekday car). This thing is so much fun! Great decision to purchase.....no regrets!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
We are definitely getting a growing number of Bay Area owners. Maybe we need to get a Bay Area Spider group going on Facebook.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

What first things are you planning to do in terms of modifications and accessories? Lots of great things to pick from already

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First significant mod would likely be upgrading the roll bar. Not that I plan to race the car, but having something a bit more substantial and useful in a higher speed rollover would be good.

Oh, and I saw that Good-win racing recommends replacing the diverter valve with something that gives more consistency during acceleration. It seems an inexpensive upgrade that doesn't have much downside and some upside.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We are definitely getting a growing number of Bay Area owners. Maybe we need to get a Bay Area Spider group going on Facebook.
Sounds like a great idea!

We bought the Abarth after reading a couple of reviews about the great ride and falling in love with it on the lot. We shopped at Fiat of Burlingame (Putnam group) and we took a quick walk across the street to see the Miata. One look at the headlights of the Miata and we ran back and signed for the Abarth. (We didn't even want to test drive the Miata.) After the fact, we are reading a lot of skeptical articles discussing Fiat reliability, but most everyone seems confident that the Mazda connection will help the 124 break the curse.

Having never owned a sport-tuned or turbo-charged car, I depend upon discussions like this to learn about mods that improve upon the original design. It would be cool to have a brunch meetup somewhere where fellow enthusiasts can look at each others' modifications.

We knew nothing about the 1.4L MultiAir engine, but it sounds like a winner that owners have enjoyed tweaking in the Dodge Dart and Fiat 500. I'm trying to understand "boost" and "the diverter" and why you installed the GFB DV+. I've seen that there are also improved chip tunings available, but I'd worry about the effect on the warranty.

My questions here will be pretty basic to start -- things like audio system updates, setting up the nav system, car cover recommendations, ragtop maintenance and workarounds for the dreaded cup holders... I'm looking forward to learning from all of you!

David

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey David, welcome to the group.

Did you pick up that Red Abarth Automatic they had there? I took a look at Burlingame and test drove a red Lusso with saddle interior about 2 months ago (sweet car too). Driving the Lusso is what pulled me away from getting a MX-5 RF (which I was to leave to Arizona 3 days later....I cancelled the purchase the next day and went on an Abarth hunt).

Goodwin racing site will explain the GFB DV+, but the long and short of it is that it will deliver more consistent turbo boost. Not MORE boost (e.g. making the car faster) but more consistent boost, so the feeling of acceleration is consistent rather than some good pulls and some sub optimal pulls.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you pick up that Red Abarth Automatic they had there?
No. We got the 6-speed standard from the lot in mid-March. Our last stick shift was a 1981 Celica. After doing our duty with mini-vans and family cars, Karen wanted a car that was zippy and fun to drive like that and insisted upon a clutch.

At 6'-0 and 250 lbs, I'm frankly a little big for the car, but it isn't mine. I love driving it, but it's all hers! (I can take credit for steering her away from another 2-seater to the 124.)

Goodwin racing site will explain the GFB DV+, but the long and short of it is that it will deliver more consistent turbo boost.
Thanks for the clear description.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey Guys,

Keep me in the loop if you do create a Bay Area group. There's not much in the Central Valley in regards to our spiders. There's still only two spiders in Merced. Mine. I think I've seen one owner on this group from Fresno.

I don't mind driving up to the east bay area to meet up. About 1.5 hours to Dublin isn't bad at all.

I've had my Lusso track car since August 2016, and my white Abarth since October 2016.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I bet if this forum had stickers it would be even easier to identify owners. Years ago I noticed that's what a lot of communities had done but these days its not nearly as common. Clean seems to be the way to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts