Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I bought my Spider in December 2017, so I just passed 3k miles. Should I take it in soon for the first oil change / tune up, or should I wait for the oil change sensor to come on? I'm used to getting oil changes at standard intervals, but I wouldn't really classify my driving as "rough use," putting me in the every 4k miles category, necessarily. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
535 Posts
I plan to wait until 5000 miles before bringing mine in (at 3034 miles right now). I don't think these newer cars with the oils they sell these days need the kind of attention the older cars did. The posts I've seen say the sensor comes on around 10,000 miles, which to me is too long. I'm too ingrained in old habits to let it go that long.

·
Registered
535 Posts
P.S. - Congratulations @spideygirl on your new Spider and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I got my first change done at 3500 miles, but I will wait now until I either hit 10K miles or go a year...however, I do check it often...

·
Registered
483 Posts
I am waiting for 5K. which is coming up soon. the intervals with the use of synthetic oils have been rising. Porsche is recommending 15K intervals!!!! I think that is pushing it a little too long. for the initial oil changes I like to go to 5K to allow the engine to properly bed in. as you may notice, as your engine runs longer it's efficiency is improving. that is one of the signs of the rings wearing to match the cylinder walls (aka bedding in), and forming a tighter seal. it would have been nice if fiat was to have provided in the owner's manual a recommendation, but who reads the owner's manual anymore?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
My protocol was to drain the factory oil fill at 1000 miles. (It would have been at 500 miles, but I was having too much fun that first weekend of ownership!) Early by some standards and opinions, but I do my own changes, and yes, the oil had this beautiful metallic paint sparkle to it while in the drain pan.
(The same as every new car and motorcycle I've ever owned, as I've changed the oil this same way.) That's the wear-in metal, and I didn't want it circulating around on all the many bearing surfaces and through the oil pump. Now, this is only my opinion on the much debated first oil change. This occurred in early May '17. Mine is a summer-only car as I live in MN, so around late July, at about 4000 miles (3000 after the first flush), I changed the oil again. At the end of my season in November, I changed it at 8000 miles. Each time with a new filter, and with Pennzoil 5/40 Euro (or whatever that particular version is named, you'll see it mentioned here elsewhere), which is what the engine was filled with at the factory, and is an oil with a good reputation. In season #2 and beyond, I'll change the oil at mid-summer and again at winter shut down, regardless of miles. Yes, before winter storage. Used oil becomes a bit acidic which can lead to corrosion. I put my engines to bed with a coating of fresh motor oil throughout all their moving parts.

There are a couple very extensive oil threads in this Oils/Lubes/Fuels sub-forum advising which brands of oil should be used, I'd encourage taking a look at those, too. Moderator XtremeRevolution also sends his oil for lab analysis to track engine wear and oil breakdown. He uses Amsoil motor oil, but all oils, and engines, will show their unique break-down (oil) and continuous wear-in (the engine components).

I'm not necessarily suggesting oil change schedules or brands with my thoughts, I would just drive home the idea of routine oil replacement and using an oil that meets or exceeds the unique "MS" certification (MS12xxx?) as shown in the owner's manual. As to the factory suggested change periods, not for me, I'll be replacing my oil at 5000 miles, tops. Well, twice per season, regardless of miles, unless I have a very low-mileage season... which I just cannot imagine! Even expensive oil is cheap insurance to ensure a long, dependable engine life. It gives you lots of fun and satisfaction, return the love and treat your engine to good oil on a regular basis.

Enjoy the ride!!

Steve.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Do it now and then do it every 6,000. Remember it uses synthetic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts