Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
That is where the Navi SD card goes. You see the little rectangular slot in the top? Carefully use a small flat screwdriver or pic tool to gently pop the cover off then you can remove the white tab.

Greg "Lefty"

·
Registered
30 Posts
I see it after I zoomed in on the pic. Thanks Lefty! Would finger nail work? Or that cover is super shut tight?
Welcome!
Uh you can try I dunno how tight they are with the tag still in. You could use your nail to start it off and pull it out like a plug with your other hand...

Greg "Lefty"

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
I see it after I zoomed in on the pic. Thanks Lefty! Would finger nail work? Or that cover is super shut tight?
The cover is pretty snug. I'd recommend the use of a small plastic pry tool of some sort. You might get it open with a fingernail, or you might rip off your fingernail in the process. Go with a pry tool. Also, note that it's a "hinged" cover, so it doesn't come entirely off, it just flips open to give you access to the SD slot.

Reactions: HeelAndToe

·
Registered
8 Posts
H&T,
If your car doesn't have GPS navigation, do yourself a favor and go to ebay, get the maps on the SD card for $30, and then put it in that spot, once you have the cover off. I think the dealer will do that for you, but they want $400 or $500.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Another excuse for me to be slothy about unwrapping and inserting the nav card. I've only had the car for four months.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your car doesn't have GPS navigation, do yourself a favor and go to ebay, get the maps on the SD card for $30, and then put it in that spot
So all our cars are nav ready? And all it takes for nav to work is a $30 SD card??? Sign me up! What's the exact search term on ebay?

·
Registered
2018 124 Spider Abarth
41 Posts
You can actually pull on the white plastic tab to get the cover off. That’s what it’s there for. Once off you can take the white tab off the cover before putting it back if the look annoys you like it did for me. Without the tab you will have to use the other methods mention above to get the cover off again.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
How much are map updates really needed? Not a lot of new roadbulding where I live. Construction and live traffic info are often the most useful things about nav systems. My 2017 Giulia didn't have them, and they were really missed.

·
Registered
2018 124 Spider Abarth
41 Posts
How much are map updates really needed? Not a lot of new roadbulding where I live. Construction and live traffic info are often the most useful things about nav systems. My 2017 Giulia didn't have them, and they were really missed.
The map updates are needed because they do more than update roads. They update businesses around the area as well. It really depends on how much you want to use it. The search options isn’t super easy to use so I tend to stick with finding the place on my phone then typing in the address on the screen.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The map updates are needed because they do more than update roads. They update businesses around the area as well. It really depends on how much you want to use it. The search options isn’t super easy to use so I tend to stick with finding the place on my phone then typing in the address on the screen.
Yeah, I’m not going to pay for the privilege of receiving advertisements.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah, I’m not going to pay for the privilege of receiving advertisements.
It's not so much advertisements as knowing if a POI is even still in business, which is more impactful now more than ever. I generally find the interface favorable once a destination is set; I wish there was an option to use cell data from my phone for Google assistant, POI database, and live traffic, but keep the factory nav.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts