Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys/gals, just brought a manual 124 Abarth few weeks ago and it's been great. However, there're a few things that are bothering me.

1. What's the best rpm to shift from 1st to 2nd? When I shift at ~2.5k rpm I basically don't get any torque and it feels like I'm lunching a Chevy Volt. But if went up to ~4k rpm, it took seconds for the engine to rev down to a comfortable range to shift to 2nd, a few guys almost reared me during that sudden and long period of no power. Is this normal for a stick? I don't know much about sticks and this is my first stick car, so I'm sorry if I just asked a dumb question.

2. Does any of you guys also get electrified after driving it? I always get shocked when touching metals like door handles after driving it. Like just now I went to get some Chinese to-go, it was a short five minutes drive and I got shocked when touching the door panel to lock the car. I'm thinking it's the gear shifter, as that's the only conductive thing I touch in the car. Is there something wrong with the car or is it just normal? I can live with it but it's just kinda annoying.

Thanks for your time and have a nice day.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I shift on the feel rather than the rpms but from 1st to 2d, it happens around 3K rpms or a little higher (in sport mode). I don't have any fall off in 2d; I'm immediately accelerating. Also I have never had any static electricity issues.
I also have an Abarth.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Aloha and welcome...I suspect living in Tucson you get static electricity shocks all the time? (not that it makes it any better.) But due to the low humidity...you'll have to live with it. Living in Hawaii. Static electricity is not the norm and I've never had that issue.

yeah...I shift be feel too. But it can be a dog if not enough throttle/gas is given. (any gear really)

aloha!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts