Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was surfing last night....No, not that kind of surfing even though I live in Glorious "Cornwall", UK but the kind of surfing most here do I would guess..."Cars and car related" and I had an idea...........Why not see if I can find my old Steel Wheels from my 1966 MGB GT, same sort of thing found on the Mercedes Benz 230 SL and many other "Classic" cars of that era. Not only did I find them but also in "ALLOY" form...17", 7.5 J and 45 offset with 4 x stud holes, chrome of painted hubcaps included, Magic. I do not have the weight details or price for x 4 yet and YES..."Bespoke" (no pun) made alloys.......
So, on my already Modified 124 Classica (so never concerned about warranty and originality purist issues) though happy with my 17" 124 Lusso alloys...I am "considering" these, so what do YOU think IMG_0060.JPG ....................Cheers
ron

IMG_0090.JPG

Reactions: Arthur

·
Registered
527 Posts
I was surfing last night....No, not that kind of surfing even though I live in Glorious "Cornwall", UK but the kind of surfing most here do I would guess..."Cars and car related" and I had an idea...........Why not see if I can find my old Steel Wheels from my 1966 MGB GT, same sort of thing found on the Mercedes Benz 230 SL and many other "Classic" cars of that era. Not only did I find them but also in "ALLOY" form...17", 7.5 J and 45 offset with 4 x stud holes, chrome of painted hubcaps included, Magic. I do not have the weight details or price for x 4 yet and YES..."Bespoke" (no pun) made alloys.......
So, on my already Modified 124 Classica (so never concerned about warranty and originality purist issues) though happy with my 17" 124 Lusso alloys...I am "considering" these, so what do YOU think View attachment 83196 ....................Cheers
ron

View attachment 83195
You know I like the Historic Alloys and they would fit straight on....
IMG_2787.jpg
IMG_2787.jpg

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
So, on my already Modified 124 Classica (so never concerned about warranty and originality purist issues) though happy with my 17" 124 Lusso alloys...I am "considering" these, so what do YOU think View attachment 83196 ....................Cheers
ron

View attachment 83195
Love the idea of anything retro.... would suit our cars down to the ground (pun intended !). Perhaps a photoshopped image would be a good idea ?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Love the idea of anything retro.... would suit our cars down to the ground (pun intended !). Perhaps a photoshopped image would be a good idea ?
AHhh....I was wondering "already", as "Gordon" wanted to flog me his "Retro's" as he has a spare set (and Spider it seems ;)) whist "tiksu" commented how Fantastic SpagBoll's wheels are then Wished us all a "Happy Easter", Same to you Matey from all of us...NOT too many Easter eggs, I bet you got the "Malteser's one Didn't you !
Then there's you "Arthur" also ticks Gordon's "My Alloys are better than your alloys x 2 photo's :love:" but no comment....
until now......"Thank's". Retro is me, still got some Bell Bottom jeans about somewhere (size 28" waist) they shrunk ! as I am 34" waist. and "Good"...that you think they would suit our Spiders down to the No Pun, but...and it's a BIG BUT ...I have No idea how to photoshop, I know the "TexasBandit" does in (and well) but he's probably busy Rodeoing or scrapping with that Big Dog of his over a Beef Steak lunch, Good Idea though if anyone can manage it.......

Come on the rest of you guys and girls out there....Positive or Negative (in which case I will never leave a "like" for you again, so there !) Just want to know "What YOU think....Please", Ta!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay "Arthur Lad".....Job Done !

IMG_0060 modified.jpg How did I do.......

·
Registered
943 Posts

...I’m joking of course, just thought it fit right in. Retro visual mods do kinda work with this car but in my opinion you have to go all out or it’s going to look like a mashup.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I think retro wheels are a cool idea on a Spider.

I went that way with my Jeep. Quadratec, a large Jeep outfitter, came out with these alloy wheels that mimic the steel wheels used on 1970s CJ Jeeps. They weigh only 22 lbs each, which in Jeep world is as featherweight as you can get.

The wheels have become a great conversation starter by total —masked— strangers.

I had a graphics expert recreate the Jeep decals

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Alfaholics recreated these period-looking 15x7 wheels in lieu of the original narrower 14-inch steel wheels.

I doubt they’d fit our Spiders, but I think they would look great on a Classica or Lusso.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think retro wheels are a cool idea on a Spider.

I went that way with my Jeep. Quadratec, a large Jeep outfitter, came out with these alloy wheels that mimic the steel wheels used on 1970s CJ Jeeps. They weigh only 22 lbs each, which in Jeep world is as featherweight as you can get.

The wheels have become a great conversation starter by total —masked— strangers.

I had a graphics expert recreate the Jeep decals
View attachment 83202
View attachment 83203
" Nice Wheels" (Heard that saying somewhere before....) But why were those Strangers wearing Masks "Aldo Lad" ?

Reactions: Aldo

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
For reference, this is what the original wheels looked like

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
" Nice Wheels" (Heard that saying somewhere before....) But why were those Strangers wearing Masks "Aldo Lad" ?
Because they are shy...?

This fellow got the wrong memo

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alfaholics recreated these period-looking 15x7 wheels in lieu of the original narrower 14-inch steel wheels.

View attachment 83204
View attachment 83205
View attachment 83206

I doubt they’d fit our Spiders, but I think they would look great on a Classical or Lusso.
Just LOVE the "Alfa Junior/GT" or whichever one it is....It seems that since they became popular in UK recently...the Motor traders have been going off to Italy, buying up all the good stuff (SOLD) and are now collecting the barn and hedgerow finds, washing them and offering them (rot included and sprayed over) to folk with more cash than common sense.......
Those "Alfaholic"alloys do look like the ones I am "considering", back in the day when I had them I wanted the "Posher" wires with knock off spinners, when I bought my second MG..with wires..I then found them a pain to clean !
Thanks for that input "Aldo".....Cheers
ron

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1617541585658.png
Without the hub caps ............

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Reactions: Brexit !

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sure thing.

There are these “mags” as well.

View attachment 83211
Mini Lights here....I prefer the 124 Lusso 17 " alloys to most alloys I look at anyway so would be happy enough to stay with them and "In Truth"..if I were to buy in a 124 Abarth...would most likely fit the 124 Lusso alloys to that (which would probably get the new purists reaching for the pill box, I reckon on about £2000.00 for the "Retro" ones, they are quality kit with Great reviews, just looking to see what you guys (with the inside track view) are seeing...
is it dewy-eyed "The Good Old Days Returning" never happen), OR.....is it..."What a load of old Cr*p" ......
Cheers
ron

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I agree, the Lusso wheels are nice. The OE Abarth wheels on the other hand...🤮 I couldn’t wait to replace them on my Spider.

I have seen people mount MX-5 Club wheels on Spiders as well. They look good, albeit in a more modern way.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts