Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

If you're in the SF Bay Area or wouldn't mind driving to the SF Bay Area for a tour on New Year's Day with other fun, like-minded Fiat (and non-Fiat) owners, FIAT America is hosting its annual New Year's Day Tour on New Year's Day. I'll be there in a 2017 Fiat 124 Spider Classica (it's not mine but belongs to a fellow club member in FIAT America - she owns 2 cars and wants to take her non-Fiat on the tour so I'll be driving her car). There could be a few other new Spiders on the tour as well as well as some classic Spiders and X1/9s. I suspect there'll be a few Porsches, some Tesla's and other brands of cars.

Here's the details. The weather forecast is for a clear day with highs in the low 60s so there's no excuse to keep the top up....

Date: Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Time: Meet starting at NOON; Driver’s Meeting 12:45 PM; On the Road at 1 PM

Starting location: Crystal Springs Village Shopping Center, 100 De Anza Blvd, San Mateo. (Restaurant/coffee shop and gas station available at the start if you need food drink or gas before the start of the tour.)

Ending location: BJ’s Restaurant and Brewhouse, 2206 Bridgepointe Pkwy, Bridgepointe Shopping Center, San Mateo.

Come join us on the first day of 2020 for a half-day tour of the Santa Cruz Mountain Range in San Mateo County and visit a few places along the way. The tour will start off at a reasonable time to allow New Year’s Eve partygoers to sleep in and still join in on this event. The tour will travel up and over the hills above San Mateo to the coast and then inland to the Town of Pescadero. The tour will be approximately 90 miles and end back in San Mateo. If you have a CB radio, please bring it along to use on the tour but it is not necessary. If you would like to borrow a club CB radio, please contact me.

Tour ends at approximately 6 PM at the Bridgepoint Shopping Center. We’ll have dinner at BJ’s Restaurant and Brewhouse after the tour if you would like to join us before heading home.

This isn't a race, but a spirited drive along some fun twisty roads we have in this area. There' never any pressure to drive faster than you feel comfortable and the club always has a "tail gunner" who brings along the rear.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I’ll be out there driving on New Year’s Day!

Larry

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We had a great turnout for the tour. I don't know that I saw all the cars, but I think we had 24 cars on the tour (we started with 23 and were joined by the 24th car in Pescadero. The owner had been to a car tour in Monterey and was heading north on 1 and saw some cars go past, made a u-turn and headed to Pescadero) The tour was broken up into 3 groups to keep the size of the groups more manageable especially for when we stopped to regroup.

The weather held - some of the roads had fog hanging over them and a few times I put the passenger window up (the top was down the entire time) when the mist/fog was coming in from that side. The tour was just under 90 miles long and included stops at Pigeon Point Lighthouse and in Pescadero before we drove to San Mateo for dinner at BJ's Brewhouse.

The cars that came out included:
3 Fiat 124 Spiders - all were 2017's including a Prima Edizione
3 Fiat 500 Abarths
1 Fiat 500 Abarth Cabrio (that I'm sorry to say had the top up all day)
4 Fiat X1/9s
2 Fiat 131 Sedans
1 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
1 Alfa Romeo Berlina
1 Lotus Esprit
2 1st generation Miata's
1 Miata (NC)
1 Tesla Model 3
1 Shelby Mustang
1 Nissan 300ZX
1 Mustang GT Convertible (the top was down for the entire tour)
1 Ferrari F355 GTS (that joined the tour in Pescadero)

Larry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts